Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost Perfumes

(131 Posts)
CatsCatsCats Mon 23-May-22 10:50:15

Does anybody else mourn the perfumes they once used to love but have now been discontinued?

I have a preference for sweet perfumes and two of my favourites are no longer on the shelves - Feminine by D&G, and Jaipur by Boucheron.

I keep hoping they will come back in a blaze of glory some day.

Samsara is still in existence, though, so I'm not entirely bereft.

Nonogran Tue 24-May-22 22:04:02

blooming?? Blooming autocorrect!
I meant “flooding back.”

Nonogran Tue 24-May-22 22:02:23

My granny (born 1908, died 1977) wore a perfume that my mum recently wanted to acquire.

My daughter tracked it down via this company who were very helpful & knowledgeable:

www.woodfordes-perfumery.co.uk/

They’re in Sidmouth, Devon. It was very expensive but for my mum, it brought memories blooming back. Give them a ring!

Aprila Tue 24-May-22 21:32:35

Just prior to my first pregnancy I had treated myself to some Coty L’aimant cream skin perfume but couldn’t bear it when nausea etc set in - my Mother, who never used perfume found she liked it and from then on that was always the perfume for her. It came with wand type applicator. Went right off Tabu too!

BAGGYGRANNY Tue 24-May-22 20:15:11

fannycornforth
I miss Givenchy111 and Ma Griffe by Carven.
Managed to find M Griffe on line and much to my surprise it took me back to when I was 17yrs old ?
Cinema by YSL and Mitsouko are my favourites now, but I do like to try different ones now and again eg L’air de temps
I expect these will disappear over time

Riggie Tue 24-May-22 19:38:45

Antonia

I used to love the citrus scent of Aqua Manda, many years ago. I found some online but it was so disappointing. It was nothing like the original.

I'm late reading this thread but I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned Aqua Manda!! It was first "page"!!!

CanadianGran Tue 24-May-22 19:36:25

Zen by Shiseido is no longer produced. It was my first 'grown up' scent and I still have the original empty bottle. I have a few newer versions of the scent, Zen Secret Bloom but it doesn't sit as nicely on my skin as the original did. This is my dressed up and going out fragrance.

For every day, I spritz on White Tea by Elizabeth Arden, it's lovely and fresh.

Esspee Tue 24-May-22 19:17:04

SiobhanSharpe

Esspee

I don't think l'air du temps has been discontinued but it is increasingly difficult to find Any suggestions for a replacement gratefully received.

Allbeauty have it in various denomination.
Have to say i don't think it smells anything like it used to....

I was wondering about that SiobhanSharpe. I thought it was my sense of smell. I still like it but it doesn’t smell quite as I remember it. The cream version I still have smells right.

Aprila Tue 24-May-22 19:03:46

One recently came to mind which was called Pagan Piquant or other way around - Organza Madame da Rochas and Just Musk. Thought I was the bees knees when a recipient of Joy! It was around decades ago though - so, the power of advertising..

Aprila Tue 24-May-22 18:59:45

Surely do remember Topaz and also Occur! Shalimar too and many others ...

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 18:58:11

Yes, O by Lancome was lovely for summer. Don't know if it's still available.

Grandmama Tue 24-May-22 18:55:17

Grannybuy - I'm using Ma Griffe, fairly full bottle so not bought all that long ago, can't remember where I bought it.

I remember a Vetiver (for men) that I used to buy, possibly by Lancome. I think Trinny liked it too. I liked O by Lancome too.

Snorkel Tue 24-May-22 18:41:34

Not perfume but Revlon Flex shampoo and conditioner smelled sublime ?

jeapurs54 Tue 24-May-22 17:55:49

I Love Gingham it smelt talcum powdery but I loved it. Think it was by Innoxa.

vickya Tue 24-May-22 17:40:21

I had this one in the 1970s and loved it., No longer made sad

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 17:31:29

So did I! The spray was never as good as that was it?

Armorel Tue 24-May-22 17:29:39

I liked Coty L'Aimant in the black bottle with a little spatula to apply the perfume.

Jules1960 Tue 24-May-22 17:04:33

Havoc was my first perfume as well

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 17:01:27

Yes I remember Sortilege from the 60s. Loved it. Haven’t smelled it for many decades.

PollyDolly Tue 24-May-22 16:59:49

My earliest recollection of any perfume was Soir de Paris in a dark blue bottle. My Grandma had some but I have not seen it for years.

Slightly off topic, does anyone remember the Yardley Mini Sprays? They did some really nice, light fragrances for everyday wear. I like the one in a pale green glass bottle but can't recall the name of it.

GolferGrandma Tue 24-May-22 16:55:43

Sortilege by Le Galion. First bought for me by my then boyfriend, back about 57/58 years ago, we've now been married nearly 55 years! found some on line a few years back, but quite expensive. Various different labels, but bought the one I used to have and it was same scent, thankfully, but nearly finished it now.

25Avalon Tue 24-May-22 16:52:23

Me too Paddyanne A Toi by Atkinson. Wore it through my uni years and not found one I like as much since. Still searching!

Shinyredcar Tue 24-May-22 16:43:34

I have missed many of the fragrances listed by other posters. I find even the ones that are still around don't last as they used to. And I wonder whether it isn't the scents that change, but our chemistry as we grow older?

pen50 Tue 24-May-22 16:09:44

I love Chanel no19, very hard to find now. They brought out something called no19 Poudre which is foul.

I really miss an aftershave called Monsieur de Givenchy, worn by an old boyfriend whom I don't miss at all. I was also very fond of Eau Sauvage. DH thinks aftershave is a bit poncy and never wears it, and ordinarily I sort of agree, but I did love those ones.

gulligranny Tue 24-May-22 16:08:53

I started off in my teens with Yardley's Flair, then graduated through Femme to Mitsouko and Quadrille. Then back down to Flair and Aqua Manda (married, no money!) and then up a bit to Vanderbilt and a delicious scent called Dalissime, in a very odd-shaped bottle. Presently using Opium but they've messed about with it too much and I dislike the variants, so thinking I might go over to a man's cologne with a lavender undernote as I can't find anything I really like.

HazelGreen Tue 24-May-22 16:06:09

Diorissimo by Dior early 70's