Gransnet forums

Chat

2022 Grand National. Are you having a flutter?

(127 Posts)
Sago Sat 09-Apr-22 09:04:11

Today is the Grand National, as I am more Irish than English horse racing is in my blood, I love this race.
I only bet twice a year once on the Grand National and then Listowel races in September..
Are any of you having a punt?

Any Second Now and Snow Leopardess are two of my choice.

nightowl Sat 09-Apr-22 10:33:47

The letter in the article is from 1922 Urmstongran and the author was trying to justify the race in a year when there was sheer carnage. Only five horses finished from a field of thirty-two. There were two horses killed. I’m not sure we have come very far in a hundred years. Either way, the fact that horses continue to die with such regularity (and acceptance) tells me the people running the race, and those supporting it, don’t care much for the welfare of the horses forced to take part.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Apr-22 10:40:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Apr-22 10:43:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

Blossoming Sat 09-Apr-22 10:46:38

No, I don’t gamble.

Zoejory Sat 09-Apr-22 10:51:17

In two minds about this. I have a couple of horses myself, old ladies who are just adorable and love their polo mints.

I grew up with horses and my parents had a racehorse at one point. Never ran I the National.

Now I cannot watch this race. I used to. Used to bet on it. Won a small fortune the L'Escargot won. Well it was to me at. the age of 15. Of course my father put the money on.

The course is much safer than it was. Bechers Brook has been modified. There are years when no horse is killed at this main race.

But I don't want to see horses killed. It bothers me greatly. I would like to point out that these horses are extremely well looked after. Not fair to suggest the owners/trainers/jockeys don't care about them.

But I don't like it. Ban horse racing people say. I can see that point of view

But we'd have to euthanise an awful lot of horses if we did.

Coastpath Sat 09-Apr-22 10:54:06

I don’t gamble and I love horses so Grand National is not for me but each to their own.

You speaks for me too Redhead56.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Apr-22 10:54:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Refers to deleted post

Ilovecheese Sat 09-Apr-22 10:54:08

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Apr-22 10:57:11

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Apr-22 10:59:42

ilovecheese you make an excellent point there.
The more ‘prolific’ posters such as Urms (and me) often get it in the neck. We’re easy targets.

Re The Grand National
Last year I did a virtual sweepstake on here;
I was in two minds whether to do it again this year.
But I don’t think that I will bother

rafichagran Sat 09-Apr-22 10:59:59

Zoejory Sat 09-Apr-22 11:00:17

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Apr-22 11:00:48

Coastpath Sat 09-Apr-22 11:02:04

old ladies who are just adorable and love their polo mints.

That lovely image of your dear horses has made my day Zoejory

The response to Urmstongran was very harsh. I have to say though that the 'Why not? What else are we doing? grin' comment did make me think Urm was (perhaps unintentionally) provocative and rubbing it in that she was casually going to see the horse slaughter as she didn't have anything more diverting to occupy her. I know from her posts that Urm is an animal lover so I can't think she meant it that way. Just my take on it.

Yammy Sat 09-Apr-22 11:05:22

Not any more.When young I worked with an Irish girl and she always encouraged me, we had to find a horse that linked to her father's name in remembrance of him.
My own GF had a lot of Irish heritage and used to sneak out and put a bet on it. My gran used to castigate him as she detested anything to do with what she perceived as animal cruelty, having partly been brought up on a farm that also breed pit ponies.
I won't be watching.

Jody1234 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:07:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Sago Sat 09-Apr-22 11:09:29

Urmstongran Sat 09-Apr-22 11:09:36

You’re right Coastpath my flippant remark was just a silly throwaway line. I do indeed love animals.

I think I must be like Marmite. My views don’t chime with 85% of GN posters.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Apr-22 11:12:45

My father was from a horse racing family. In Ludlow.
More trainers and jockeys than you could shake a stick at.
He’d be horrified at the abuse I was receiving!

Coastpath Sat 09-Apr-22 11:16:59

I think we're all like Marmite Urmstongran You are just more forthright when starting conversations and less cautious about expressing your views that some. That's why you are a big part of why Gransnet is the entertaining and thought provoking place it is.

I like Marmite.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Apr-22 11:18:05

Aw thank you! What a nice thing to say. ??

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:21:45

I have owned and been around horses all my life, it is nigh on impossible to make a horse (any horse) do something it doesn’t want to.

The fences are safer now than they have ever been, the horses are some of the most pampered animals on the planet.

Any horse death is one too many, especially on the roads which according to the British Horse Society two horses are killed every week on U.K. roads, along with many many injuries to both horse and rider.

As for the rudeness directed towards Urmstongran I always feel that when a poster resorts to being rude and insulting to another they have lost the argument.

Audi10 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:22:27

Yes, we will have a flutter snow leopardess

Jody1234 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:28:11

The quote from the Times is an old one from the archive.
82 horses have died in the Grand National, 11 in recent years.

I feel passionate about cruelty to animals and this is cruelty.
Everyone is entitled to have a bet, I am not saying that, each to their own, but the race is cruel. And I haven't lost the argument at all, thank you.

BlueSky Sat 09-Apr-22 11:29:33

GrannyGravy13
“As for the rudeness directed towards Urmstongran I always feel that when a poster resorts to being rude and insulting to another they have lost the argument.”
My sentiments exactly GG.