Gransnet forums

Chat

My Kindle - thanks a bunch Amazon. ?

(18 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 15:16:08

I’ve got a paperlite edition but passed my my old one to my younger daughter. It’s linked to mine.

However hers will be defunct from 17th August this year. I just received an email from Amazon. This is the first paragraph:

“An update about shopping on your Kindle.
Hello,
Thank you for continuing to use one of our earliest Kindle E-readers. While you can continue reading on your E-reader, as of August 17, 2022, store functionality will no longer be available. This change only affects certain E-readers introduced 10+ years ago (listed below). As of the 17 August you will no longer be able to browse, buy or borrow books directly from these Kindle E-readers. As always, you'll be able to browse, buy and borrow books on other supported devices or through amazon.co.uk/ebooks.“

What are your thoughts on this?
I was horrified. Talk about a ‘throwaway society’. Defunct working Kindles all over the world this summer! I thought big companies are virtue signalling left right and centre about sustainability.

Seems the lure of (already huge) profits is too good an opportunity to miss....

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-May-22 15:19:04

Unfortunately it’s the same with Apple products, the older versions do not download the latest updates, and therefore cannot be used for online banking with banks who have just upgraded their banking apps.

nexus63 Tue 24-May-22 15:24:16

i got the same email, i have about 400 books on mine at the moment so i am not sure if this means they will all be deleted, i did wonder why i was getting various emails from amazon about the kindles i could buy, it is annoying as i can only read large print books and my son got the kindle because i had gone through everything the library had.

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 15:28:30

No nexus it says you can continue to read what’s already there (bought & paid for, that’s bog of them) but no more new purchases if it’s a Kindle 10y+ old.

Elegran Tue 24-May-22 15:44:09

Don't panic. Calm down and read the email again.

I take it as meaning that you cannot buy any more books directly from the older Kindle but you can still buy Kindle books from Amazon through your ordinary Amazon account, and have them delivered to the Kindle, or download them to your Kindle device from your Kindle archive (which is accessible from your Amazon account. At the top right of the Amazon entry page is "Hello, Sign in, Accounts" )

Read your email again and you will see that it says "You can still access your existing library from your Kindle, deliver newly purchased or borrowed books to it, or download books from your Archived Items."

It doesn't mention Paperwhite in the "Which Kindle devices are affected?" question, so there shouldn't be any problem with that.
The affected ones are "Kindle (2nd generation) International, Kindle DX International, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle (4th generation) and Kindle (5th generation)."

It adds "If you are unsure which device(s) you have, visit Identify Your Kindle for more information."

Candelle Tue 24-May-22 15:47:24

My iPad will soon not be 'supported'. I won't be buying another.

Elegran Tue 24-May-22 15:52:10

The technology for buying and paying for ebooks via the older Kindles may not be compatible with the technology now being used on the web, for reasons of security and so on. It could mean that owners of these older Kindles have to engage with Amazon differently to buy and download books, but it can still be done.

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 15:54:03

Elegran thank you! A calmer and more measured mind than mine when I opened the Amazon message! Thank you.
I will look into it further this evening as we’re going out now.
I went into headless chicken mode it seems!

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 16:47:50

I haven't seen an email yet (there may be one lurking in my inbox) but I had a new Kindle about 18 months ago but kept the very old one downstairs in case I wanted to read during the day.

Up until recently what was downloaded on my new Kindle downloaded automatically on to the old one as they're linked.

However, I have to download them book by book on to the old one now.
The layout of the new one has changed too and it's less easy to use. Very annoying. Changes but not for the better.

Thanks for the information, Elegran

MagicWand Tue 24-May-22 16:49:48

I received the same email this morning being the proud owner of a Series 3 kindle; the one with the keyboard underneath. The earlier Series are much easier to repair apparently so I won’t be swapping mine voluntarily any time soon.

Now I took it to read, like Elegran, that I would no longer be able to buy e-books via my kindle but would still be able to buy them for my original machine if eg. I went online on my tablet, etc. I’m not wrong am I?

I don’t think I’ve ever bought an ebook via my kindle so was not too bothered. I never thought it had that much security if I’m honest.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 16:50:23

However, I have to download them book by book on to the old one now
From my Amazon account

henetha Tue 24-May-22 16:54:36

I had the same email and was alarmed until I read it again.
I don't think it will make much difference to me as I always download from the amazon website anyway. They send me email offers every day and I just choose from these.

Hithere Tue 24-May-22 17:35:42

OP

I find the email they sent you very reasonable
They stated the issue and a solution to that functionality that will have starting in August - just a different way to what you are used to

It is not uncommon in the industry to stop supporting certain versions of hardware or software after x years
Technology moves too fast and it is not economically possible to support every version of anything that has been deployed in the market

What I am impressed is that a 10+ year old kindle still works.
These days, technology is made to fail after a few years and it is more expensive to buy a new one than to fix.

toscalily Tue 24-May-22 18:13:09

I have an 10 + years kindle that is still working. I had read somewhere last year (think it was one of the techie websites) that some of the older models would in the near future cease to be supported and as mine was forever needing to be charged I treated myself to a new one when there was a special offer. It still works, and, as a basic model I think I have definitely had my monies worth.

grannysyb Tue 24-May-22 19:38:17

There is an app called libby which allows you to read books from libraries, doesn't cost anything!

mrswoo Tue 24-May-22 19:48:06

I have a very old, very basic Kindle (£25 on ebay years ago). I use the Kindle app on my ipad to download books and then access them via archive on my Kindle.
If I've read the email correctly I believe that if I keep doing this I can still use my Kindle (providing, of course, that the poor old thing keeps working despite its advanced years)

Ali23 Tue 24-May-22 22:27:29

grannysyb

There is an app called libby which allows you to read books from libraries, doesn't cost anything!

Yes, I use the Libby app too. Absolutely brilliant, and saves me money on book purchases, especially as I don’t tend to reread books.

Hithere Tue 24-May-22 23:13:19

There is another called overdrive