Gransnet forums

Chat

Dolls House - have you got one ?

(60 Posts)
BeEmerald Mon 16-May-22 12:21:59

I thank Chestnut for making me think about this after seeing her lovely farm photo on another thread.
I adore Dolls Houses, at one time I had three. They weren’t the childrens they were mine. In a fit of altruism ( insanity I now call it ) I donated them all to a local hospice to be auctioned.
One of mine had little lights inside that my son in law rigged.
Has anyone out there got a beautiful dolls house, and if so, do you still play with it ?

Tizliz Tue 17-May-22 16:27:52

I had never watched Scottish home of the year before but I was having a look when I saw that doll’s house, it was fascinating

My mother used to teach making doll’s house furniture, my sister taught sewing, my other sister is an expert veg gardener, my OH is a tool maker, me - I was the trouble maker!

foxie48 Tue 17-May-22 18:32:49

OH made a model of the house we lived in for our daughter when she was 5. she never played with it preferring to play with a farm + hundreds of farm animals! We still have it although we no longer live in that house, I'm keeping it just in case daughter has a child who likes it.

MayBee70 Tue 17-May-22 18:43:51

My children never wanted a farm set so I asked for one as my Christmas present, hoping they’d play with it. They never did though. I think it was one of those toys that I always wanted as a child but never had.

maddyone Tue 17-May-22 18:44:06

I have a dolls house that my dad made for my daughter when she was little. My little granddaughter loves playing with it, but it’s sitting in our dining room looking very forlorn at the moment as our granddaughter is in New Zealand with her parents for two years.

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 19:35:57

maddyone you have the family heirloom of the future there flowers

DillytheGardener Tue 17-May-22 20:01:05

I love hearing about all of these. We had a family dolls house but it went to another family member as I had two sons, who were more into ninja turtles and pokemon. Please share photos all if you have them I’d love to see

StarDreamer Tue 17-May-22 20:44:23

MayBee70

My children never wanted a farm set so I asked for one as my Christmas present, hoping they’d play with it. They never did though. I think it was one of those toys that I always wanted as a child but never had.

You could repurpose it as a vegan animal sanctuary if you choose to do so.

Many animal sanctuaries are located on what were once farms.

MissAdventure Tue 17-May-22 20:47:03

I had a farm and a dolls house.
The dolls house was just quite basic, but I loved it.
The farm was my favourite, though. smile

Casdon Tue 17-May-22 21:20:25

I am one of three girls, we had a Triang dolls house between us, we spent hours playing with it. My sister had it when she had her daughters, so it’s still in the family. It’s like this one, with a brittle plastic roof. I bet there are others on here who had the same one!
I’ve also got a new, but unmade wooden Georgian dolls house in my garage - it’s a future project I hope, I love anything miniature.

LadyStardust Tue 17-May-22 21:29:53

Casdon! I have the very same one as your photo somewhere in the loft! Complete with furniture. I really should get it out and see if its all ok. My elder son, when he was very small, decided on Christmas Eve he would like Santa to bring him a dolls house! Mr Stardust was dispatched up into the loft after son's bedtime, to dig out the dolls house! I was up until about 2 in the morning making it look good. My son was over the moon, but only played with it for a few months until it was stored back up there, where it has been ever since, about 28 years!

MayBee70 Tue 17-May-22 21:32:46

Oh that’s lovely. Now something is confusing me. I can remember most of my toys, and my books. I think I had a dolls house but can’t visualise it and certainly can’t visualise any furniture for one. So I probably didn’t have one. But there’s something about your dolls house that is in my memory, except a smaller house. This is going to really bother me and there’s no one I can ask.

Farmor15 Tue 17-May-22 21:38:18

Dil bought a lovely house second hand, complete with furniture and accessories. She and I had good fun arranging it all, but then had to put it away, as GC too young for it!

Casdon Tue 17-May-22 21:42:40

Oh, send us a picture LadyStardust!
There were two Triang houses at that time, my friend Helen was an only, she had the smaller one. Maybe yours was this one Maybee? If the brittle plastic roof rings a bell it could well be.
I remember we had a mauve sofa and chairs, heavy plastic with metal legs, and a bath, sink and shower in the same ilk, presumably designed so they couldn’t be broken.

Farmor15 Tue 17-May-22 21:43:38

And here are a few pictures of house daughter made from kit when she was about 18. She kept adding more bits for a few years - basement, attic, conservatory. It weights a ton and is difficult to move, so still in our house.

Farmor15 Tue 17-May-22 21:46:09

I loved those Triang houses - a couple of my friends had them. Some had metal windows that opened.

LadyStardust Tue 17-May-22 22:05:12

Casdon Its a bugger of a job getting up into the loft, as its the old fashioned type with a hole in the ceiling and you have to drag the ladders from the garage! I may have photos from Christmas 1993 (or whenever it was) but in one of those boxes full of photos you've been meaning to sort out for decades! I don't rate your chances! grin

agnurse Tue 17-May-22 23:58:26

My parents built - from scratch - a lovely doll's house for my sister and me when we were children. Dad built it from wood, Mom painted and decorated (including using small pieces of wallpaper as floor coverings!). We received it as a Christmas gift, along with a set of furniture that I think was by Calico Critters. Each of us also received a Calico Critters family - mine was a family of bears and my sister's was a family of raccoons. We played with the doll's house and the Calico Critters for years. Eventually the doll's house fell to pieces.

DillytheGardener Wed 18-May-22 08:49:50

I loved seeing the photos and all the wee details, like the globe, the food on the kitchen table and the Christmas tree. How pretty the house with electric lights.

SachaMac Wed 18-May-22 09:08:39

Wow some beautiful dolls houses. It’s something I never had but seeing all your pictures makes me wish I had. Such lovely little details, the lights make them look so cosy.
I did have a wonderful Wendy house that my dad built for me. It’s wooden windows were from an old train, spent many happy hours in that.

Franbern Wed 18-May-22 09:48:53

A few years ago, my g.daughter (whom I often looked after) was aged about 13 hears old and suddenly told me one day - "Grandma - it is not fair!!" Asking her which particular section of her comfortable life was not fair, it turned out that her Mum had insisted that she donated her children's dolls house to the local charity shop. Her moan was that her much younger cousins still had dolls houses and did not keep them neat and tidy.

I told her about adult dolls houses, showed her pictures of them and also stressed the cost of furnishings etc. She was fascinated, so I talked to my daughter and then for g.daughter's next birthday purchased her one. Her Dad, who did not live with them and was then very sick, then purchased and put in all the lighting, etc. into this house. Over the next few years we (g.daughter, daughter and me) attended some special 'fairs' and purchased different items of furniture and ornaments (including ginger cats - as they had two real, full-size ones at home). She learned how she had to budget and save for some items for this house. It is lovely.

She is at Uni now and obviously has left this at home. Dad died three years back - but that lighting is still a good memory of him for her. Will probably stay in her large bedroom until she gets her own home.

I love it and when I stay there always have to open it up and have a peek inside. Found it quite difficult finding and purchasing modern people for it - but they do exist if you hunt around.

BeEmerald Wed 18-May-22 15:57:25

I loved those Triang ones but they were an expensive purchase way back and are still highly priced second hand -unsurprisingly!
I think it’s quite sad when you see small children ( I hasten to add not all ) staring at iPads or handheld game consoles rather than having the joy of building imaginary worlds.
I think there’s something so magical about a dolls house. Something really innocent and unspoilt.

Menopaws Wed 18-May-22 19:57:49

I have a large bag of unwanted carpet sample squares that maybe ideal for dolls houses. I'm not into dolls houses but they may be ideal for someone.
Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want anything for them but it seems such a shame just to throw them out.
The samples are approx 6 in x 4 in.

PaperMonster Wed 18-May-22 20:33:29

I believe mine is a Triang one - and it has little metal windows that open! I understand that it was a limited edition one.

BeEmerald Wed 18-May-22 20:41:05

Menopaws what a kind of offer. I expect many different kinds of crafters would bite your hand off. I know our local charity shop takes them and they fly out !

This is the dolls house I’d like but pigs will fly first. I saw it online today. Only about £850 more than I can afford smile

BeEmerald Wed 18-May-22 21:14:44

Getting my of and offs mixed up there. It’s been a long day.