Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen attending the Royal Windsor Horse Show today.

(58 Posts)
Esspee Fri 13-May-22 12:43:18

After her non appearance for the Queen’s Speech do you think she is sending a message to the government?

FannyCornforth Sat 14-May-22 11:14:32

Urmstongran

Lovely photos of HM the Queen looking happy and relaxed. She has a beautiful smile that lights up her face when she is pleased. Good for her to be out and abouting on a sunny day!

Yes, she really looks marvellous.
They have always said that she’s never happier than when she is around horses.
They really are a passion of hers

Dickens Sat 14-May-22 10:39:14

Lucca

Indi t think any “republicans “ on here will be rejoicing when she dies.

... my comment was not directed at any republicans on here - I don't think they'll be rejoicing either.

I was talking more generally - because I've read and heard some pretty unsavoury comments from abolitionists / republicans. You can be sure, some will.

Urmstongran Sat 14-May-22 09:26:38

Lovely photos of HM the Queen looking happy and relaxed. She has a beautiful smile that lights up her face when she is pleased. Good for her to be out and abouting on a sunny day!

volver Sat 14-May-22 09:16:24

Anyone who rejoices when another person dies needs to examine their credentials as a human being.

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 09:15:27

I don’t

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 09:15:10

Indi t think any “republicans “ on here will be rejoicing when she dies.

Dickens Sat 14-May-22 08:54:45

Callistemon21

Dickens I quite like having a monarchy, the continuity and relative stability. But your post is very good.
???

... I do have a 'sneaking' affection for Elizabeth. In spite of being a republican.

Her duties may not be what many consider 'real work' but they have imposed on her a way of life from which she's never abdicated, never faltered, so I can understand why people relate to the 'continuity' and 'stability'. She made a vow, as she herself said, "in her salad days", and she's stuck to it. I'm sure many think her wealth and position have given her an easy life, and to some extent that's true, but in exchange she has had to suppress her own individualism, be at the beck and call of the State, and live under the scrutiny and spotlight of both detractors and admirers. It's not a 'normal' way of life, but she's navigated it.

I've said before that when she dies, we will not see her like again. She will be the end of an era. And I won't be rejoicing with fellow republicans when she sheds her mortal coil.

Doodle Fri 13-May-22 23:10:30

I would far rather see her enjoying a day out than reading a speech. She has served this country well for all these years I hope she had a good time doing something she enjoyed.
Good for her.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 22:33:38

Jaxjacky

I’m sure she didn’t, but I’d have been ‘can’t be arsed with the boring stuff, I’m going to do something I enjoy’.

Perhaps she's got to the stage in her life where she has read out so many, knows they are mostly rubbish doesn't want to be associated with the lies and just rebelled!!

volver Fri 13-May-22 22:26:52

Brrrrr.... ❄⛄

Anniebach Fri 13-May-22 21:56:44

How strange to refer to a woman’s children as ‘random family
members’ , no not strange, cold

mamaa Fri 13-May-22 19:57:12

Jaxjacky my thoughts exactly.
In fact I said earlier to my husband earlier in the week re the Opening of Parliament that she took one look at the Queens Speech and thought ‘sod that- Charles can do it- it’ll be good training for him’grin

Nightsky2 Fri 13-May-22 19:54:01

Esspee

Considering the Queen’s Speech is an essential part of her duties and horses are a hobby I feel she must know how this will appear to the country.

The country will be delighted that Her Majesty has had a lovely day out and NO she is not sending any messages to the Government. What a ridiculous thing to say.

volver Fri 13-May-22 19:38:50

Libman

volver

I think its lovely that a 96 year old should have a day out at an event she has always enjoyed.

I think its a disgrace that we have a system that expects a 96 year old to take a significant part in governance of the country and allows her to delegate to random family members if she is no longer up to the task.

If it were to carry on like this Volver I would agree with you but perhaps she is simply conserving her strength and staying as queen until the Jubilee? Those amongst us who are not abolitionists would be very sorry to feel that she was not able to remain as the monarch until then. I feel she has deserved to do so - having served the country for so long. It’s only another couple of weeks. Surely we can hold off the calls for her to abdicate until then?

Dickens post pretty much sums up what I think too.

I've been called many things on this forum but never an abolitionist. smile

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 19:29:37

Dickens I quite like having a monarchy, the continuity and relative stability. But your post is very good.
???

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 19:26:54

Good for her.

Shelflife Fri 13-May-22 19:26:41

Dickens, I respect your views and appreciate your understanding/ empathy.

Shelflife Fri 13-May-22 19:23:10

It's because she has been resting recently that she has the strength to enjoy the horse show today! Good for her.

Dickens Fri 13-May-22 19:20:01

Anniebach

How will this appear to the country ?

To republicans a reason to criticise .

To monarchists and those who don’t care either way they will
see a 96 year woman having an enjoyable day out.

I'm a republican, and the only person I would criticise is the one who cannot understand that for a 96 year old with mobility problems, there's a difference between attending the State Opening of Parliament which requires a certain amount of stamina and energy, and the RW Horse Show where she can be fairly relaxed and anonymous, and not be under the continual glare of the spotlight where any faltering would be noted, discussed ad nauseum, and ultimately detract from the event.

I don't think she's sending out any "message" - she was being sensible, practical and pragmatic in handing the role to Charles.

The monarchy will end eventually - Charles is already talking about slimming down The Firm, but until then I think people should cut her some slack - she's been doing what's required of her for 70 years FGS!

As for...

Considering the Queen’s Speech is an essential part of her duties and horses are a hobby I feel she must know how this will appear to the country.

I hope "the country" will be empathetic to a woman whose health is clearly declining and who probably doesn't want it to be the focus of attention.

As someone else said, she will be damned if she doesn't hand over more responsibility to Charles, and damned if she does. So with some, she's just not going to win either way.

sodapop Fri 13-May-22 19:19:59

Takes much more stamina to take the lead role with the Queen's speech than to have an enjoyable hour or two with her horses and family.
I think the Queen is wisely conserving her strength whilst allowing Charles & Camilla to take on the duties that will be expected of them.
I hope she had an enjoyable time too.

Libman Fri 13-May-22 18:57:08

volver

I think its lovely that a 96 year old should have a day out at an event she has always enjoyed.

I think its a disgrace that we have a system that expects a 96 year old to take a significant part in governance of the country and allows her to delegate to random family members if she is no longer up to the task.

If it were to carry on like this Volver I would agree with you but perhaps she is simply conserving her strength and staying as queen until the Jubilee? Those amongst us who are not abolitionists would be very sorry to feel that she was not able to remain as the monarch until then. I feel she has deserved to do so - having served the country for so long. It’s only another couple of weeks. Surely we can hold off the calls for her to abdicate until then?

Shelflife Fri 13-May-22 18:39:16

I sincerely hope she had a well deserved happy day ! Why shouldn't she have a day out without any responsibility?

annodomini Fri 13-May-22 18:11:14

Most likely, with the advice of her medical advisers, she eschewed the stress the Queen's Speech occasion involves, and, also following medical advice, allowed herself the enjoyment of sitting in a comfortable seat in her car, hob-nobbing with her equestrian cronies.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 17:35:34

Elegran

She is damned if she eases off on the duties in favour of Charles, and damned if she doesn't.

Or - she can't do right for doing wrong!!

There is no walking upstairs, wearing an exceptionally heavy crown or reading out a long statement today
Or walking all that way.

I hope she enjoyed herself.

henetha Fri 13-May-22 17:26:32

Being on her feet or not, seems to be a big factor in what she is able to do. Sitting in a car today was easy and enjoyable and I was glad to see her looking so happy and relaxed.