Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost Perfumes

(131 Posts)
CatsCatsCats Mon 23-May-22 10:50:15

Does anybody else mourn the perfumes they once used to love but have now been discontinued?

I have a preference for sweet perfumes and two of my favourites are no longer on the shelves - Feminine by D&G, and Jaipur by Boucheron.

I keep hoping they will come back in a blaze of glory some day.

Samsara is still in existence, though, so I'm not entirely bereft.

TerriBull Mon 23-May-22 18:15:34

Jolie Madame by Balmain, loved it. I did see it on Amazon for a ridiculous price, although another favourite Femme by Rochas is available at a more reasonable price. Cialenga by Balenciaga which I liked isn't available..

Mrs Ken I've bought Mitsouko on Amazon, not lately, yes love some of those perfumes from yesteryear more memorable imo.

grannysyb Mon 23-May-22 18:24:19

I loved KL by Karl Lagerfeld, discontinued a long time ago. Can't find anything I like now.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 23-May-22 18:29:11

I love Penhaligan’s Peonie, which I think has been discontinued. I have about a quarter of a bottle left.

Hellogirl1 Tue 24-May-22 11:30:35

Another one here who loved Norman Hartnell`s In Love, many, many years ago. Another perfume I loved back in the 70s was Flambeau, by Faberge. My current favourite, has been since it was brought out around 1994, is Tocade, by Rochas, unavailable in UK shops, only online.

humptydumpty Tue 24-May-22 11:56:08

Loved Fleurs Fraiches by Worth (I think) - can't get now for love nor money sad

B9exchange Tue 24-May-22 11:59:24

As a teenager, it was Avon Topaze, anyone remember that one?

AGAA4 Tue 24-May-22 12:03:36

I remember Evening in Paris which I thought was so sophisticated aged fifteen.

AGAA4 Tue 24-May-22 12:04:46

Very bad grammar ?

PinkCosmos Tue 24-May-22 12:10:29

I have heard a lot of people complaining that the perfume they loved from years ago doesn't smell the same now.

I may be wrong but is it something to do with not using animal products in the perfume and using chemical copies instead.

I like Eternity but the more recent one smells nothing like the one I had 25 years ago.

As a teenager I used to love Yardley Caprice. I think it was a light powdery kind of scent. Also Sea Jade by Yardley which they still do but it smells nothing like the same

PinkCosmos Tue 24-May-22 12:11:18

B9exchange

As a teenager, it was Avon Topaze, anyone remember that one?

I remember Topaz with the imitation topaz stone on the top. I had the bubble bath in a long tall bottle

Esspee Tue 24-May-22 12:26:30

I don't think l'air du temps has been discontinued but it is increasingly difficult to find Any suggestions for a replacement gratefully received.

coastalgran Tue 24-May-22 12:29:13

Mitsouko, Rive Gauche, Paloma Picasso I wore them all and can't source them now but maybe they wouldn't smell right on me all these years on. I now wear Princess, Vera Wang or Daisy Marc Jacobs.

Susiewakie Tue 24-May-22 12:30:52

I used to love Geminesse by max factor doesn't seem to exist now

mumu54 Tue 24-May-22 12:32:15

Boots "Rainflowers" was my all time favourite scent (discontinued many years ago). I prefer light floral so am now using Body Shop "English Rose"

greenlady102 Tue 24-May-22 12:33:35

Mimosa Pour Moi by l'Artisan Parfumeur

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 12:34:38

Rive Gauche is readily available. I wear it.

Diane7 Tue 24-May-22 12:39:09

I loved Aqua Manda and I think Avon did a perfume that had a peachy smell?

MaggsMcG Tue 24-May-22 12:46:50

I used to like Je Revien too. The last bottle someone bought back from a duty free for me did not smell the same at all. I don't like most owrfume as it always smells heavy to me. I discovered Avons Little Black Dress which I like so I'm OK at present. I think our sense of smell and taste changes as we get older. Also our skin changes so that could be why our favourite perfume doesn't smell the same on us too.

MooM00 Tue 24-May-22 12:50:38

B9exchange, Topaz was my very first perfume I remember it well at the age of 15. Then I got a job and earned £3 7s 6d and pushed the boat out and treated myself to Estée Lauder youth Dew, them were the days. A friend bought me some recently for my 70th birthday but I find it very overpowering now. I now use CK ONE.

Bebe42 Tue 24-May-22 12:50:55

I used to love Courant by Helena Rubinstein.
But also memories of a spicy, orangy bubble bath advertised on Radio Luxembourg Aqua Manda by Goya I think

SparklyGrandma Tue 24-May-22 12:53:08

Cristalle by Chanel. The version in the U.K. smells nothing like it.
10 years ago I bought a bottle in the US, it was more like the original version.

Bebe42 Tue 24-May-22 12:53:09

Diane7

I loved Aqua Manda and I think Avon did a perfume that had a peachy smell?

Pretty Peach? Aimed at girls I think?

jane1956 Tue 24-May-22 12:53:30

I bought a Lindisfarne one on the island of Lindisfarne. Went back a couple years later wanted to get some for daughter in law and found they don't do it any more. It was lovely (still have empty bottle!)

SueEH Tue 24-May-22 12:56:29

coastalgran

Mitsouko, Rive Gauche, Paloma Picasso I wore them all and can't source them now but maybe they wouldn't smell right on me all these years on. I now wear Princess, Vera Wang or Daisy Marc Jacobs.

Rive Gauche is still very much available.

Pmvt2712 Tue 24-May-22 13:07:59

The original Versace