Gransnet forums

Chat

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple…..”

(104 Posts)
Tina49 Tue 25-Jan-22 09:53:46

I thought of Jenny Joseph’s poem, when I read this (guff!?) about the Pantone colour of the year. It’s basically purple, but they’ve called it Very Peri confused

We are living in transformative times. PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri is a symbol of the global zeitgeist of the moment and the transition we are going through. As we emerge from an intense period of isolation, our notions and standards are changing, and our physical and digital lives have merged in new ways. Digital design helps us to stretch the limits of reality, opening the door to a dynamic virtual world where we can explore and create new colour possibilities. With trends in gaming, the expanding popularity of the metaverse and rising artistic community in the digital space PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri illustrates the fusion of modern life and how colour trends in the digital world are being manifested in the physical world and vice versa

www.pantone.com/uk/en/color-of-the-year-2022

Blossoming Thu 27-Jan-22 00:07:37

Love your photos nann8 and chestnut

Chestnut Thu 27-Jan-22 00:02:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeSuis Wed 26-Jan-22 23:19:27

I’ve loved purple ever since I was able to pay for my own clothes. It went well with my, then, auburn hair. Funnily enough, it now goes quite well with my dull brown, white tipped hair. Be brave, wear it with pride!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:46:30

A stunning picture Ashcombe colour co-ordinated! I am wearing purple just now! Probably makes me old!!

nanna8 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:36:59

Some of our mob

Ashcombe Wed 26-Jan-22 22:18:04

Thank you, NanKate. I bought it from Monsoon for the wedding of DD1 in 2003 and felt pleased to still fit into it (just!) in 2015! Your outfit sounds brilliant! Any photos?

NanKate Wed 26-Jan-22 22:13:58

What a fab photo Ashcombe. Love your outfit.

Purple is my fav colour too. For our Golden Wedding last October I had a lovely purple biker jacket, purple top with coloured dots and dark trousers. I had a small posy of lilac, purple and green flowers for our renewal of vows.

Ashcombe Wed 26-Jan-22 22:13:20

Thank you, Blossoming! One of my favourites of a happy occasion! ?

Blossoming Wed 26-Jan-22 22:07:28

Love the photo Ashcombe

Blossoming Wed 26-Jan-22 22:05:49

Giddygranny

We totally agree. PAOTY & LAOTY judges comments leave a lot to be desired but everyone has there own view. We just wish there weren't so many professional entrants. And as to colour, I will wear whatever colour I like, when i like no matter!

Erm, I think you’ve misread the thread.

I like Calum Stevenson, but each to their own.

Ashcombe Wed 26-Jan-22 20:58:06

Oofy

Had to Google the Red Hat Society, had never heard of it. Is it only in the US or us there a chapter in the UK?

Sorry, I meant this to appear at the top! ?

Ashcombe Wed 26-Jan-22 20:56:54

NanaCB

Does anybody remember when African Violet was all the rage, I think in the 50s? I remember my mother had a costume ( aka a suit for you younger ones!) in that colour.

There are several chapters in various parts of the world, including England. When I married olddudders, I was a member of our local chapter and some of the ladies attended our wedding in Cockington, Devon, forming a guard of honour with their hats! Here's a photo of me with my lovely Red Hat sisters after the ceremony.

NanaCB Wed 26-Jan-22 20:24:35

Does anybody remember when African Violet was all the rage, I think in the 50s? I remember my mother had a costume ( aka a suit for you younger ones!) in that colour.

Oofy Wed 26-Jan-22 19:00:53

Had to Google the Red Hat Society, had never heard of it. Is it only in the US or us there a chapter in the UK?

TheOtherCatsMother Wed 26-Jan-22 18:46:55

Whoever wrote that has a very vivid imagination.

Mind you if I was paying a subscription to them I would want something a bit more exotic than ' and this month we are again revisiting purple'.

tictacnana Wed 26-Jan-22 17:16:34

In Ancient Greece it was forbidden to wear any shade of purple -presumably even veri- peri . It was known as the sin of huberis. I can think of a certain public figure who may have changed out of his party clothes into PJs of this hue if the definition of this word is anything to go by. Just saying.

madeleine45 Wed 26-Jan-22 16:52:35

Yes , I must find the poetry book that I have her poems in and enjoy reminding myself of it. As I am so ancient (76) I remember the last time but one when purple was "de rigeur" and I was singing then so the height of fashion then for a nightclub sort of place was an all in one , wide purple trousers coming up to a sleeveless top with a little collar. It looked great with a largish silver pendant and I felt quite smart in it , apart from the fact that it zipped up the back and if you went to the ladies you had to hope there was someone in there to help you get the zip going down as there was a safety little hook to stop it slipping by accident .! There was another patch of purple being popular and I got a great cashmere jumper in the sale which lasted for years. I dont even bother looking at fashion things, just chose what I want or suits my needs. Very occasionally I would see a picture of something I already had from years ago and would remark to my husband "Oh I am back in fashion again"

Mallin Wed 26-Jan-22 16:21:39

Laura……. I’m still giggling!

Alioop Wed 26-Jan-22 14:35:42

I'm a red head and they say purple is one of the best colours to wear after green tones. I love to wear blues, especially royal blue, but I've bought a purple floral dress for a wedding which will probably surprise a few friends.

Mummer Wed 26-Jan-22 14:32:14

HannahLoisLuke

I wouldn’t wear purple myself, to me it’s a funeral colour but I do like the pastel shades of lavender and lilac. Would never use it in home decor though. Just sets my teeth on edge.

That's weird as I hated any form of purple when young cos my mum had a ridiculous lilac crimplene trouser suit and she looked a right marshmallow In it!!! As I've matured (ahem) I adore a bit of purple dark mysterious and very flattering to my Auburn hair, it took maybe 35 years but I've come around tuit!

Mummer Wed 26-Jan-22 14:29:53

Luuuurve a bit of sky-blue pink, but with yellow spots on!?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 26-Jan-22 14:06:51

I wouldn’t wear purple myself, to me it’s a funeral colour but I do like the pastel shades of lavender and lilac. Would never use it in home decor though. Just sets my teeth on edge.

Tina49 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:17:21

trisher

Sorry I read the link as Panettone and thought there was a new purple Christmas bread!

Ha, ha, love it!

Tina49 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:16:25

Spec1alk

Very peri in my socks- trendy?

Ooh, you’re ahead of the game there!! grin

Grantanow Wed 26-Jan-22 13:13:32

Perhaps Boris should hire them to spin his story!