Gransnet forums

Chat

Panorama. The Dairy Industry

(106 Posts)
Sloegin Tue 15-Feb-22 23:16:19

Did anyone watchthe Panorama programme about dairy cows last night? It was deeply distressing and has seriously prompted me to become a vegan. I'm a farmer's daughter and, when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was all on a much smaller scale and I never witnessed such cruelty towards animals. Cows were milked twice a day and I'm pretty sure the calves weren't separated from the mothers so early. I become a vegetarian in the 80s as I disapproved of intensive farming but still ate dairy. I have been using organic milk in the hope that the cows are better treated. Milk is just too cheap. People have been willing to pay little more for free range eggs when they realised that caging hens was cruel so I would hope that people would pay more for milk if welfare standards were higher. Cheap food generally means a vulnerable person or animal is paying the price.

Chestnut Sat 26-Feb-22 09:55:31

Well, as no-one has roundly condemned goat milk I'm going to assume it's okay and will try that.

Chestnut Fri 25-Feb-22 17:37:55

I tried oat milk today but really can't manage oat-flavoured tea. Yuk!

What about goats' milk, does anyone know about that? It is supposed to be highly beneficial for my blood group.

choughdancer Mon 21-Feb-22 20:40:01

Well said CoolCoco an JillyJosie2. Even organic dairy farms are far from ideal. For me the only option was to become vegan, which I did 7 or 8 years ago. I was a huge lover of cheese and butter and expected to find the process very hard. In fact it was easy, and I've discovered so much yummy food I can eat! I've put on weight rather than losing it! Salted caramel chocolate tart anyone?

JillyJosie2 Mon 21-Feb-22 15:18:49

Really sad CoolCoco, I have read something similar. I have talked to people who live near dairy farms who have told me that they couldn't cope with the sad calling of the cows for their calves after they were taken away. They call for 24 hours. Cows aren't stupid, I agree, and being mammals they have the same instinctual and emotional responses as us. So sad to think of their lives.

CoolCoco Mon 21-Feb-22 13:33:29

Just read a horrific article about dairy cows - they are artificially impregnated from 1-2 years of age in a contraption some farmers call "rape racks". Their calves are removed and they are milked and impreganted continuously till they are exhausted at about 3- 6 years of age ( normal life span would be 20 years) then sent for slaughter. Male calves are often killed at birth, females destined for the same exploitation as their mother. Dairy cows are not stupid creatures - they can communicate by touch , smell, vocalisations and body language.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 21-Feb-22 12:03:25

You're welcome smile

tickingbird Sat 19-Feb-22 14:44:46

Thank you WIWYA

Shinamae Fri 18-Feb-22 11:50:09

CBBL

WARNING - Controversial Opinion!

I have long held the view that adult humans do not need Cows Milk. Humans are the only species that drink a food produced by an animal for it's own young. Would anyone drink milk produced by a dog for her pups? or a Horse for it's foal? I also think it is cruel to keep an animal constantly pregnant in order to take it's milk for human consumption.

....(dons hard hat in preparation for sharp words, and heavy objects).

I rarely drink milk of any kind (I drink Peppermint tea, or plain tap water), but do sometimes buy Oat Milk for my husband, who loves traditional porridge.

Unfortunately, so many people have no idea where their food comes from. I was in tears at this programme. Such cruelty is inexcusable and unforgivable!

Very well said ??????????????

Wheniwasyourage Fri 18-Feb-22 11:49:45

tickingbird, organic milk must be produced from cattle which are not give antibiotics or hormones to increase yield and promote growth, and must have at least 30% of their diet from pasture. Organic farmers are certified by the Soil Association and you can see their logo on all sort of organic foods.

Nanniejude Fri 18-Feb-22 11:44:31

I have bought organic milk since watching this sad program. I will try and persevere with oat milk as well.

Ellylanes1 Fri 18-Feb-22 00:27:53

Would paying double or triple the price for milk deter the disgusting behaviour of some humans toward livestock?
I'd pay willingly, but doubt it would make a difference to man with big boots or shovel.

Shirls52000 Thu 17-Feb-22 20:47:30

I’m not vegan but did do Veganuary a few years ago and I was using oat milk, I ve continued to use oat milk as I prefer the taste now to normal milk and it’s much better for the planet

stewaris Thu 17-Feb-22 19:06:16

#Shazzakanazza when I was a child we only had chicken on special occasions as it was so expensive. I think factory farming has made chicken really cheap, pardon the pun, and People expect to always be cheap. I buy from a local organic farm shop which stocks only organic/higher welfare meat and a chicken there ranges from £15-23 depending on size. We tend to buy thighs/legs/breast rather than a full chicken. We don't eat a lot of meat but all the meat and produce we buy is organic. We also buy organic milk and cheese from there too. Expensive for a cheeseaholic but at least I know the animals are being treated well.We just mainly eat veggies (organic either bought or grown) and I grow as much as I can in my garden. We all have to take responsibility to ensure the food we put into our body is of the best quality both for us and teh animals and workers who provide it.

icanhandthemback Thu 17-Feb-22 18:32:27

One branch of our family were farmers with one of them being dairy farmers. He gave up years ago because of the pressure of producing a product with so little return and went into breeding rare breed. His cows were treated with kindness which is more than you could say for the young girls he met but that is another story.

Pedwards Thu 17-Feb-22 18:22:05

Didn’t and wouldn’t watch this. I know you what the issues are and try to shop accordingly. I always buy organic milk from places I know will pay the producers a fair price. I do have a weakness for cheese though, but buy local produce from a local shop. Free range eggs and very little meat. I try to buy sustainably sourced fish. I appreciate that not everyone could afford to do this.

tickingbird Thu 17-Feb-22 17:27:18

Sandelf. With organic milk what exactly is the difference from ordinary milk? I must admit I love tea and it’s not the same with plant milk so if organic milk is produced with far less stress to cows I’ll happily pay more.

sandelf Thu 17-Feb-22 17:12:11

sandelf

Buy the best organic milk you can and use less. The substitutes are not milk, do not replace the nutrients are carbon and additive heavy.

Whole milk is a useful source of protein. Older people tend to loose protein and hence strength. nutrition.org/going-nuts-about-milk-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-plant-based-milk-alternatives/#:~:text=Dairy%2Dalternative%20milks%20tend%20to,with%20other%20vitamins%20and%20nutrients.

Deedaa Thu 17-Feb-22 16:31:49

When the children were small we had goats and I found that a goat produced enough milk for her (usually two) kids and for us to use in the house so no need to separate them. Unfortunately this doesn't work in commercial production.

maryjane546 Thu 17-Feb-22 16:28:03

I heard about the program on radio 4 and I cried when I heard about the cow being hit in the face. It upset me for the rest of the day and even now when I think about it. I was brought up on a dairy farm and we loved our cows. They each were registered with a name as they were pedigree Ayrshires. The naming was always done alphabetically to a theme. For example Floers - Aster, buttercup, cowslip, daisy; Complimentary adjectives - Attracive, Bonny, Cute, Dainty. Dad once went through the Greek alphabet. Alpha. Beta, Gamma, Delta

tickingbird Thu 17-Feb-22 16:25:01

CBBL. Your opinion isn’t controversial and you shouldn’t need to don a hard hat. As I stated upthread many people, myself included, just don’t think about milk and it’s production. We take it for granted and it’s horrific, as is all factory farming.

In days gone by a farmer’s family helping themselves to some milk from a cow has turned into a massive industry. I drink milk but have increasingly turned to plant milk, mostly oat.

Here in the West we waste so much and eat and drink far more than we need.

I didn’t watch the programme as I find it too distressing but I hope it makes people think and, hopefully, find alternatives.

MaizieD Thu 17-Feb-22 16:23:40

Apologies for typos and duff formatting...

MaizieD Thu 17-Feb-22 16:23:07

^ Would anyone drink milk produced by a dog for her pups? or a Horse for it's foal?^

Actually, mare's milk is drunk in some cultures. Also sheep's mil and goat's milk.

An animal can continue to lactate long after its offspring could be weaned. Milk production is a result of the stimulation of the teats by the baby whatever. So, as with Dianehb1957's goats, milk production isn't dependent on constant pregnancy and birth.

Do we have any dairy farmers here? If they dare raise their heads above the parapet perhaps they could tell us if it's necessary for a cow to produce a calf every year.

vegansrock Thu 17-Feb-22 16:20:40

Basically it’s grown ups drinking baby milk but not human baby milk ( which would make more sense) but milk intended for the babies of a different species. Totally unnecessary.

CBBL Thu 17-Feb-22 16:13:47

WARNING - Controversial Opinion!

I have long held the view that adult humans do not need Cows Milk. Humans are the only species that drink a food produced by an animal for it's own young. Would anyone drink milk produced by a dog for her pups? or a Horse for it's foal? I also think it is cruel to keep an animal constantly pregnant in order to take it's milk for human consumption.

....(dons hard hat in preparation for sharp words, and heavy objects).

I rarely drink milk of any kind (I drink Peppermint tea, or plain tap water), but do sometimes buy Oat Milk for my husband, who loves traditional porridge.

Unfortunately, so many people have no idea where their food comes from. I was in tears at this programme. Such cruelty is inexcusable and unforgivable!

Mollygo Thu 17-Feb-22 16:05:38

There is more calcium in watercress. Perhaps watercress juice on my cereal is the way to go.