Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you think can make you look older than your years!

(415 Posts)
Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:17:30

While having a discussion with two friends this subject came up! They were saying the way some people dress can look a bit matronly! I was saying but it’s not all about dress sense I think having a positive attitude and a smile makes you appear happier so therefore younger, it’s not always about how a person dresses! What do you gransnetters think!

Vintagejazz Wed 25-May-22 10:05:31

Longdistancegrnny

I have enjoyed this thread - but must warn against referring to anything as 'trendy' - my DD (33) always picks me up on this and says it makes me sound old! I went to meet my sisters in London a couple of weeks back wearing a subtle leopard print summer dress, denim jacket and white sneakers - felt comfortable and smart but realised this is a middle aged (well I am 68!) uniform! Two women in front of me on the train dressed almost identically and countless others spotted during the course of the day!

As a teenager we strive to dress the same as our peers, now we're ashamed to smile

Jaxjacky Wed 25-May-22 10:42:32

I agree with you ginny leading to what you vocalise, verbally or written.

Jaffacake2 Wed 25-May-22 10:46:53

When I was a teenager I loved to rebel against conventional clothes. My mum despaired as I shrunk Levis whilst wearing them in a cold bath. Liked the hippie look of cheesecloth shirts,long tatty dresses and junk shop furcoats worn with flip flops and big Indian beads.
Now I'm old I will wear what I like. Joules tops, hotter shoes cos my feet hurt, lots of scarves and linen trousers. Why worry about what others think ?!

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 11:29:34

Vintagejazz

Luccombe of it is idle chit chat. But some of it is definitely women behaving like teenagers and bitching and sneering at the way some of their contemporaries dress.

The fashion industry is killing our planet and ruining the future for our young people. Stop being superficial and superior and get a life even though it's rather late in the day

It was this bit I thought OTT. I object very strongly to being told to get a life

FannyCornforth Wed 25-May-22 11:32:04

‘Get a life’. That insufferable comment envy
And it’s companion, ‘you need to get out more’ angry

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 11:35:19

FannyCornforth

Never stopping to think of those for whom those things are impossible,

FannyCornforth Wed 25-May-22 11:36:43

Yes, Lucca and we mustn’t forget ‘haven’t you got anything better to do?’

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-May-22 11:40:07

M0nica - regarding gilets... I know someone with a very cold studio who wears a heated gilet as she works. It was given to her by a ceramics student who couldn't believe how cold the studio was during a work placement with her!
I don't like them but wouldn't knock it as it does keep the body warm with the arms still able to function!
Substance over style! grin

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-May-22 11:58:41

Just wondering if my glasses might age me??
I've repeatedly bought the same design since 1978!
Each time I try loads on and go back to the one I like.

Vintagejazz Wed 25-May-22 12:06:50

I agree telling people on a public forum to 'get a life', is insensitive.

Also asking strangers if they 'have nothing better to do' or why they 'have bothered to start a thread about something so trivial' or posting bored yawny comments or emoticons is pretty obnoxious behaviour

gulligranny Wed 25-May-22 12:21:22

I was at the hairdressers this morning and I was saying to her that having hair over my ears (I've always kept my hair quite short) makes me feel frumpy and rather "Fraulein Maria"-ish. She was kind enough to say that "frumpy" was not a word she would ever associate with me ..

And I always wear make-up when I go out, lipstick and eyeshadow make me feel less elderly.

Marydoll Wed 25-May-22 12:28:54

Lucca

FannyCornforth

Never stopping to think of those for whom those things are impossible,

Well said! I wonder how some posters would manage, walking in our shoes.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 25-May-22 12:30:15

Oh, lordy, GrammaH- have you been stalking me...?

DanniRae Wed 25-May-22 12:44:49

Callistemon21

Maggiemaybe

Ah, that’s the stripes added to the list then. grin I think I’d better just stay at home with a good book from now on, wearing my jeans and Burglar Bill tops. Especially as I’m expecting delivery today of my first ever gilet (from Joules).

That's me, too, except I'm worse, mine are chinos ???

We could go out together and sit in a corner.

Can I come and sit in the corner too? I LOVE stripes!!

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 14:01:12

Yes, we can sit and criticise all the people coming in wearing animal prints and crocs!
?

Like a more modern Ena, Minnie and Martha.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 14:01:53

And 'cold shoulder' tops are banned!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 14:03:26

Definitely. And bras with transparent plastic straps.

Margiknot Wed 25-May-22 15:32:02

I think I might be having a 'mid life' crisis as I have many of the items mentioned! My first gilet bought to beef up my not warm enough winter coat- gets far more use than originally intended ( its really useful in the house when its chilly). I like stripy tops, wear leopard print trainers, and 'sensible shoes' . I own a fleece pullover ( well I've had a fleece of some sort since they were first invented- although I no longer use them just for keeping warm half way up a mountain ). I rarely wear makeup. -No hope for me then!

I think we all mostly dress to suite our shape, colouring, life style and yes to some extent our age.

I have recently mostly retired so am still finding my feet in the smart casual world- any hints gratefully received!

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-May-22 17:28:53

Callistemon21

Yes, we can sit and criticise all the people coming in wearing animal prints and crocs!
?

Oh blimey, Callistemon, I can’t do that. I’ve been out to lunch today sporting a pair of zebra print leggings.

Perhaps I’m more of a Bet Lynch.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 17:39:11

Shame on you!!! Did you wear the Bet Lynch earrings too?

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:30:17

My girl used to call those my "Pat Butchers"

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 18:42:48

I know the name but haven't ever watched East Enders. Watched Corrie until about 20 years ago, when everyone started having it off with everyone else, regardless of gender. A long way from Albert Tatlock, Elsie Tanner, Ena Sharples et al.

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:43:49

grin

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:59:37

I think she looks pretty good.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 19:21:39

Maggiemaybe

Callistemon21

?

Oh blimey, Callistemon, I can’t do that. I’ve been out to lunch today sporting a pair of zebra print leggings.

Perhaps I’m more of a Bet Lynch.

???
???

Did you wear them with a striped top?