Gransnet forums

Chat

How Much????

(108 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 07:21:23

I know we have been getting used to rising prices over the last couple of years - but yesterday I was at a very child friendly museum and GC wanted an ice lolly. Good idea I said - it was a hot day - went to the cafe where I was shocked to note that a small toddler sized rocket ice lolly was £2.50! An ice cream cone - one scoop £3, two scoops £5. A small bag of crisps - £1.50. A round of ice creams for a family could be £20- that on top of travel, entry fees to the special exhibitions, food and drinks etc. would make an expensive day out. I haven’t had to buy an ice lolly for ages so I was shocked by the prices. I’m sure they were less than £1 a couple of years ago. I know I could make my own, take a picnic etc ( I do) but you can’t pack ice lollies for a hot day out. Any other price rises taken you by surprise?

JaneJudge Sun 22-May-22 11:33:54

OmaforMaya

Boz

Lurpak butter has shocked me; now £4.24 to £4.50 a tub. I think I was paying £2.85 last year.

Lurpak butter £5.29 in our local Co-op supermarket.

It is £9 for a kilo of lurpak. I ordered clover instead which I think was £3 a kilo

Mibx, I know sad

MibsXX Sun 22-May-22 10:27:49

JaneJudge

a tank of fuel for a week is now the same cost as one full days wage per week at work now for a lot of people
wtf are people going to do?

last time I filled my car to just half, it cost me more than my weeks wage , maybe its a good thing I can't afford the MOT and it's been sat on the drive for 2 mths, although now I can't get to job interviews........

watermeadow Sat 21-May-22 20:12:58

Today at till,”Do you want your receipt?”
Me, “No thanks, it will only depress me”
Last week at till,”Do you want your receipt?”
Me,”Yes please, so I can see how I’ve spent £28”

25Avalon Fri 20-May-22 11:05:53

StarDreamer

25Avalon

I think my casual staff (I have 8or9) may find they want to work instead of leaving me in the lurch.

But if the basis on which you employ them is "casual", how can they leave you in the lurch?

They are casual staff. They can apply for various shifts as and when they come up as shifts are variable depending on bookings. Just lately none of them have been applying for any shifts at all which leaves me in the lurch. Do I cancel a kids party cos no one has applied? Last Christmas when they wanted money they were falling over themselves to apply for shifts. As inflation bites I expect I’ll have several applying for each shift.

StarDreamer Fri 20-May-22 10:53:19

Jane43

Elizabeth27

I am sure many on here will remember the late 1970s when interest rates were 17% and prices were going up daily.

Yes but the Labour government at the time had a policy that when the consumer price index rose by a certain percentage everybody had a wage increase, I think it was 50 pence. I remember DH having several increases at the time. Harold Wilson or Jim Callaghan would have been PM at the time. One MP a few days ago said people should work more hours, such compassion.

Are you referring to what were known as "threshold payments" in around 1973 to 1974?

If I remember correctly it was not quite like that.

As I remember it, in order to try to curb inflation, they brought in a law such that wage settlements had to be at least one year apart. I think that that might have been the Conservative government that brought that in.

However, to restrain pay settlements and possibly thinking "it will never happen" allowed pay settlements that included that if the retail price index rose above some govenment stated threshold then for each thresho;d increment of some size above that, an extra pay increase of, if I remember correctly, £40 a year extra would be paid with immediate effect. Please bear in mind that a quite reasonable annual salary at the time was about £2000 per year, though some people got more and some people got less. So £40 a year was often a 2% pay rise, a bigger percentage for someone earning less.

Labour became the government again in February 1974.

In the event, the policy was treated by employees and unions as meaning "immediately a year had passed". smile

Thus began the era of "the annual wage round". I don't know if it still happens today, but for many years it became established. Each industry sector having its place in the wage round more or less by chance as to when they had previously settled a wage increase claim when the policy started.

It did happen and if I remember correctly for several months in 1974 one, or two, were being added each month.

A few years later a union leader, Jack Jones, suggested "£6 a week for everbody" and that gained general acceptance and happened, so people less well paid got quite a large percentage increase that year.

StarDreamer Fri 20-May-22 10:24:46

Granny23 wrote ... or pay extra for home delivery.

Yes, I do pay for home delivery.

I have a Tesco annual Delivery Saver plan that costs £72 per year and for that a personal shopper or personal shoppers go round the store picking my shopping, acting on my picker notes, and a delivery driver delivers it to me, taking great care in doing an excellent job. The only condition is that each order is £40 or more when I check it out, if, due to a special offer or out of stock, the actual cost is below £40 it still qualifies for no extra charge as it was £40 or more when the order was placed.

This was very convenient even when I was still driving, after giving up driving it is a lifeline, even more so with the pandemic.

However, it does not actually cost me £72 as Tesco has its clubcard system, one point for each pound spent, and has a clubcard points offer of a triple value on some things, one of which is paying for the Delivery Saver plan. So I pay for the Delivery Saver plan with £24 of Clubcard points. So I get the Delivery Saver plan with no money leaving my bank account.

Tesco from time to time send me an email stating how much I have saved by having the Delivery Saver plan. It is a few hundred pounds each year.

However, by having the delivery service available at all, I save much more as otherwise I would need to be paying for someone to get my shopping for me.

I suppose that it is good deal for Tesco too as it probably means getting regular custom.

OmaforMaya Fri 20-May-22 10:24:46

Boz

Lurpak butter has shocked me; now £4.24 to £4.50 a tub. I think I was paying £2.85 last year.

Lurpak butter £5.29 in our local Co-op supermarket.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 09:42:05

A jar of coffee in Sainsbury’s yesterday had gone up from £5.50 about a month ago to £7. Himself went into Quality Save and bought it for £6. Shopping around and price comparing will be more popular.

snowberryZ Fri 20-May-22 09:33:32

Bluedaisy

Personally I think we are being taken advantage of, everyone is using Covid to not only add a £1 or 50p onto everything but pretty much either doubling prices or at least adding a third on and I think eventually people will not and cannot afford to pay these extortionate prices and the shops, restaurants, pubs etc will come a cropper through their greediness. It was my birthday last Sunday and DS and DDL took us out to a pub for a roast dinner, I couldn’t believe my eyes at the menu, £18.95 for roast beef, pork or lamb with only hard cold Savoy cabbage with it. 3 small potatoes and a large Yorkshire, if you wanted any extra veggies it was another £4. The roast beef was supposed to be topside, it was awful, chewy and inedible and to cut a long story short both my DH sent our dinners back 3 times due to being cold and tough meat. In the end I decided to have the nut roast after sending mine back for the 3rd time (wished we had walked out at that point) the nut roast consisted of a handful of Paxo stuffing with a few cashews chucked in….yuk disgusting! I didn’t have desert as I wouldn’t let them pay £6.95 for a small desert each either. It turned out to be a disaster for us, luckily for them my DS & DDL had burgers so they said theirs was ok, but with all the messing about sending ours back they finished at different times to us and had to sit and watch us struggle to eat a vile expensive meal. My DH is right when he said not only have prices gone up but standards have gone down with a lot of these pubs. In future I’ll cook my own I think.

You are right.
A lot of places are using covid as an excuse to bump up their prices.
Wouldn't be so bad if they bumped up their quality at the same time.
Sounds like they gave you the poorest quality of beef and the cheapest veg going. And charged you £20 for the privilege.
That pub will go out of business eventually.
People don't like being conned and taken advantage of.

StarDreamer Fri 20-May-22 09:29:19

25Avalon

I think my casual staff (I have 8or9) may find they want to work instead of leaving me in the lurch.

But if the basis on which you employ them is "casual", how can they leave you in the lurch?

snowberryZ Fri 20-May-22 09:13:06

I've noticed it with ice cream.
Was at a family day attraction with my OH and bought 2 icecreams, single scoops with one flake.
£4 each! They didn't even have nice waffle cones.
They were those cheap and nasty orange cones.
I think anywhere they've effectively got you trapped, they tend to bump the prices up.
I can see people going back to the days of taking sandwiches and a flask.
Bet the sales of flasks have gone up.

25Avalon Fri 20-May-22 08:59:47

Joseanne the Aussies have the Eskie

JenniferEccles Fri 20-May-22 08:57:53

We would be cushioned somewhat by rising prices if we were getting a decent return on our savings, but although I have noticed the rates have increased a bit, they are not high enough to offset the higher prices on goods.

Grammaretto Fri 20-May-22 08:42:56

IN the 1980s, we were staying with a family in Germany who had experienced the second world war. Their small garden was filled with vegetables, hutches with chickens and rabbits destined for the pot and the freezer full of home grown produce, larder full of bargains bought from the no frills supermarket.
I was impressed, and we were very well fed, though I am not able to live like that. But maybe if I had survived a war I would feel differently.

Joseanne Fri 20-May-22 08:42:07

Why has no one invented a freezer type cool box? Or perhaps they have?
We are leaving our holiday home in a few hours and will have to leave a couple of boxes of magnums/cornettos for the next people because we can't transport them home.
Even if you take ice bricks in insulated cool bags, frozen ice cream still melts. That's perhaps why ice creams are so popular and an obvious choice when people are out and about.

H1954 Fri 20-May-22 08:18:58

"If out as a family, we buy ice creams in a supermarket. If any are spare, we offer them to members of the public, generally very happy to accept."

That's a great idea Candelle and a fabulous way to start a conversation. I've no doubt that the boxes of ice creams and lollies have also increased in price but they're still a huge saving compared to individual ones.

Aepgirl Fri 20-May-22 07:47:37

I certainly do remember interest rates at 17%. Now so much is dependent on Ukraine that supplies most of the crops for cooking oil which is in an enormous range of products. Blame the Russians!

Grammaretto Fri 20-May-22 05:15:05

Our local food bank has a community fridge which contains the "almost past sell by" perishable food. Anyone can take up to 5 items a day. There's also bread, bananas, potatoes outside to rescue before it's dumped.
I often rescue these things though I know some friends would never be seen dead using a food bank. I feel I am stopping waste as well as having some "free" food.
There is also a community meal prepared by volunteers using donated food - mostly ex supermarket.
I realise this is not the answer to soaring prices and anxious families but I think there will have to be more acceptance that we all have to eat and we should be helping eachother. This is tackling waste as well as feeding folk. Win win.
I am about to start volunteering at the community shop which is like a farm shop and café and relies on volunteers to help keep it going.
I also enjoy the occasional meal out with a glass of wine.
Life has to be worth living.wink

mothertrucker52 Fri 20-May-22 01:29:17

I wouldn't dream of buying takeaway coffee from anywhere, one cup costs about the same as a jar of instant which lasts me about three weeks. The only takeaway food I occasionly buy, ie about three times a year, is fish and chips, not because I am particularly virtuous but it's just too expensive

kwest Thu 19-May-22 23:02:01

When my husband and I have a trip to our favorite garden centre, we call at Waitrose on the way but any favorite supermarket would do. We already have a vacuum flask of boiling water and a picnic basket in the car. We buy something for a lovely picnic, he will usually go for lemon cheesecake (2 pieces and fancy handcut potato crisps and sometimes a sandwich. Things we would not normally eat at home. I usually have either a prawn mayo sandwich on brown oatmeal bread or prawns with a marie rose dipping sauce and a carton of grapes. The garden centre is beautifully landscaped. We park in a quiet spot in the car park with a nice view, read a newspaper or book brought from home. We make coffee and enjoy our picnic for probably half the cost of a meal in the garden centre, After the picnic we go into the garden centre and buy some excellent Boston farmhouse sausages to replenish the freezer and then we buy something gardening related and drive home through the country lanes rather than taking the A roads and it feels like a little adventure every time we do it. Much nicer than eating in a cafe and much cheaper.

win Thu 19-May-22 22:05:48

We pay £ 15 for one fish & chips now, very nice, but not overly huge portion either.
Everything over £ 2 has gone up 25p in Tesco during the last couple of weeks.

Mallin Thu 19-May-22 20:38:12

Timetogo. Re price of bread. Morrison’s cheapest sliced loaf was 35p last week. Aldi and Lidl have sliced bread for 45p and I think Tesco do too. I started to buy cheap bread when making bread pudding but soon realised that they are good enough to eat!!!!!!!

rockgran Thu 19-May-22 15:59:36

Our chippy does a pensioner meal for £4.85 and there's plenty. I don't know how long that price will last through.

Fernhillnana Thu 19-May-22 15:54:18

What a great idea!

Fernhillnana Thu 19-May-22 15:53:50

Yes, I’m just deciding not to buy things. I look at the price and just cannot bring myself to spend. I feel a bit like my old mum and dad who used to baulk at high prices, that didn’t seem high to me at all! Maybe it’s old age?