Gransnet forums

Chat

Noise noise everywhere

(107 Posts)
Vintagejazz Sun 24-Apr-22 09:34:59

Everytime I get on a bus the person beside me or behind me is yak yakking into a phone.

Every shop is playing loud thumpy thump music.

Every teenager seems to shout not talk.

Every cafe is full of shrieking kids, loud hissing coffee machines and aforesaid awful music.

Even libraries aren't the peaceful sanctuaries they used to be.

Is nowhere quiet anymore or am I just a grumpy old lady?

Lisaw1 Fri 29-Apr-22 11:06:58

around our avenue all you can ever hear is dogs barking it drives me crazy

Eloethan Wed 27-Apr-22 10:33:01

The one noise that is really getting to me is the terrible racket on some London Underground lines. It is far worse than I remember when I commuted to work.

I read a report some time ago that said the level of noise on some underground trains is likely to damage a person's hearing if experienced on a fairly regular basis. I suppose TfL can get away with it because, if pursued in court, it would be almost impossible to prove that hearing loss was solely caused by excessive exposure to noise on the underground.

Recently there seem to be a lot of cars around that have had some sort of work done to them to make them really noisy. I can't understand why this is legal - it is totally unnecessary and intrusive noise pollution.

aggie Tue 26-Apr-22 14:01:30

I have a button on my hearing aids to dull the loud noises , then I have to remember to turn it up again .

H1954 Tue 26-Apr-22 14:00:30

I'm sitting in our lounge and all I can hear is the ticking of the clock and it is absolute heaven...............until the next door neighbour gets home with another plank of wood and a bag of nails?.

However, weekends are worse, what with strimmers, mowers, yapping dogs, and a man two doors away who has been gifted a new electric saw.............and the next door neighbour always comes home in Friday evening with.............several planks of wood and extra nails ?

ElaineRI55 Tue 26-Apr-22 13:52:29

When we get older, we do actually become more sensitive to sound and can't as easily tune out distracting sounds and focus on the things we want to hear. See, for example, myhearingcenters.com/blog/sensitivity-to-sound-as-we-age/
Can be something called hyperacusis. myhearingcenters.com/blog/sensitivity-to-sound-as-we-age/

nipsmum Tue 26-Apr-22 10:39:29

I certainly wasn't happy at being wakened at 7.30am today with petrol driven grass cutting machine outside my bedroom window. Why can't they cut the grass in the parks at that time of the morning. I am a grumpy old woman today. I did not sleep well last night.

polnan Tue 26-Apr-22 09:52:38

It seems to me that we/someone is obsessed with background , so called music... everywhere!

someone mentioned meditation, lol so much meditation on youtube has background music!

Grandmabatty Tue 26-Apr-22 09:41:20

I live in a street with very few children so screaming is rare. It's generally quiet with the occasional lawnmower or diy noise. I can sit in my garden and hear only birds, despite being relatively close to a motorway. Bliss

effalump Tue 26-Apr-22 09:34:37

These last few years, I've noticed that I can't stand a lot of noise. In the past, I always had music on or at work I had earphones from the mp3/radio on (if it was allowed), or the TV even if I wasn't watching it. Now, I can go for hours and then realise the house is totally silent. If I do put music on for a short time, it tends to be more 'easy-going' like Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole or Rod Stewart's several "American Songbook" cds but never for more than an hour. Maybe it's because my multi-tasking abilities have lessened as I've got older.

win Mon 25-Apr-22 21:45:14

If you wear hearing aids it is even worse, to sit in a cafe like Costa next to the coffee machines is like WW2. There are no curtains and carpets so nothing to absorb the noise, I find it very difficult to find places where you can have a decent conversation with a friend. I use a one to one system, but then cannot hear the waitress or anyone else except the one person who is linked on to my system. It is a true nightmare.

Witzend Mon 25-Apr-22 20:57:19

I loathe loud, thumping music in restaurants. We used to have an annual meet-up with 2 couples, one of which lived abroad, and the restaurant we once picked - not by any means a cheap one - had such loud music, we had to shout across the table.

In subsequent years we chose a lot more carefully, asking in advance about levels of noise and emphasising that we needed to be able to hold m conversations without shouting.

Vintagejazz Mon 25-Apr-22 19:36:03

M0ira

The whole world just seems to be getting noisier and noisier!
Children playing appear to have to scream and shout at each other. While in a pub, yesterday, two small boys ran around the tables while others were trying to eat their lunch peacefully and the parents said said nothing when their ear piercing screams could be heard from the next village.
I wear noise cancelling head phones now when out in the garden. I may well start wearing them everywhere ?

I sympathise. Unfortunately some people lack awareness and can't distinguish between their childrenmaking normal kids' noise, and being disruptive and annoying.

Musicgirl Mon 25-Apr-22 18:54:23

As a hearing aid wearer I find background noise almost unbearable as it is so hard to hear people above it - the hearing aid magnifies all sounds and not just the ones l want.

Kryptonite Mon 25-Apr-22 18:41:36

The peace of my daughter's suburban home on a lovely Sunday afternoon was destroyed by neighbours a few doors down playing 'music's to accompany their BBQ. The sun often brings out the power tools in our rural area, the loud laughers and the motorbike revvers (and also the bonfire enthusiasts, of course). With that and my tinnitus there is rarely complete peace and quiet. Some birds can also be quite annoying tbh! ?

Theoddbird Mon 25-Apr-22 18:07:55

I live on a narrow boat...the only noise I hear at home is a swan occasionally knocking on boat wanting food or Mr Duck shouting from jetty for a snack. I don't go on buses as would have to drive to a bus stop to get one. I don't go in shops very often...I get groceries via click and collect. I actually didn't notice any noise when I was in Aldi the other day. Maybe I don't listen for noise. If you are continually listening then you will hear and be disturbed. There is peace in silence.... Just turn your head off from noise. Is quite easy to do...

biglouis Mon 25-Apr-22 17:56:43

Unless I am expecting someone or a package I wear ear plugs inside most of the time and then turn up the background music to the volume is comfortable for me. Drowns out most outside sound. I live in a detached house and am not interested in what my neighbours are doing.

varian Mon 25-Apr-22 17:52:57

If I set foot in a shop or pub and hear loud thumpy music, I leave, but not before telling a member of staff why I am leaving and will not be doing business with them again until they turn off the racket.

fluttERBY123 Mon 25-Apr-22 17:49:39

A you might have super duper hearing.

OR

B your hearing aids might need turning down.

My hearing is rubbish but I have good aids and it is blissful in noisy places simply to take them out.

You could keep some earplugs handy.

soop Mon 25-Apr-22 16:44:44

I am also a grumpy old git. Give me birdsong and cancel tiresome noise. Please.

yaiyai Mon 25-Apr-22 16:12:21

Where I live we have to put up with high powered noisy cars racing up and down day and night. Added to that, we have the ‘wedding season’ which involves loud fireworks at any time of day or night, including early hours of the morning.

TanaMa Mon 25-Apr-22 16:04:37

I am lucky that I live 'far from the madding crowd' and usually only have the birds and the ewes and lambs to listen to. However the last few weekends have been spoiled by a 'hooligan', who has bought a very steep and wooded piece of ground nearby, felling and burning trees (illegal during nesting season) and running a huge tracked vehicle around digging up tree roots.
I could willingly throttle him!! - not just if the disturbance but the disregard for nature - and laws!!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 25-Apr-22 15:53:01

I do admit to driving a car which has a loud exhaust. Sorry. But I don’t sit on the drive revving it up.

NoddingGanGan Mon 25-Apr-22 15:49:38

Noise is a serious issue for me. We are currently doing a lot of archiving at work in preparation for relocation. The firm have purchased a job lot of second hand scanners and ours has been positioned directly behind me. It grinds and throbs all day and beeps loudly at every jam, and there are many! I just can't hear myself think! I even lose track of telephone conversations mid flow! I can't function in excessively noisy situations. I am so miserable!

4allweknow Mon 25-Apr-22 15:48:17

I agree Vintagejazz. Plus those oversized exhausts that are only on cars to make noise and dogs barking/yelping day and night. Children screaming no matter what they are playing at. I am convinced we have a epidemic of deafness ahead of us.

nadateturbe Mon 25-Apr-22 15:28:29

No you're not grumpy, or maybe yes, but justifiably so. Everything is noisier now. Ads are noisier on TV, and talent shows have to have audiences screaming and clapping loudly. Opportunity Knocks and Come Dancing were perfectly enjoyable without all the hype.
Children in the garden behind us scream all the time. I wouldn't have let my children do that.
A man walked round our local charity shop recently having a loud conversation on his mobile the whole time, so distracting. My hairdresser's is a nightmare with the radio. Most modern music is not pleasant.
I never sit down in a cafe until I have checked the noise level.
It's a noisy world.