Gransnet forums

Chat

Can’t Think of a Subject for a Thread…?

(131 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 11:56:27

Hello!smile

I really fancy a natter; but, unfortunately I find myself totally bereft of humorous or interesting Thread Starters.

I’ve gone blank.
No creativity whatsoever.
Not an ounce of wit.
Not a smidgen of originality.

Talk to me - please! smile

(I’m going to make a cup of tea, and when I return I hope that someone is here brew)

(Autocorrect turned smidgen into ^smug Ron^; poor old Ron, and his wife)

Blossoming Thu 19-May-22 20:36:43

I want to share a picture of my own very special duck, Mr B risked life and limb to get him for me.

He was launched in Ireland in 2006 and remained in the water until he was rescued from the sea by Mr. B at Corsewall Point in Galloway. He has a web address tattooed on his chest and a number tattooed on his rump. Unfortunately we were unable to find out any more as the web address no longer exists.

He was in a very bad state when rescued but soon perked up after a warm bath and a wash. He looks a bit battered but so would I after 8 years in the sea! He now lives on a shelf in my wardrobe as sunlight would make him brittle and faded.

Blossoming Thu 19-May-22 19:28:12

I will remember that in case I’m ever in need of an urgent sock supply.

FarNorth Thu 19-May-22 15:07:07

Here's another Duolingo one. Una to the rescue!

Witzend Thu 19-May-22 13:47:08

FannyCornforth

This one. It saves me remembering how to spell her name blush

Has anyone read her book ‘Two Caravans’? I loved that, and have passed it on to a Dsis with similar tastes - she loved it too.
One character is a dog, whose ‘thoughts’ are very cleverly and imaginatively IMO, put down on the page.

GrandmasueUK Wed 18-May-22 23:16:51

Adding to the Duolingo pictures. My daughter got this one and it’s true! ? We are trying to learn Portuguese. I keep getting the phrase: ‘she washes the monkey’. I have no idea when I will be able to slip this into conversation when I’m in Portugal.

Callistemon21 Fri 06-May-22 10:38:10

FannyCornforth

I posted her name up thread I think FannyC

Yes, that book and author.
My friend said that paperbacks are meant to be read and passed on but there are some I keep and that is one of them!

FannyCornforth Fri 06-May-22 09:28:15

‘Wise words, mate!’

FarNorth Fri 06-May-22 08:54:43

SueDonim Thu 05-May-22 12:21:47

I’m trying to work out why you’re so excited about getting a duck, Fanny.

Namsnanny Thu 05-May-22 12:20:21

I'm (as always) late to the party, so I'll go back and read about chickens and ducks before I join that chat.
But I did read your book FannyConforth many moons ago. I know I enjoyed it, but more than that I cant remember! That's the way it is with lots of books from.my past reading list nowadays.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:28:53

Yes!! Yes it is a duck! smile

Blossoming Thu 05-May-22 11:27:29

Could it be a duck ?

Just a wild guess.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:01:12

Oh! And guess what is coming today! ?

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:00:31

I had to insure my house with another company this week, and I too was surprised how reasonable it was!

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 10:59:29

Thank you for resurrecting this thread FarNorth
I noticed that the ‘sweary titled’ thread has now become a nice chatty place; but I balk a bit every time I see it (so uncouth!)

FarNorth Thu 05-May-22 10:56:51

I got my yearly home insurance quote - and it is almost £100 less than last year!

I checked and it is correct ?
Good news, for a change.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-May-22 07:51:09

FannyCornforth Tue 03-May-22 07:49:30

Sue I’m pretty certain it’s a duck. It looks exactly like a traditional, yellow rubber duck; albeit a bit cuter.
Was it from Ocado?
I’m extremely tempted to get one myself.
(And I wonder why I can’t move for stuff)

Callistemon The author that I kept mentioning is the lady who wrote the Ukrainian tractor book.
I confused myself because I posted almost the same reply twice

GrandmasueUK Mon 02-May-22 23:34:56

Feelingmyage55

GrandmasueUK sorry to rain on your parade but is that a chicken? Correct me if I’m wrong. ?

It quite possibly is a chick ? not a duck ? but it was yellow and I wasn’t wearing my specs ??

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 22:53:37

I’m hoping to encourage them to grow up a bare trellis where I can see them from the kitchen Parsley.

Parsley3 Mon 02-May-22 22:51:08

TillyTrotter

Oh Feelingmyage it will be well worth it when the flowers appear.
I will plant Morning Glory seeds next - has anybody grown those? It’s my first time.

I grow Morning Glories and this year I have them sprouting in the greenhouse. I like going out in the morning to see how many have blossomed. I grew them up a drainpipe last year but they are going on my new fence this time.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 21:50:12

SueDonim

Feelingmyage55

The seeds are out of the packet and planted. There are sweet peas and marigolds. Now I’m talking to two black containers of compost.

I’ve been giving two pots of orchids a strong talking to. They’ve failed to produce any flowers for months and months. As advised elsewhere on GN I’m now giving them ice cubes. If they don’t buck up their ideas I’ll be telling them they’re on a one way trip to the compost heap.

My orchids had just started flowering again with more buds to come.
I decided to trim the dead stalks from one and accidentally chopped off one of the flowering spikes
It's lasting quite well in water ?

SueDonim Mon 02-May-22 21:24:44

Feelingmyage55

The seeds are out of the packet and planted. There are sweet peas and marigolds. Now I’m talking to two black containers of compost.

I’ve been giving two pots of orchids a strong talking to. They’ve failed to produce any flowers for months and months. As advised elsewhere on GN I’m now giving them ice cubes. If they don’t buck up their ideas I’ll be telling them they’re on a one way trip to the compost heap.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 21:03:04

FannyCornforth

FannyCornforth

Yes, I’ve read lots of her books.
But I’m ashamed to say that I can’t remember her name.
She is an amazing author

Oh I’ve already commented about that confused
Oh dear, Callistemon, you’ll have to bear with me…

Was it Eric Carle? (he's male)

He wrote 10 Little Rubber Ducks

Feelingmyage55 Mon 02-May-22 20:49:01

Why are all the chickens, hens, ducks, flamingos, swans etc not placed together in the emojis? And why is Pingu the penguin beside the chickens?
I’m in a funny (not haha) mood. I need a glass of ?