Gransnet forums

Chat

I haven’t seen that before

(39 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 27-Feb-22 08:21:32

After watching the ITN news this morning there was a very emotional report from a lady reporter in Ukraine who was having to try hard not to cry, as it panned back onto news reader Charlene White, she was wiping a tear from her cheek I have never seen a news reader having to work so hard to stop their emotions , she did well but it shows how much this is effecting everyone. far and wide
The news is heartbreaking for Ukraine but for the Russians as well and all we can do is offer our hearts maybe money or goods but how ever much we talk about it we cannot stop the heartbreak, the death, the destruction it is all down to ONE MAN

Cardina Wed 27-Apr-22 13:49:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Mar-22 12:00:59

If you are a reporter, where else would you want to be just now?
I would want to be in the thick of it personally.

Photo journalists would want to be there too. Think of Philip Jones-Griffiths, Margaret Bourke-White and my favourite photographer with his behind the lines work - Don McCullin. These people and others have made profound, moving and instructive images. The pictures that have moved the world.

Conflicts need great journalists - both "regular" and photo- to try to bring the truth out on behalf of the people.

henetha Tue 01-Mar-22 11:11:09

I don't think it's just the BBC. Other broadcasters have reporters there too, I think. I'm very concerned about all of them, and of course all the brave people of Ukraine who are going through unbelievable hell just because of one man's paranoia.
I just googled it, and yes, many broadcasters have reporters actually in Ukraine. James Mates from ITV; Mark Austin from Sky news, etc. etc. Loads of them apparently.

Marmight Tue 01-Mar-22 10:49:52

‘I just hope Putin decides to visit the front, and one of his own shoots him in the back’

Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen. At the meeting with his Govt ‘ministers’ yesterday he sat 10 meters distant from them as is his habit. He is totally paranoid and probably won’t move from the safety of his bunker, more’s the pity
I too worry about all the Press in Ukraine but the suffering of the desperate people, particularly the children & babies is what keeps me awake

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Mar-22 10:23:48

My hope is that our wonderful SAS have another agenda and they find that little bastard.

Callistemon21 Tue 01-Mar-22 10:18:38

I can remember Clive Myrie reporting from other war-torn countries but perhaps some of you are too young to remember.

Callistemon21 Tue 01-Mar-22 10:17:13

Clive Myrie is not just a newsreader, he's an experienced journalist and war correspondent. I think the reason Clive is in Kiev is as an anchorman, coordinating reports from other reporters in other areas.

Clive's career has seen him report from more than 80 countries, including covering wars in Croatia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, and the rise and fall of the Taliban. Clive has a particular interest in US politics and has covered four Presidential races, including Barack Obama’s victory in 2008 and his inauguration the following year. In 2013 he co-anchored coverage of Nelson Mandela’s funeral from South Africa.

weeducky Tue 01-Mar-22 10:07:18

Mummer

henetha

I feel quite worried about Clive Myrie and other reporters in Ukraine now. They are so brave. How will they get out if they need to, with all flights stopped and all roads leading westwards heaving with people naturally trying to escape?

Quite. I'm wondering why they are in there in the first place? There are excellent journals already in the region reporting fantastically well under extreme circs .so why the shipping in of news readers? Deeply questionable decisions by bbc-again.

I completely agree with you Mummer. Clive Myrie is a newsreader. Why is he over in Ukraine interviewing excellent journalists and correspondents who are already in the region and who can relay all the information themselves. Fantastic people like Lyse Doucet, Orla Guerin and Steve Rosenberg to mention a few. It seems to be the usual BBC 'thing' these days of reporters interviewing other reporters, Aunty BEEB seems to have lost it's way recently.

Mummer Mon 28-Feb-22 19:14:04

Estrellita

How can one man terrorise the whole world?!

Because nobody can get close enough to put one in him

Mummer Mon 28-Feb-22 19:13:05

henetha

I feel quite worried about Clive Myrie and other reporters in Ukraine now. They are so brave. How will they get out if they need to, with all flights stopped and all roads leading westwards heaving with people naturally trying to escape?

Quite. I'm wondering why they are in there in the first place? There are excellent journals already in the region reporting fantastically well under extreme circs .so why the shipping in of news readers? Deeply questionable decisions by bbc-again.

Madashell Mon 28-Feb-22 18:00:07

Putin has been in power for too long - he believes he is invincible and has been allowed by the rest of the world to push Russia’s boundaries forwards.

What I have been thinking about is why the world has not reacted in the same way to other aggressive onslaughts into other countries eg Britain and the USA invading Iraq x no one has been brought to justice for what could be described as war crimes.

Are we being hypocritical?

MaggsMcG Mon 28-Feb-22 17:55:04

So what is different here than the Takiban taking over in Afganistan. Surely there are enough similarities that both countries civilians deserve the same considerations.

Estrellita Mon 28-Feb-22 17:49:11

How can one man terrorise the whole world?!

Jens Mon 28-Feb-22 17:29:20

If I dare to jog people's history, all these historic tinpot dictators were just one man, where it all started.
The world is a different place than even 90 yes ago when Herr Hitler reared his ugly head.
We need to stop this wee little man, now. He's already done far too much damage in this world.

Dianehillbilly1957 Mon 28-Feb-22 15:31:29

Tears well up every time I see the news! Just delivered unwanted clothes and toiletries to local hall to be collected and taken on to Poland for the fleeing people.. At least I've been able to help a little bit, and that gives me a sense of doing something good..
Like the whole world, praying this is over quickly and Putrid Putin, this evil idiot is gotten rid of!!

BlueBelle Mon 28-Feb-22 15:28:01

Well some do get caught Salam Hussain and Col Gadaffe to name two maybe that will happen and can’t be soon enough

Alioop Mon 28-Feb-22 15:21:44

grandtanteJE65 hear hear! My thoughts exactly

grandtanteJE65 Mon 28-Feb-22 13:55:16

TwiceAsNice

I’ve followed al the reports since last Thursday and am in awe of Ukraine.

Why hasn’t someone taken Putin out? Surely someone can assassinate him, the man is another Hitler, he is deranged !

Probably because like Saddam Hussein and Hitler no-one is able to get near enough to him.

Attempts were made on the two dictators I have mentioned and probably on all and every other dictator. Most of them are paranoid and even those willing to risk their own lives to kill a dictator is highly unlikely to get near enough to him to accomplish the task.

I just hope Putin decides to visit the front, and one of his own shoots him in the back.

Sheian62 Mon 28-Feb-22 13:54:38

I think there will be private experts working in Ukraine not in military fatigues, guiding them in the fight against the Russian enemy. I just hope that the negotiations between the politicians who are holding talks today will reach agreement. I never thought I would see war in Europe in my lifetime. Thought it was all behind us and lessons had been learned. Interesting how its usually greedy narcisstic men with egos who have no regard for the welfare of other humans.

Seabreeze Mon 28-Feb-22 13:41:47

Twiceasnice. This is what I’ve been saying. Is his sanctuary totally impenetrable I wonder! What about our fabulous SAS.

Alioop Mon 28-Feb-22 13:38:30

Just looking at those little kids faces is enough to make anyone weep. It's heartbreaking ?

EmilyHarburn Mon 28-Feb-22 13:35:01

Very very worrying. I remember VE day and an now it seems we are back to Chamberlain's 'Peace in our time speech.' I think that unless the West stands firm now we will be into World War 111 by autumn and it will be a nuclear war. I think that Putin has lost so much face that he may well just act like the 'baddie' in the Bond films and send a set of bombs to capital cities all over the world except of course China.

Fernhillnana Mon 28-Feb-22 13:31:07

My lovely doctor son admits he is lying awake at night worrying about the war. How horrible it all is.

ALANaV Mon 28-Feb-22 13:21:44

So awful ...I have Russian friends who are worried about family still living in Russia .....not heard from them for some time and no way to get through to them ...........like most wars or conflicts, this is nothing the people of either Russia or Ukraine want, just the politicians as usual and its the people who suffer ....from what I have seen on TV it seems the people of Ukraine are rallying to the cause admirably, but it is so unnecessary and so sad it has come to this. Now he is threatening to put nuclear armaments on stand by ......the trouble is, if NATO countries go to help, it WILL definitely lead to a third world war ....so what we can all do to help is limited to helping the refugees by donations ....feels sad we can not do more

Doglessfornow Mon 28-Feb-22 13:17:14

Where is James Bond when we need him?