Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you ever go to the cinema/ theatre on your own?

(162 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 19-May-22 12:28:53

I wish I had the nerve but I’d feel a bit silly going on my own - not sure why really?

I wouldn’t go to a restaurant or cafe on my own either, as for a pub! ?

mokryna Mon 23-May-22 20:49:10

Bellanonna

Surprised about Les 10 Petits, *Mokryna. Didn’t think that would happen now.

The producer said it was the name of the island, not a person. I am in France.

Bellanonna Mon 23-May-22 20:03:15

Surprised about Les 10 Petits, *Mokryna. Didn’t think that would happen now.

M0nica Mon 23-May-22 19:48:32

How would we feel if a man said he didn't like doing things on his own? That he felt ashamed to go to the cinema or theatre or go into a pub by himsled?

Why should a woman feel it is different for her?

MayBee70 Sat 21-May-22 22:27:04

We took the children to Lewis’s one Christmas assuming that Father Christmas would be there in his grotto but he wasn’t. I was so disappointed. I wonder if children from other cities have such wonderful memories of a department store? I’m long since gone from Brum but I love the place and it’s people so much.

NanKate Sat 21-May-22 21:24:43

Elrel thanks for the update on the bus into B’ham. I suppose I must have gone on the inner circle bus.

Maybee70 that photo took me back. I went one Xmas to Lewis’s and we went into a small room where there was a sleigh which we sat on and someone pretended to drive the sleigh. Then we got off and exited through another door where Father Christmas was waiting. I really thought we had been on a sleigh ride. It is so vivid in my imagination. Such a happy memory.

JackyB Sat 21-May-22 19:27:54

There's not really much point in going to the cinema WITH someone if you ask me. You can't talk to them while you're there and you are both looking at the screen, not each other - so, no interaction.

I usually have to go to the cinema on my own anyway because I prefer to seek out films screening in the original English and DH wouldn't be able to follow. I don't think we have the same taste either.

Robinhood21 Sat 21-May-22 15:23:31

It’s like the first time you do most things. I almost always go on my own if I can’t find a friend to accompany me. “Feel the fear, but do it anyway!”
Start with your local theatre. Visit the theatre when the booking office is open. Tell them it’s your first time coming to the theatre on your own and if you are not familiar with the theatre they may offer to show you the auditorium . I usually find the person very helpful. Local theatres are usually cheaper than the West End. I know it’s easier said than done but you will not regret it. Especially if you like live performances. I often go and see just anything for the experience and its amazing
how you enjoy it!!
Booking a single seat has its advantages such as you often find a good ticket with the best view!
Where are you based?

mokryna Sat 21-May-22 12:16:47

Yes, I do.
I went to my local theatre group’s play last night, Agatha Christie’s Les 10 petits … they decided to keep to the original title

Bellanonna Sat 21-May-22 11:49:15

Oh Juliet! So what did you say??

Yes I’ve done all these things. Wouldn’t think twice about it. I have only rarely been into a pub alone as there are so many alternatives, but I’d go if it was to have a meal and there were no nearby cafes. Before covid I was in London a lot and always enjoyed lunch somewhere. Most theatre trips have been matinees, often to see a ballet which DH would not enjoy as much as me. I do belong to a theatre group but don’t always want to see the chosen play.
Good luck Kadinsky. I can understand how you feel but once you start you will honestly not think twice about it.

Grandma29 Sat 21-May-22 11:25:55

I’ve been going to the cinema on my own for a number of years now and love it. Find it so relaxing and always felt safe.
Sometimes go with friends but don’t have a problem going alone.

essjay Sat 21-May-22 08:36:00

I often went to cinemas on my own also cafes and have been to concerts on my own often staying overnight in accommodation. I also used to travel on my own, just got in the car and of I went, sometimes having a 3 or 4 day break. The good thing about being by yourself doing these things is that you have only yourself to please, but admittedly sometimes it is nice to have someone to share the experience with

NannaFirework Sat 21-May-22 07:41:51

Yes !

twiglet77 Fri 20-May-22 23:23:25

I’d much rather go alone and enjoy what I’ve gone to watch in peace. Ditto cafes, though I’ve not been to one for probably 10 years or more. I wouldn’t go to a pub alone, but I don’t go to pubs with anybody else either.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 23:05:00

Elrel

NanKate, the 11 is the Outer Circle which goes round Birmingham, not to the centre. Lewis’s had a Pet Department for many years, the roof had a Spring Festival with rabbits and chicks. I still miss Lewis’s.

I think this was taken at Lewis’s. I remember having ice creams on the roof. And seeing Father Christmas…..

Elrel Fri 20-May-22 22:50:54

NanKate, the 11 is the Outer Circle which goes round Birmingham, not to the centre. Lewis’s had a Pet Department for many years, the roof had a Spring Festival with rabbits and chicks. I still miss Lewis’s.

CoffeeFirst1 Fri 20-May-22 22:31:05

No. I don’t want to either ☹️

Shinamae Fri 20-May-22 22:17:06

Yes most places happy to go on my own especially the cinema actually. I’ve booked to go on a coach holiday early July to Wales to Anglesey and puffin Island and that’s on my own… Will not go in a pub on my own though except a Wetherspoons..

NanKate Fri 20-May-22 22:07:27

At the age of 11 (64 years ago) I would take the no 11 bus into Birmingham, go to Lewis’s and buy myself an orange squash and a chocolate cake with a face on it. ?‍? After looking round the mini zoo on the roof I would catch the bus home.

Since then I have visited the theatre, cinema and many, many cafes all on my own and loved it.

Don’t miss out because of what you think others will think of you. You’ve only got one life so enjoy it. ☕️?

Willow68 Fri 20-May-22 20:59:10

Yes I go places on my own. It’s not unusual now, I think since mobiles and laptops, there are many people alone
In restaurants and cafes. So it’s very normal to go places alone now including cinema. I actually love the odd lunch on my own somewhere.

Notyetagranbut Fri 20-May-22 19:19:44

Cinema, theatre, restaurant and holidays I do them all, if I didn't I would never ho anywhere. Just go for it, you'll be fine.

WoodLane7 Fri 20-May-22 18:58:50

Have regularly done cinema, theatre, cafe and pub (if I am away from home) on my own. Since I am unlikely to know the people there I neither know nor care what anyone thinks

lilydily9 Fri 20-May-22 18:57:46

Not the cinema but to the theatre several times although just matinee performances.

ALANaV Fri 20-May-22 18:55:39

Of course...why not ? I am on my own and go to lunch, dinner, theatre, cinema, holidays and everything else on my own ...people say 'How can you go on your own ? ...answer is I have no choice, either alone or stay home .....not an option ha ha ....going to Canada in autumn, the USA, Iceland, The Arctic on cruises, Rhodes, Menorca, Lanzarote ......love it ! sometimes no one speak to you but hey, I had books to read, sun to sit in and all my meals and cleaning ...what's not to like ! The only little snag is I don;t go wandering around abroad in the evenings after dark, so normally look for a hotel or other accommodation that has an evening function of some sort ! Try a coach trip for singles for your first venture ...loads of people to talk to, things to do .....in the UK if you like ....take a look at Solo Holidays, or Passion or Cruises that does singles .......enjoy

Dottynan Fri 20-May-22 18:28:41

I also go to the cinema on my own as hubby is still working full time. Take a deep breath and go for it

Kryptonite Fri 20-May-22 18:18:10

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't go to a cinema or theatre alone. As other posters have said, why miss out on things just because you've no one to go with or your partner isn't interested? One of the best on my own experiences was on a ferry from France. Film on my own followed by slap up meal on my own, followed by sundeck on my own. Glorious. My husband and I have in the past gone into different movies at the same time. Everyone's happy.