Gransnet forums

Chat

Virtual events

(199 Posts)
StarDreamer Thu 16-Jun-22 12:35:03

The Virtual cruise Lyon to Avignon and Arles is continuing yet seems likely to be completed in a few days.

What appeared to work is that I suggest a scenario then others run it.

So what next?

Bearing in mind the typical ages of readers here and thus the eras in which we grew up, and that a journey from one place to another gives a structure so that the thread progresses and moves on over a number of days, I am wondering if readers like the following idea for a scenario.

A present day rock 'n' roll history tribute band is touring from Chicago to Los Angeles along Route 66, visiting the historic parts of the old Route 66 wherever possible.

StarDreamer Sat 09-Jul-22 09:41:40

Yesterday evening I was watching one of the videos that are linked from the

LINK > Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main

thread, and at the end of the video I was offered various other videos.

This one of the Louvre in Paris is amazing. I have not watched it all yet, and it is in (at least) two long parts.

Hot rolled, only one jump in viewpoint thus far - if anyone who has visited the Louvre can explain about what is between the before and the after of the jump, that would be helpful please.

I have not watched all of it yet, and I have not seen the Mona Lisa in this video.

LINK > Inside Louvre Museum Paris, Mona Lisa - (Part 1) (58 minutes 18 seconds)

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:34:40

Callistemon21

Well, if he's not the onboard entertainment I'm out!!

That's fine. Each to their own choice. Nobody is obliged to participate. Hopefully those who post will respect the suggested format of this virtual cruise.

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 22:25:02

Well, if he's not the onboard entertainment I'm out!!

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 22:24:35

I think in GN lingo, The Argy was, like the cruises, a virtual pub……

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:21:32

Callistemon21

^sans Argy^

Why? Who is Argy?
Do you mean the recording artist?

Sorry, I can't link.

No, Argy got mentioned in the thread about the virtual cruise from Lyon to Avignon and Arles. I wondered what it meant. Apparently in a Gransnet context it means a type of (purported) female humour that is enjoyed by some females, but is not what one might regard as suitable for a family audience to use a euphemism. So this virtual cruise that I am suggesting would not be unsuitable reading for anyone, so, without Argy content, so sans Argy.

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 22:18:35

Oh, Marsha, I tried to post a photo but it seems I can't.

Thank you for the link ?

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 22:13:28

Callistemon21

^sans Argy^

Why? Who is Argy?

Sorry, I can't link.

He’s very cool - I know about him, because my twin teenage GDs are obsessed with him!

www.beatport.com/artist/argy/8642

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 22:12:25

Thank you!

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:11:18

MissAdventure

I thought you might. smile

LINK > Welcome to the virtual cruise

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:57:42

sans Argy

Why? Who is Argy?

Sorry, I can't link.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:46:38

I thought you might. smile

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 21:46:09

As I am not alone, I will start the thread.

I will place a link here when I have set it up.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:39:45

People just won't join in if it doesn't float their boat. (Pardon my pun)

I'll have a look at any links you post, though.

So, that's 2 of us, so far. smile

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 21:35:56

MissAdventure

Post what you want, stardreamer.
What you want, where you want, and how you want.

There is room for all kinds of people here, and the forums are meant to be that way.

Don't get drawn into having to defend yourself. smile

Thank you.

I have in mind a virtual cruise, sans Argy with some links and any food mentioned vegan, perhaps trying to find vegan restaurants along the way, but I am wondering if anyone is interested on that basis.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 21:31:20

Marsha

^I know it it is easy for people to dismiss people who have sparklingly original ideas, to laugh at them, but sometimes, just sometimes, a great leap forward happens^
I have to say, that sounds rather arrogant - as if the many, many people on GN who have started threads in the last ?10+ years have not put forward interesting questions or ideas…
On the other hand, people don’t necessarily want to be sparklingly astonished - at the end of a day caring for an elderly relative, or childminding boisterous grandchildren, or working in a busy supermarket, folks may well just want to chat in a casual, relaxing way.
Maybe you’re trying too hard. Actually, you are trying too hard, but, again, I don’t want to be accused of being rude.

> I have to say, that sounds rather arrogant - as if the many, many people on GN who have started threads in the last ?10+ years have not put forward interesting questions or ideas…

How did you reach that conclusion from what I wrote please?

To me, your conclusion just does not seem to follow.

On the other hand, people don’t necessarily want to be sparklingly astonished - at the end of a day caring for an elderly relative, or childminding boisterous grandchildren, or working in a busy supermarket, folks may well just want to chat in a casual, relaxing way.

That is true. However, for some people, they may be at home on their own all day, and enjoy participating rather than just passively watching television or videos, enjoying joining in and in their imagination being on a cruise. I fully accept that some people will not want to be bothered, they might not want to be bothered with Gransnet at all, or might enjoy other threads. It is like some people like going to football matches, some people would rather stay at home and paint pictures or write poetry. It is freedom of choice.

Maybe you’re trying too hard. Actually, you are trying too hard, but, again, I don’t want to be accused of being rude.

I have not accused you of being rude. I sought opinions and you have posted your opinion.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:09:47

Post what you want, stardreamer.
What you want, where you want, and how you want.

There is room for all kinds of people here, and the forums are meant to be that way.

Don't get drawn into having to defend yourself. smile

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 21:01:09

I know it it is easy for people to dismiss people who have sparklingly original ideas, to laugh at them, but sometimes, just sometimes, a great leap forward happens
I have to say, that sounds rather arrogant - as if the many, many people on GN who have started threads in the last ?10+ years have not put forward interesting questions or ideas…

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 20:53:05

Callistemon21

^sometimes, just sometimes, a great leap forward happens^

A virtual rocket trip to the moon perhaps?
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Bagsy I go with Tim Peake

We can do that if you wish.

Not quite like this though

LINK > moon trip (12 minutes 52seconds

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 20:24:57

sometimes, just sometimes, a great leap forward happens

A virtual rocket trip to the moon perhaps?
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Bagsy I go with Tim Peake

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 19:36:07

smile

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 19:34:28

Oh, the definition I found did not mention dog or bone, no etymology was stated.

www.lexico.com/definition/dogged

Some rather nice synonyms are listed.

The virtual cruise that I started went the way it did, so I wondered if some people might like a virtual cruise that is not of an Argy humour format as that is not currently available.

I have a cruise route in mind, but that is available to be changed.

If nobody is interested then I can just leave it and move on.

I know it it is easy for people to dismiss people who have sparklingly original ideas, to laugh at them, but sometimes, just sometimes, a great leap forward happens.

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 19:03:50

Well, I certainly didn’t mean to be rude to you, or about you, but not sure it was actually a compliment! Being ‘like a dog with a bone’ is not always the best approach……
I’ve started threads in the past on subjects that interest me, and might interest others, but if they don’t ‘take off’, I shrug my shoulders and move on - rather than trying to flog a dead horse, to use yet another idiom.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 18:56:07

Thank you.

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 18:53:06

You’re a dogged chap!

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 18:47:41

Thank you for replying.

Well, if people don't like the rules and therefore don't join, then that is fine. Some people like the Argy humour, some don't. I am suggesting an option. I know that a format, regarded by some as "ugh, rules!", may not be liked by some people, but that does not necessarily mean that everybody must agree with them. Some people might like and prefer a well-defined format. I am seeking to find out whether that is the case or not.

However, if a virtual cruise is started to some stated format and some people join and participate on that basis, and are finding enjoyment in doing so, then if some one or others join and "move it on as it suits them" as you put it, then, in my opinion, that would be antisocial and using bullying tactics to spoil things for other people.

It seems to me perfectly possible for there to be two separate virtual cruises, each having its own particular ambience.