Gransnet forums

Chat

Influencers

(25 Posts)
Doodledog Wed 11-May-22 17:17:01

biglouis

The very terms "influencer" and "celebrity" put me off.

Well yes. Nobody wants to think that they are being influenced, but as I said in my post above, I honestly think that anyone who thinks that they are somehow 'above all that' is kidding themselves, and I'd love to know how they manage it.

Do they make design and make their own clothes, and cut their own hair, or do they 'know what suits them' (which basically means that they have been influenced into thinking that a particular style matches the image they want to project? Have they never seen the TV, a film or read a magazine? How do they know what is available to buy, unless they see ads or are influenced by friends?

The best advertising and marketing is done subtly, so a lot of the time we have no idea that we are being 'influenced', but we are.

harold Wed 11-May-22 14:18:56

If I want to buy anything I usually look at reviews written by others and would not really want to believe what any influencer or celebrity said. Also I find TV celebrity programmes far less interesting than those featuring unknown members of the public.

biglouis Wed 11-May-22 14:09:41

The very terms "influencer" and "celebrity" put me off.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 10-May-22 16:24:47

It's a bit sad isn't it? Also, so very typical that these are mainly targeted towards the young who are more gullible and want to appear fashionable by following the herd. As an oldie I'm more cynical.

tidyskatemum Tue 10-May-22 16:12:15

Why are people such sheep? I have never understood all the “celebrity” culture and the role of influencers totally bewilders me. If you are looking to buy a particular item it’s fair enough to do some research but all this wanting to buy something because some bimbo has one is beyond me. My DD has a paid sideline in writing online comparison reviews of various products, 99% of which she has never seen, but she just does a bit of research and sets out the pros and cons without ever saying “buy this one”.

Doodledog Tue 10-May-22 15:37:39

John Wayne advertising Marlborough cigarettes, Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter and Cinzano, Linda Bellingham and Oxo, Piers Brosnan and whisky (can't remember the brand), the list goes on. More recently Kate Moss and Rimmel, Alan Titchmarsh, Parky et al advertising money-saving funeral plans and life insurance that they won't need to use - what's the difference?

Celebrities have always been given clothes, bags and other products as freebies in the hope that they are wearing or using them in paparazzi shots. It's nothing new, and not any more shallow or grabby when young people do it. Many influencers are experts in their products, eg Sali Hughes who does make-up tutorials online. Yes, they endorse particular products and get paid for it (do people expect them to work free?), but at the same time they are showing people how to apply them, which many find useful. There are numerous others who get followers for similar reasons.

Unless someone has lived a very 'unusual' life, they are most unlikely to have never been influenced by others - from the Queen to soap actors. Princess Diana was massively influential when it came to fashion - whether the couture versions she wore herself to cheap copies in C&A. We all see items being used in various media from Tatler to ads during Corrie, and I would struggle to believe anyone who claims to be immune from the influence of this sort of branding.

The whole idea of diamonds being 'forever' was created by De Beers who were losing money because of a fall in the price of diamonds. The stone was marketed as representing eternity and everlasting relationships, and became the 'natural' stone to use in engagement rings Prices shot up, and diamond rings are now seen as part of getting engaged. I don't know who came up with the idea that an engagement ring should cost three months salary, but that was another master stroke of influencing grin. De Beers now have a brand called Forevermark, which is directly descended from the original campaign, and the whole story is about influencing, pure and simple, and there are countless other examples.

It works in reverse too - Daniella Westbrook being photographed in head to toe Burberry caused a near collapse of the brand image and they had to relaunch with a completely new look. Her influence was not for the better, as her image was, er, 'not the one the company was aiming for'.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-May-22 14:58:21

I am sure that Influencers have to declare if they are being paid or received something for free now.

There was a young lady who was prosecuted for not doing so recently. (trying to recall her name)

It’s just the streaming generations advertising.

MayBee70 Tue 10-May-22 14:21:11

It really annoys me when ‘celebrities’ advertise things like equity release, the one that annoys me the most is Carol Vordemann because people think she is a mathematical genius. I actually looked on an influencers blog last night for the first time, though. I love watching the Scotlands home of the year programmes and they always say at the beginning that Kate Spiers who’s one of the judges is a blogger and influencer. Given that I always agree with her opinion of the houses I thought I’d check out her utube blogs. Must admit that I found them very interesting.

Vintagejazz Tue 10-May-22 13:24:13

'bog' standard

Vintagejazz Tue 10-May-22 13:01:35

Yes those types of ads are dishonest too. But ordinary big standard adverts never pretended to be anything other than paid adverts.

Polly73 Tue 10-May-22 12:54:33

Yes, I think Eamon Holmes recommended one too

volver Tue 10-May-22 12:51:16

I don't believe that Iain Botham's pharmacist recommended he use a Revitive. wink

Purplepixie Tue 10-May-22 12:47:41

I totally agree.

Elizabeth27 Tue 10-May-22 12:47:31

Vintagejazz

Elizabeth27

Advertising used to be done via television, now that younger people do not watch live tv and most people fast forward the ads there has to be some way to advertise, hence influencers.

Yes but with ads you knew the participants were being paid to act in them and were using a script.

Influences appear to have reviewed and endorsed a product but in reality have often been given a free product or stay in a hotel for a good review.

That is dishonest.

How is it dishonest to review a free product but believable if paid and given a script? That does not make sense.

Do you really think that actors in ads use the product, I doubt Philip Schofield has used we buy any car which I have just seen.

HousePlantQueen Tue 10-May-22 12:46:33

Sorry, but I think it is shallow, grabby and not to be encouraged. Why on earth would I stay in a hotel because someone who had stayed their for free was talking about how lovely it is? Frankly, any restaurant which promoted itself by using influencers would be one for me to avoid.

AreWeThereYet Tue 10-May-22 12:38:43

Many tell you that a product was received free for a review - I assumed that they all must, but don't know that they do. Before I bought my Dyson hairdryer I watched a number of videos (it was an excruciating day) by woman who all said they'd got one free and demonstrated trying to use it. Some at least seem to have had training courses as well. I've seen the same with many hair products. Whether the influencer actually gives a truthful review, who knows? I have to say I rarely watch any with very young people in, can't stand all the noise.

Vintagejazz Tue 10-May-22 12:04:37

Elizabeth27

Advertising used to be done via television, now that younger people do not watch live tv and most people fast forward the ads there has to be some way to advertise, hence influencers.

Yes but with ads you knew the participants were being paid to act in them and were using a script.

Influences appear to have reviewed and endorsed a product but in reality have often been given a free product or stay in a hotel for a good review.

That is dishonest.

AreWeThereYet Mon 09-May-22 17:51:16

Not all kids.

I follow a few and all are 40+, mainly late 50s. Some good hairdressers, beauticians, cooks. I watched a few people using different Ninja cookers/grills before buying one.

Zoejory Mon 09-May-22 17:38:41

Kidfluencers. Lot of money for a lucky few. I think it's often the parents that are the ones who push them into it.

Little chap in USA had made 22 million dollars before he was 7. But parents had helped him on his way

www.forbes.com/sites/maddieberg/2018/12/03/how-this-seven-year-old-made-22-million-playing-with-toys-2/?sh=557e5f4d4459

Elizabeth27 Mon 09-May-22 17:33:25

eazybee Mon 09-May-22 16:46:23

A former pupil daughter does this, refuses to tell her mother what it is exactly she promotes, bur receives a great many freebies and trips to hotels.
I certainly wouldn't buy a used car from her.

Vintagejazz Mon 09-May-22 16:33:54

I agree OP. These people are paid or given freebies to endorse products but present these endorsements as independent reviews. It's a dishonest way to earn a living.

Hithere Mon 09-May-22 13:36:23

I think it is a niche that was very exclusive before, with very few elite members (movies, sports, politicians, etc)

Now with the availability of technology, it is open to anybody

Nothing new

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 13:28:36

Absolutely.

hazel93 Mon 09-May-22 13:25:53

The very name annoys me !
Found it so sad this morning on the Beeb with so many youngsters buying into this and not understanding products promoted by people they admire are simply advertisements.
Anyone else feel the same ?