Gransnet forums

Chat

What is THE most amazing present you have ever been given ?

(59 Posts)
Serendipity22 Fri 13-May-22 16:37:44

The 1 present that had me speechless, dumbfounded and gobsmacked was ....

My friend asked if I had a recipe for Christmas cake.

I didn't personally but I knew there was 1 that my mum made every year.

I got my mums old recipe book and took a photo of her handwritten recipe for Christmas cake.

Then the day arrived when me and my friend swapped presents, she asked me to open mine there and then, which I did.

There sat in the box was a Christmas cake with the recipe in mums handwriting on top !!

I stared stared and stared because I couldnt take it all in.

I muttered "Thats my mums writing, how has it got on top of this cake?????"

What she had done ( my friend) was found a website that prints ANYTHING onto icing !! So she had made mums Christmas cake and the decorative icing on top was my mums handwriting ..... took me ages to get it 8n my head....

BeEmerald Mon 16-May-22 12:16:30

Chestnut that’s brilliant !! Lucky you !
Completely off thread I’m afraid but I LOVE model villages, model railways, farms and doll’s houses sunshine

Chestnut Sun 15-May-22 12:08:38

I'm afraid that picture isn't as big as it should be, so you can't see the little animals very well! Website's fault.

Chestnut Sun 15-May-22 12:07:03

This is turning into a thread for people mad about farm animals. Apologies to those who aren't into farms. Here is my collection. Zoom in and you'll see:
On the left:
2 cows, 2 calves and a black bull
woman feeding the chickens (and some tiny yellow chicks)
rabbit hutch with really tiny rabbit
2 pigs, 2 piglets and woman feeding them
On the right:
2 shire horses and a grey donkey
shepherd holding a lamb and his sheepdog
2 rams, 3 ewes, and 2 cute black lambs
billy goat, nanny goat and cute little grey and white kid
Centre:
farmer with shotgun and tractor

storynanny Sat 14-May-22 18:55:19

My dad made a beautiful farm yard from plans he sent off for, for my sons and then the grandchildren played with it. When my boys were little we used to go to the shop that sold the individual animals etc and they’d spend ages choosing a cow or maybe a sheep. They also had scarecrows, tiny ducks and chickens, and best of all a milking parlour!

Chestnut Sat 14-May-22 18:42:00

Grandma70s At the same time my grandfather, an undemonstrative Yorkshireman of few words and certainly not given to extravagance, gave me a magnificent toy farm complete with buildings, pigs, horses, cows, ducks, hens, the lot. There was even a milkmaid with her milking stool and buckets. I don’t expect girls of nine, almost ten, play with toy farms much now, but I loved it and kept it for years.

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs! I had a set of farm animals which I LOVED more than any other toy. That was because I lived in the city but stayed on a farm every summer. So playing with the farm animals was my way of being back there. I would save my pocket money and go to the local toy shop just to buy ONE new animal at a time. I also had the milk maid, the shepherd, the farmer, the girl feeding the chickens. But I never had the farm buildings until I bought some for my own children 30 years later.

Yammy Sat 14-May-22 17:40:55

My engagement ring to wear for my last term at college when everyone else had been flashing them for years. shock

Serendipity22 Sat 14-May-22 16:35:15

Emmsmum Sat 14-May-22 16:31:47

My little dog. A very elderly rescue from Spain called Flo ❤️

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 14-May-22 15:27:35

Oh my, I'm going to have to up my gifting game..real food for thought here. Thank you posters.

Grandma70s Sat 14-May-22 15:09:33

Two really, both on the same occasion. In 1949, when I was 9, I was very, very ill in hospital with mastoiditis. When I was slowly convalescing at home, our family doctor gave me a beautiful illustrated edition of Peter Pan. This was postwar, and lovely books were not easy to come by. I was so surprised to be given a present by the doctor!

At the same time my grandfather, an undemonstrative Yorkshireman of few words and certainly not given to extravagance, gave me a magnificent toy farm complete with buildings, pigs, horses, cows, ducks, hens, the lot. There was even a milkmaid with her milking stool and buckets. I don’t expect girls of nine, almost ten, play with toy farms much now, but I loved it and kept it for years.

I have had grander presents since, but those two meant the world to me, not least because of their unexpected sources.

grannyactivist Sat 14-May-22 13:40:11

Our house has a very grand and famous namesake. For my birthday some years ago our youngest child hand-made a beautiful ceramic house sign with the grander house outlined in relief. It’s often commented on by visitors and is one of the few things I own that is ‘treasured’.

Serendipity22 Sat 14-May-22 12:47:49

Awwwww fantastic posts... treasured memories ❤

paddyann54 Sat 14-May-22 12:00:18

When my 65th was looming I told the family I didn't want gifts ,well I do that every year and now and agian they listen.

That year they did something that was very special ,they all got together round my daughters kitchen table and painted small self portraits plus a question mark one for the expected new GC and one of each of my cats .
They were all mounted together in a frame and given to me on my birthday .
I cried .It was the best thing I have ever got and showed me that my family are the close family I always believed we are.That they are happy to spend time together and unlike my mother I wont need to worry they'll drift apart when I die .
That was my mums biggest fear .My family portrait frame lives on my kitchen wall and it makes me smile every day

SusieB50 Sat 14-May-22 11:31:33

For my 50th , my son and my brother dug me out a wildlife pond in my garden . It took a weekend with lots of beer ! I emptied the water butt into it a couple of times and then my daughter provided the plants . Twenty two years later it’s still there and I enjoy it everyday , no frogs sadly but many newts and other bug life . Now my grandchildren love pond dipping and I have many bird visitors. I still love it .

Witzend Sat 14-May-22 10:54:17

My elder sister had a red Dansette that she’d saved up for. And I still remember one of her first LPs - the comic songs of Tom Lehrer. On the back it said, ‘To clean record, use a fairly dry Martini.’
The height of wit to me then!

I bought a rather less attractive 2nd hand record player for £4 IIRC, with birthday money when I was probably 14.

silverlining48 Sat 14-May-22 10:39:38

Chestnut, yes things in the 50s and 60s had to be saved for.
I worked from about 13 and saved up fir ages eventually buying my own Dansette record player when I was about 15. Yes it took that long. Wish I still had it.

Witzend Sat 14-May-22 10:36:19

Trisha57

The most amazing present for me was being allowed to choose my own tortoise from a box in the local market for my 5th birthday. The price was 2/6d.

She is still with me nearly 60 years later!!

Mine was 4/6d! I’d so often stopped and looked longingly at the baby tortoises in a pet shop window that we passed every Saturday while doing the big food shop.

But since I was aware from a very early age that money was invariably very tight, I never asked. But one amazing day, my father said, ‘Do you really want a tortoise?’

Poor little Timmy was put in a brown paper bag!!
Just as well the mass import of little tortoises has now been banned.

Alas, after only maybe 4 years he died during hibernation, in the very cold winter of 1963, IIRC. I was heartbroken.

henetha Sat 14-May-22 10:15:07

On my 60th birthday my sons had a party for me and on the table was a cloth covering something quite large. When I uncovered it, it was a computer. The monitor etc, all the bits needed. I'd had some minimal use of one in an office, as they were just becoming more widespread then, but it was mostly all new to me.
I've been online ever since. Not on that clunky old desktop though. A lovely modern slimline laptop now. How they have changed over the years.

Chestnut Sat 14-May-22 08:55:16

Yes, those presents from the 1950s and early 1960s were precious things which required some saving up for. A record player was a big purchase and you really felt honoured to receive it!

GrannySomerset Sat 14-May-22 08:51:49

So many lovely stories of thoughtfulness and generosity. My best present was from DH for my 50th birthday. I observed that I had never had a birthday party so we took over a small country house hotel for the night with a black tie dinner for fifty followed by dancing to an excellent group courtesy of DS who occasionally played for the singer. It was the most wonderful weekend in the company of friends and relations including a number of young and I will never forget it. For my 60th birthday he bought me a red MGB, another dream fulfilled.

Grannynannywanny Sat 14-May-22 08:38:50

Chestnut thank you for posting the record player photo. It brought back lovely memories of my own identical one. I had no idea my lovely Dad was paying into a savings club at work and withdrew the cash when he had saved enough to go to the local electrical shop and buy it for me. I was 13 and in my first year at secondary school.

harrigran Sat 14-May-22 08:32:46

For my 60th birthday DH took ten of us to a hotel in the Lakes for the weekend. DD designed a necklace and had it made for me so it was unique.

grandMattie Sat 14-May-22 08:16:56

A “pearl” necklace that Queen Titania, herself left for me for my 5th birthday! (One if my much older cousins sorted it out) - it was more than magical!

Trisha57 Sat 14-May-22 08:06:34

The most amazing present for me was being allowed to choose my own tortoise from a box in the local market for my 5th birthday. The price was 2/6d.

She is still with me nearly 60 years later!!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-May-22 07:56:19

Daughter gave us Christmas in Paris in a smart hotel over 5 days for our 40th wedding anniversary.

That was divine.