Gransnet forums

Chat

Monkey pox.

(49 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 14:02:32

I dismissed this as being very mild and not even worthy of thinking much about, but there are a few measures being bought in, in those places where the few cases are, it seems.

Self isolation for 21 days (!) is one I have just heard, and also it has been said that whilst it is mild, it could possibly be an issue for immune compromise people.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 21:00:00

MawtheMerrier

nanna8

I went to buy some birds custard powder at a shop that sells uk produce here and they told me there was nothing coming in from the uk at all just now because they were all in iso because of the monkey pox. Sounded alarming.

More probably due to Avian Flu! ????

???

MissAdventure Tue 24-May-22 20:30:26

It's just interesting to see how this plays out, I think.
Not particularly worrisome.

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 20:21:13

Well if we’re going to worry about everything that comes round god help us this winter when we have winter vomiting bug, ordinary flu, and any other bug that comes along we’re not going to have much of a life

MawtheMerrier Tue 24-May-22 20:12:38

nanna8

I went to buy some birds custard powder at a shop that sells uk produce here and they told me there was nothing coming in from the uk at all just now because they were all in iso because of the monkey pox. Sounded alarming.

More probably due to Avian Flu! ????

grannysyb Tue 24-May-22 19:56:50

Both my children, born '69 and '70 had smallpox vaccinations, my then GP felt that it would be a while before it was completely eradicated from the third world.

Sago Tue 24-May-22 14:02:14

Snowberry if you read my post I wrote “ promiscuity and homosexuality”

MissAdventure Tue 24-May-22 13:56:33

The thinking is that the first cases came about through sexual contact, but it could just as well have been in another way.

AreWeThereYet Tue 24-May-22 12:19:18

I think that this is something that mainly affects promiscuous people who have multiple partners.

I don't think this has got anything to do with sex at all, other than you could catch it by having sex with someone who has lesions from the close contact with their sores. You could get it by using an infected person's towels too, if they had used it before you, or by picking up their dirty clothes if you had broken skin.

snowberryZ Tue 24-May-22 11:57:24

Sago

The posters who think this is only spread through promiscuity and homosexuality are very naive.
This is going to be branded a homosexual disease like AIDS.

It can be spread via bedlinen,towels etc and close contact.

My original post says

I think that this is something that mainly affects promiscuous people who have multiple partners.
The majority of us should be fine

I didn't mention the word homosexuality.

Why are people immediately linking homosexuality with being promiscuous and and having multiple partners?confused.

Straight peoplecan be like that as well.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 10:51:55

nanna8

We had to have smallpox vaccinations in 1975 to be allowed back to Australia after visiting the UK. Plus they sprayed the plane . Maybe there was a scare or something?

Not in the UK but there may have been a smallpox outbreak somewhere on your route back.
There was one in India I think.

They always sprayed the plane and passengers to get rid of potential insects.
Australia has enough already without introducing more!

Sago Tue 24-May-22 10:43:38

The posters who think this is only spread through promiscuity and homosexuality are very naive.
This is going to be branded a homosexual disease like AIDS.

It can be spread via bedlinen,towels etc and close contact.

MerylStreep Tue 24-May-22 10:39:16

I never worried about covid, I don’t even think about this virus.
I’m a big believer in Whats meant for you won’t pass you by
Good or bad.

nanna8 Tue 24-May-22 10:27:16

We had to have smallpox vaccinations in 1975 to be allowed back to Australia after visiting the UK. Plus they sprayed the plane . Maybe there was a scare or something?

GagaJo Tue 24-May-22 10:26:08

snowberryZ

The majority of us should be fine.

This is similar to the 'they all live in close knit, multigenerational families in Italy, that's why they're over run with covid. Won't happen here' posts we had on Gransnet prior to going into total lockdown in the first wave.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 10:19:35

nanna8

What they mean is that they'd run out!!

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 10:18:10

I am not going to over-think about this disease. I don’t think my lifestyle choices put me on the monkeypox radar.

snowberryZ Tue 24-May-22 10:17:17

The majority of us should be fine.

nanna8 Tue 24-May-22 10:14:59

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 10:11:01

M0nica

COVID is infectious. Monkey pox is contagious, so unless you make some kind of skin to skin contact with someone suffering from it, you should be OK.

Frankly I just cannot be a***d to get worried about another disease. I am panicked out.

I agree.

Niobe Tue 24-May-22 06:52:20

‘Of course ‘ not ‘off course’ . Flipping iPad!

Niobe Tue 24-May-22 06:50:21

I have had the smallpox vaccine many times when it was a requirement for visiting India. It had to be redone every 3 years but off course the compulsory vaccinations were halted many years ago so I doubt if I , or any others, have any residual protection.

Daisymae Tue 24-May-22 06:30:19

I too dismissed this initially but it does seem to be highly contagious. Wondering if it's a variant, popping out from some lab?

M0nica Mon 23-May-22 22:08:34

Small pox now only exists as small samples in a couple of high security labs in a couple of countries. Once due to a lapse in security a lab technician got the disease and died. Sometime in the 1980s I think.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 19:44:42

Smallpox vaccination, a procedure that had been made compulsory in England and Wales in 1853 was discontinued in 1971 The chief reason for the end of smallpox vaccination seems fairly obvious. The disease had been all but eradicated, and had ceased to be endemic in the United Kingdom since the 1930s.
Perhaps a rethink is called for.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-May-22 19:40:16

Kate1949

The doc on TV today said that the smallpox vaccine gives 85% protection against monkeypox. Most of us had a smallpox injection as children. Does that last for life?

Did we have smallpox vaccines as children? I know DH and I had them in 1973 before going to Russia and have never been so ill in our lives. Yet I’ve read today that there are rarely side effects with the vaccine. confused