Gransnet forums

Chat

Scottish Grans Only

(147 Posts)
Esspee Sun 22-May-22 16:22:10

My OH recently came away with the phrase “That cuckoo’s giein it lalday” in the middle of a normal conversation in English and it made me wonder how many of us use our own language as a matter of course.

I tend to use Scots when there is no English word which expresses my feelings well enough so I say e.g. I am scunnered by Boris Johnson, I can’t thole the lies and he’s an eejit.

When faced with the questions on language in the recent census I had to admit that although I understand Scots I can’t carry on a conversation in the language but it does enrich my vocabulary.

Can you carry on a conversation in pure Scots or do you, like me, use it when English doesn’t quite fit the bill?

What words do you use?

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-May-22 19:29:42

I meant to mention I need a new pair of baffies (slippers). Not a word used nowadays I do not think.

Lucca Sun 22-May-22 19:34:04

I know baffies… my ex was Scottish. Also lalday, I often use dreich, and fushionless (spelling?)

Blossoming Sun 22-May-22 19:34:12

My everyday speech is peppered with the Doric. Thanks Mum grin

I’m often to be found gein’ it laldy, doin’ malky, drookit, peely wally and lots more. I’m not a bonnie wee doo anymore though.

wildswan16 Sun 22-May-22 19:35:06

My adult children are still frequently told to "haud yer wheesht".

Blondiescot Sun 22-May-22 19:35:41

I was just talking about this with my father-in-law yesterday. He was telling me how his grandaughter (my niece) who lives in Edinburgh, doesn't understand many of the words we use on a daily basis, even though we're only about 10 miles south of Edinburgh. He was telling her that he'd heard a hoolet (owl) the other night and she had no idea what he was talking about.Our local primary school still holds a Burns assembly every year and the children learn not only Burns' poems and songs, but others in Scottish too. My daughter loved 'The Sair Finger' and my son learned 'The Jeely Piece Song', so it's good that the old traditions are still being taught.

Nell8 Sun 22-May-22 19:46:33

When I meet up with my friend from school days we compare notes on dealing with horny gollochs on our dahlias!

Aveline Sun 22-May-22 19:54:41

Baffies are my favourite footwear. Predictive text really struggles with Scots words!
Dippit, glaikit, raj and pure raj are descriptions for cognitive abilities and mood.
You don't want to be called maukit!
I've put the messages ben the lobby press by the way.

Mine Sun 22-May-22 19:55:55

I actually LOL yesterday when I met my son and grandson in Asda..."Whit you daen here granny" my 5 year old grandson asked me...Here fur ma messages I replied

Grannynannywanny Sun 22-May-22 20:00:11

I love this poem

A Dug, a Dug by Bill Keys

youtu.be/lzAek9k7O-I

Mine Sun 22-May-22 20:00:33

Murder murder polis
3 stair up
The wuman in the middle door
Hut me wae a cup
We used to sing this when we were wee

Katek Sun 22-May-22 20:08:23

Nae baffies here - wi hae carpets fir wir feet!
( One for N’easters!)

Worth a listen
youtu.be/I1IM37OY0Kg

Marydoll Sun 22-May-22 20:15:33

Blondiescot, we always taught 'The Sair Finger' and 'The Jeely Piece Song' for St Andrew's Day, with everyone wearing a piece of tartan, of course.

Fur the Glesca Grannies, av stairtit a post aboot a meet up and a wee blether, if any youse yins want tae go.
www.gransnet.com/forums/meet_ups_where_are_you/a1310686-Glesca-Grannies-June-Meet-up

Marydoll Sun 22-May-22 20:17:53

volver

Oh, fousty! T'would gar ye cowk!

I have just used that fousty tonight. There was a strange smell in the kitchen, but I couldn't pin point it. I accused SIL, thought it was his cheese!

volver Sun 22-May-22 20:20:28

Gyad wink

grannydarkhair Sun 22-May-22 20:24:21

Shid that no be foostie?
And I just thought of one of my favourite Scottish words - houghmagandie.

Esspee Sun 22-May-22 20:51:21

We all like a bit of that grannydarkhair. ?

Marydoll Sun 22-May-22 20:52:46

I have never heard that word before! blush. What an innocent I am! ?

Grandmabatty Sun 22-May-22 21:05:44

One of the joys of Scots is that there is no definite spelling rule. There is no apostrophe either.

Aveline Sun 22-May-22 21:06:21

Nane o yer houghmagandie or ye'll get yer bahookie skelpt!

Cherrytree59 Sun 22-May-22 21:07:57

Will ye no stop yer haverin mon!
Mostly said to my Grandpa by my Gran grin

Grannmarie Sun 22-May-22 21:12:07

When my sister worked in the local library, a wee wummin came in and asked the man behind the counter ( a lovely Englishman)

'Haw, son, did sumbuddy haun' in ma pawkies, ah left them here yisterday?'

He made a good attempt at searching along the shelf before whispering to my sister,

' She's lost her pawkies, what am I looking for?'

Cherrytree59 Sun 22-May-22 21:14:48

Jags in your arm.
When moving south had to remember to say jay and not jye
as in Alphabet

Callistemon21 Sun 22-May-22 21:15:05

Charleygirl5

I meant to mention I need a new pair of baffies (slippers). Not a word used nowadays I do not think.

I know what baffies are.
My Scottish friend knitted me a pair.

Lolo81 Sun 22-May-22 21:17:25

My wee granny asked the felly selling shamu ice creams at Seaworld in Florida for a poky hat!
I was regularly asked if ma cat was deid when peddle pushers were in fashion.
And de ye mind….. is the best type of start to a trip doon memory lane!!

Floradora9 Sun 22-May-22 21:19:19

Charleygirl5

My DH uses it all the time and the DGC were so pleased that they had learned a new word when he used it . The DGC have a Scottish Middle eastern mix and live in England . My DDIL would say sometimes ,when she did not want the children to understand , I wish you spoke Arabic . Sadly for her they now recognise some of the Arabic she and her sister use .