Gransnet forums

Chat

o that this too too solid flesh should melt.....

(100 Posts)
petunia Tue 19-Apr-22 09:10:07

I saw a photograph today showing male mannequins in a men's shop. The mannequins were all very overweight with huge bellies. The male mannequins were easily into the morbidly obese category.

With parts of the women's fashion industry catering for larger ladies also, with very rounded models, often morbidly obese, is this the way forward? Having slim mannequins shows off clothes beautifully and for most people, slim is healthier. But most women aren't tall and slender, many are short and round.

Are we normalising a growing trend of obesity or is this just reflecting reality? Will we become so used to the larger models that we accept our own increasing waistlines as normal.

Norah Thu 02-Feb-23 13:33:23

"Debenhams are no strangers to challenging the norm when it comes to advertising their women’s clothing ranges in their stores. Instead of using familiar images of classically beautiful and unrealistically thin- women, the high street chain has decided to celebrate diversity. 2013 has been a year in which Debenhams led a revolution in fair representation of the female body. They were the first high street store to use disabled models, and its nationwide Summer 2013 campaign used an unusually varied range of models, including an amputee, a plus size model and a 69 year old, figures not often seen plastered on billboards and shop windows. Debenhams also recently banned the airbrushing of its lingerie models, a move that saved money and gained the company widespread respect."
3 DECEMBER 2013|
Why We Need Size 16 Mannequins
Shout Out UKBY SHOUT OUT UK

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Feb-23 22:24:50

My plump friends used to insult me all the time calling me skinny. I wouldn’t dream of telling them they were too plump —fat—

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 22:19:09

I think it would be quite easy for mannequin makers to make, say when they make a set for a shop, to include small, medium, large, and larger - one could be busty, one could have long legs, one could be rounder with long legs, one could be....

This post is unfortunate, juat as the notion that there should be ''sugar controls for processed foods" (or whatever term is).

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 22:09:36

songstress60

I don't want to look at manequins of overweight people. Don't care if this is body shaming. We have an obesity crisis in UK and people need to face up to it. Being fat is NOT normal and should not be normalised.

Fat shaming is not normal either. If you don't want to look at overweight people close your eyes.

Honestly, I thought we got past this years ago with Bridget Jones and Love Actually.. as Hugh Grant pointed out "oooo, would we call her chubbie?"

It's just not kind at all to judge people by weight.

Oreo Wed 01-Feb-23 21:19:12

MissAdventure

I can see the way this is heading...

So can I 😬
I’ll just say that I’ve just eaten half a fruit malt loaf with butter, and tiptoe away.

Musicgirl Wed 01-Feb-23 20:51:27

Dillonsgranma

I seem to be tubular these days. ! So I need to see tubular mannequins who are size 16 with a tummy !
Fat hope ??

I’m always amused at the fact that fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing. Either way, it’s a very fat chance that l will be slim anytime soon.

M0nica Wed 01-Feb-23 20:46:34

But where would it stop? Some women have long legs, others short, some women are big busted, others not. Some pear shaped, some not, then there are shor waisted women etc.

If every variation of body shape has to be covered together with obesity, Oh, what about those people who are skeletally thin - shouldn't anorexic people be included because not including them would be shaming them or excluding them.

Lets go back to standard models in standard sizes and standard shapes. I worked out as a teenager, to avoid heavily cinched waists because I don't have a waist and that dresses like that made me look enormous

BlueBelle Wed 01-Feb-23 20:37:43

I ve never seen a large mannequin in any shops round here neithe male of female they re all still size 10/ 12

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 01-Feb-23 20:26:50

I see the typically self-righteous are at it again. Weight is an emotive issue for some.

Hennahead Wed 01-Feb-23 19:45:35

Think I am about the size of the mannequin! size 18. There again I have put on weight since the menopause (2 stone) and wasn't overweight when I was young. It does seem to be normalised now and of course, it is unhealthy. It's just far more difficult to loose the weight when you are older. I am dieting and exercising and have lost 5lbs. Lng way to go though. . .

hollysteers Sun 24-Apr-22 16:13:24

Yes, we are a nation with too many obese people, but many of us will never find it normal.
In defence of lifelong overweight people, I’m pretty sure you all will have/had one member in your family who is just that. Particularly in large families. Often you can see the connection with a grandparent or other relative. Two sisters, one plump (or ‘Bonny ’ as my DM used to say) and one slim, but both on the same diet. There is a difference however between overweight and morbidly obese, which is common now and sometimes aggressively displayed with pride.
I find the comment re anorexia regarded as being an illness and obesity a character flaw very interesting.
Can’t quote as going back will lose my comment.

Esspee Sun 24-Apr-22 15:52:54

If I had lost an inch in height I would be worried that I had osteoporosis and insisting on getting treatment to stop it getting worse.

LOUISA1523 Sun 24-Apr-22 15:42:55

glammagran

When I went for my NHS health check the nurse measured my height and I’d lost an inch (I wasn’t aware I had) so 5’4” has become 5’3”. This had quite a drastic effect on my BMI putting me a little below obese. What a difference 2 years make. I’ve also got very high BP which is new. Telephone appointment next week. As I wear size 14 and sometimes a 12 I felt quite offended.

This season’s midi dresses on the whole don’t suit anyone under 5’10” I think. Although my 5’4” size 8 daughter looks fine in one. I really don’t. And yes, I think different size models are the way forward.

Why were you offended?

LOUISA1523 Sun 24-Apr-22 15:41:01

A 'healthy weight' is not the same as being healthy....it relates to your BMI ....if your BMI is above 25 then your weight is not considered healthy

Chestnut Thu 21-Apr-22 15:33:43

Hithere

Then 50 pics are needed

Using that generic illustration is denying the reality that all our bodies are unique and there is something wrong with us because we do not fit that mould

Well maybe you can find 50 pictures. This is just a general guide, not a definitive detail of every body type. ?‍♀️

PinkCosmos Thu 21-Apr-22 14:42:28

I saw these pictures in an article a while ago. They are full body scans of an obese person and a slim person.

I saved them as it shows how much internal fat the obese person has compared to the slim person.

Gave me food for thought - pardon the pun grin

Hithere Thu 21-Apr-22 13:33:32

Then 50 pics are needed

Using that generic illustration is denying the reality that all our bodies are unique and there is something wrong with us because we do not fit that mould

Chestnut Thu 21-Apr-22 12:31:31

Hithere

That illustration does not account for different body types - she seems to have a straight silhouette

How about curvy, triangle, inverted triangle, etc.? Not everybody carries the weight the same way and distributed equally

That is just a rough indication of thin/normal/fat. If you want all body types then we'd need about 50 pictures.

Antonia Thu 21-Apr-22 11:03:59

GagaJo

I look exactly like my granny (think Norah Batty).

I'm very active and do more now than at 40.

Why should I not see mannequins that have my shape? I'm paying for clothes just like slender women.

If they want my money, they need to meet my needs.

Fashion has never been about health. If it was, we wouldn't have size zero models and mannequins.

Have a look at the Snag Tights website if you want to see models that are short and round. (I accidentally posted about this on the other thread about weight).

I wish Snag Tights would start making dresses, as I'd really like to see dresses on models who are more like my height and shape.

argymargy Thu 21-Apr-22 07:04:54

glammagran

When I went for my NHS health check the nurse measured my height and I’d lost an inch (I wasn’t aware I had) so 5’4” has become 5’3”. This had quite a drastic effect on my BMI putting me a little below obese. What a difference 2 years make. I’ve also got very high BP which is new. Telephone appointment next week. As I wear size 14 and sometimes a 12 I felt quite offended.

This season’s midi dresses on the whole don’t suit anyone under 5’10” I think. Although my 5’4” size 8 daughter looks fine in one. I really don’t. And yes, I think different size models are the way forward.

Why are you offended? You’ve been identified as having significant health risks - you were previously overweight and now bordering on obese, with high blood pressure. Presumably the telephone appointment is to discuss ways to lower your risk. If it’s not already obvious, you’re at risk of heart attack, stroke, a variety of cancers and osteoarthritis (and that’s just the main ones).

Hithere Thu 21-Apr-22 02:30:29

That illustration does not account for different body types - she seems to have a straight silhouette

How about curvy, triangle, inverted triangle, etc.? Not everybody carries the weight the same way and distributed equally

Chestnut Thu 21-Apr-22 00:08:23

This illustrates the correct weights in case anyone has forgotten what they look like. The one on the left is skinny and the one on the right obese. The one in the middle is the normal weight we should be aiming for. Those are the mannequins I would like to see.

glammagran Wed 20-Apr-22 23:00:13

CanadianGran Wed 20-Apr-22 22:48:26

I'm really of mixed mind (as usual). The Nike mannequin is large, but promoting exercise clothing, and everyone needs to have comfortable clothing promoting fitness. The model in Lizzypopbottle's sewing pattern is morbidly obese. I know she's not a mannequin, but somehow I think the more we keep allowing for bigger and bigger bodies the more we promote ill health.

Stadium and theatre seats are now made bigger, sofas and chairs as well. Restaurants now have to worry about being sued if a chair collapses (the average weight capacity for chairs is 250 lb). Disneyland and other theme parks have had to create special seats on their rides in order for safely harnesses to fit. Do we keep making everything bigger? I'm not sure we should. I don't want anyone to feel bad about their body, and I know there are genetic tendencies for heavier weights, but there must be some societal limits of what is acceptable.

Ducking for cover.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 22:23:30

I think namsnanny meant that people would be sensitive to someone who was underweight, whereas some don't care if they offend an overweight person.