Gransnet forums

Chat

Synonyms for ‘Fat’ that aren’t Cringeworthy…?

(335 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 12-May-22 09:55:39

Hello! smile
I am fat.

But I do not like saying ‘I am fat’.

But neither do I like ‘curvaceous’ (probably the best of a bad bunch); ‘cuddly’ (bleugh); ‘curvalicious’ (give me strength); or the word de joure ‘thick’ (confused)

Can you think of any acceptable, non-cringe words for not being slender? Because I can’t

Thank you!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 25-May-22 16:40:18

Just been reading a Ngaio Marsh book, published in 1938, in which a woman is described as 'a queenly woman', which seems to me to be a nice way of describing someone with a sizeable physical presence.

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 18:57:48

Bleurgh! Now I know why I can’t stand the warmer weather!

Callistemon21 Sun 15-May-22 17:36:59

Adipose was also mentioned
^I’ve seen the word before but wasn’t that sure what it meant.
Does it have negative connotations, does anyone know?^

Brown adipose tissue - helps to keep you warm

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 17:34:54

Molly yes, I remember it (adipose) now as a biology type word.
Back to the drawing board…

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 13:49:40

I think I’ll skip past adipose. I’ve heard it mentioned positively in relation to bodily tissues as here, “Its main role is to store energy in the form of lipids, although it also cushions and insulates the body.”
Energy storage and cushioning both sound good, but it’s usually mentioned negatively when referring to obesity.
DH suggested we could use ‘rotund’ and then rushed out to take the dog for an extra walk as his hard hat is already dented.

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 09:40:38

Yes, I’ve known diabetics with terrible lifestyles. Including an alcoholic

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 09:39:18

I cross posted with you Lucca - my first line sounds bossy, but I was referring to me smile

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 09:37:54

Anyway - back to the brief.

I’ve just consulted Merriam-Webster, and was surprised to see enbonpment mentioned (I’m sure I haven’t spelled that right )
I thought that it was another word for for cleavage confused I think that Lucca said something similar up thread.

Adipose was also mentioned.
I’ve seen the word before but wasn’t that sure what it meant.
Does it have negative connotations, does anyone know?

Bountiful is a nice one (not as in ate too many coconut chocolate bars grin)

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 09:34:26

However to balance things. Being fat is one thing but I know someone who is diabetic, very overweight in the tummy area ( central obesity ? Is that the term ?). but who takes no exercise, eats nothing but pies etc. and is therefore wilfully making himself more ill.

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 09:27:27

And my mom.
Never smoked; never drank (there’s two things that I didn’t inherit); size 12 and vegetarian; walked for miles everyday with the dog and did yoga.
Died age 50
(Think of her constantly ♥️)

Marydoll Sun 15-May-22 08:04:48

The comment about healthy life style triggered a memory for me.
When I had my first heart attack, the cardiologist told me that they couldn't find the cause.
Very invasive angiograms and all the other investigations revealed clear arteries, low cholesterol, no leaky valves and a seemingly healthy heart. He told me that they were stumped and I obviously had a very healthy lifestyle. Therefore, all is not always as it seems songstress.
It turns out it is my RA, which is attacking my heart, something which I have no control over.

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 06:13:34

Thankyou for the nice comments about the thread

FannyCornforth Sun 15-May-22 06:12:02

Sadly not thanks
And, as others have said, just as a ‘healthy lifestyle’, and all that that encompasses, can guarantee longevity

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 03:08:04

queenofsaanich69

Perfect,we are all different,with a few extra lbs you can fight any illness.

But you can’t win

Musicgirl Sun 15-May-22 00:20:49

Songstress, I have two medical conditions that make me put on weight. I would love to be slim but I am not and it isn’t going to happen. There are many reasons for people to be overweight. Why do you think you need to point it out to us, do you not think we know already? “Eat less, move more” has to be the least helpful advice ever. I realise that to some people, the only clothes we deserve to wear are sackcloth and ashes and that we should apologise for taking up so much room but surely being overweight is not the worst thing that can happen.

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 18:25:47

Curvy??

rafichagran Sat 14-May-22 16:22:00

I dont want to be a party pooper on a funny thread but I do find the description fat offensive, as it can be used in the wrong way by hateful people as my example shows above.
Anyway I am enjoying this thread. I am not boasting, but my weight and looks are the only thing I dont have low self esteem about. I make the best of what I am given and Ienjoy doing so.

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 16:11:18

Nobody actually said there was anything wrong with the word fat.
It was just a general, nice discussion.

There are always people who enjoy barging in with their unpleasant remarks, when it's totally uncalled for.

rafichagran Sat 14-May-22 16:02:22

songstress60

What's wrong with the word "fat"!! We have an obesity crisis and people need to face up to it. If you are overweight you should be made aware of it because it leads to health problems. Too much pussy footing around, and it doesn't actually help overweight people in the long run. Don't dress it up. If people are fat they need to be told about it and given advice.

How rude, it is also every ignorant comment, Fat can be used the abuse people, Fat Cow, Fat Bitch, I have even heard Fat C..t. You sound a Peach songstress
I am 5.5, normal bust, small waist, but very hippy I am very happy. I love my curvy figure, size 16 at the bottom, 14 top. I was in a shop once, and saw someone turn to me and she said, that's the way to rock that look like that lady.
I was a 10/12 some years ago but due to taking meds I went up to a 16, do I want to lose weight, no I dont, I am 65 I still work, and compared to some people I am lucky enough not to have serious health conditions. I love my curvy figure and that is what matters.
Glad this thread is funny and supportive.

Blondiescot Sat 14-May-22 15:42:35

Marydoll flowersflowersflowers
But to hear some people go on, it seems they think there's nothing worse than being fat...

Marydoll Sat 14-May-22 15:39:35

I am another one, who is fat, due to medication and lack of mobility.
I would rather be fat, than dead.
Horrible, judgemental post!

HazelEyes Sat 14-May-22 15:30:15

Larger lady?

FannyCornforth Sat 14-May-22 15:04:03

Oh yes Molly.
I remember people regularly used to say to me, ‘you’ve lost weight!’
Expecting me to be over the moon.
I absolutely hadn’t lost weight, it was just that I was wearing a dress and not trousers. I just look more svelte (less matronly grin) in a dress.

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 14:47:10

Sorry for all those including my DD whose medication has negative side effects.
Reading all these, although I like the idea of a synonym for the word fat makes me think of my Grandmother who used to remind us that personal comments were never acceptable and even ones you think are positive sometimes carry negative implications, “You’re looking lovely today,” sends a sensitive person away thinking ‘do I usually look awful.’ She said weight comments were always wrong. “You look as if you've lost weight”, means “now you’re not as fat as you used to be”. She didn’t need reminding about her former plumpness.

Grandmabatty Sat 14-May-22 14:35:24

Does that poster not realise that people who are fat know that they are fat? We don't need to be censured or told. As you have clearly stated 'theres a lack of empathy and emotional intelligence'. Such meanness of spirit.