Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it…..

(83 Posts)
maddyone Fri 20-May-22 19:07:38

That’s it. In the words of the song I’m so happy and excited because tomorrow our daughter and her husband, and our three grandchildren (8 year old twins and 4 years old) are arriving for a visit. They are living in New Zealand for a two year period and they left exactly one year ago. They’re coming home for a visit because my husband is celebrating his 70th birthday (how did he get that old?) and the whole family is going to Devon for a week. I’ve rented an enormous and lovely house, but before that we’ll all be together at home for a while. So I’m so excited.

maddyone Thu 16-Jun-22 12:16:01

GrandmaKT have a most wonderful time.

maddyone Thu 16-Jun-22 12:15:27

Thank you for all your lovely kind messages. Yes of course we are lucky floradora and I’m sorry to hear that you have felt disappointed by your friends and family’s greetings. We feel very lucky to have seen our daughter and her family after only one year whilst others have gone several years without seeing one another because of Covid.
Anyway it was lovely to see them and I sincerely hope all the Gransnetters who have been parted from loved ones because of Covid are soon reunited.

Floradora9 Tue 14-Jun-22 21:24:47

you are lucky to be able to see them . We were watching the Airport programme on TV and saw families being reunited with lots of hugs and kisses. I always wanted someone to do that to me on arrival in the UK but sadly it never happened.

Yammy Tue 14-Jun-22 16:47:58

I'm so pleased for you, we got part of our family back to England after living abroad for 14 years last summer. Exciting days ahead. enjoy your time it goes so quickly.

Kim19 Tue 14-Jun-22 16:41:34

??

GrandmaKT Tue 14-Jun-22 16:38:32

Lovely to read your post Maddyone! We are just waiting for the taxi to take us to the airport and then to New Zealand! It's been a bumpy few weeks, DH's passport only arrived on Saturday (10 weeks), I had to threaten the agent I bought the tickets through with legal action before they issued the tickets and I had a last minute health scare. Putting all that behind us now - cuddles in approx 30 hours!

GrandmasueUK Tue 14-Jun-22 13:06:05

I’m so pleased to read your update. It sounds like a brilliant hectic time was had by all and some brilliant memories made. Hope you have a great time when you travel later this year.

crazyH Tue 14-Jun-22 12:59:23

Lovely, warm post - so happy for you !

grannyactivist Tue 14-Jun-22 12:43:10

Thanks for the update maddy, it was so lovely to read.

It’s almost three years since my NZ daughter visited with our granddaughter and much as I love FaceTime and WhatsApp they’re poor substitutes for actual contact. My daughter and son-in-law are nurses and have both contracted Covid, which they’ve passed on to my granddaughter. It’s horrid knowing they’re all unwell and without any family support. ?

Serendipity22 Tue 14-Jun-22 11:47:20

☆☆☆ FANNNNNNNTASTIC ☆☆☆

LauraNorderr Tue 14-Jun-22 11:34:14

How lovely Maddyone, your happiness shines through your post. Clearly a good time was had by all.
It was nice of you to come back and tell us all about it. Glad your Mum perked up but sorry she’s since reverted to type, I’m aware of how much you struggle with her.
Lovely that you have an exciting trip to NZ to look forward to, that should keep up the spring in your step.

jaylucy Tue 14-Jun-22 11:29:41

I'm bouncing up and down with joy for you !!!! Hope you have an amazing time together

volver Tue 14-Jun-22 11:26:42

What a lovely post maddyone. I'm so glad that you had such a great time and its been nice to read all the details. I'm sure you are looking forward to seeing them all again later this year in NZ.

maddyone Tue 14-Jun-22 11:25:25

rockgran it was exactly a year since our daughter and family left. I know exactly what you mean, it’s amazing when you finally meet up again.

maddyone Tue 14-Jun-22 11:23:53

I just thought I’d come back to this thread and give an update. We had a wonderful time celebrating my husband’s 70th birthday. My daughter and her family arrived and immediately the whole house was in uproar. The children were surprisingly shy after a year away despite us speaking to them on the portal every week. However they soon warmed up and had a wonderful time. My husband is a very hands on grandparent and so cricket, rounders, football, and tennis, plus crafty activities and some help given first thing in the morning as my daughter was keen for the children to do a little school work each morning as they were missing school for the duration of the holiday.
The house in Devon was gorgeous (it should have been for the cost ?) and it had a huge garden for lots of games, and a hot tub that the children loved. The north Devon beaches are glorious and there are a fair few lovely restaurants and country pubs which we frequented. Each family took it in turns to cook and shop on the days we ate in, and we had some lovely meals all together. One son and his wife couldn’t arrive till the Sunday as they were at a wedding on the Saturday, and our other son didn’t arrive till Monday as he had to be in London for work on the Monday morning, but we took his child, our nine year old grandson, so all the grandchildren could be together. Our daughter in law’s little grandson couldn’t come as he had chicken pox ?.
Now it is all quiet again as they have left to return to New Zealand and apparently the little ones are missing Grandad Dog (my husband) terribly. Especially the two boys. However we’ll be going out to see them later this year, so not too long to wait.
My daughter visited her Nana (my mother) several times in her care home. Mum was delighted to see them and really perked up that week, but is back to her usual self again now.
Sorry it’s a long post, just wanted to give an update. I really hope all those grans on this thread who were/are waiting to see their beloved families from abroad, have as good a time as we did.

rockgran Sat 21-May-22 14:50:28

My son moved abroad and we went a whole year without seeing them. It was such a joy when we finally met up. Have a super time! smile

JaneJudge Sat 21-May-22 14:48:51

how lovely is this thread smile

grannyactivist Sat 21-May-22 14:47:48

Ah Maddy you deserve to be excited and look forward to spending time together as a family again - NZ is so very far away. ?

Sasta Sat 21-May-22 10:16:36

So exciting indeed! Have a wonderful time together, and a lovely birthday too for your DH. x

Luckygirl3 Sat 21-May-22 10:15:59

Lovely news! - enjoy your reunion - what a joy!!

TerriBull Sat 21-May-22 10:13:48

Oh just seen the other post from SueDonin, wishing you happy times too x

TerriBull Sat 21-May-22 10:11:09

Wishing you an enjoyable reunion with your family Maddy, have lots of fun x

nandad Sat 21-May-22 09:55:14

Such a lovely post to read first thing on a grey Saturday morning. I wish all of you who will be seeing loved ones for the first time in ages a really great time and that you make lots of lovely memories. X

Grandmafrench Sat 21-May-22 09:48:39

There’ll be many many happy tears and then celebrations and such lovely times to share. How you will have longed for this, so enjoy every moment, maddyone

CatsCatsCats Sat 21-May-22 09:39:09

Thank you, maddyone thanks

Fingers crossed they have some happier news to celebrate this time. sunshine