Gransnet forums

Chat

The Côte D’Azur Caper

(180 Posts)
CaravanSerai Sun 26-Jun-22 22:08:59

No, not a new light BBC detective drama starring him from Midsomer Murders and her from something else that may have had Martin Clunes in it.

This is a virtual trip for Grans cruising along the Cote D’Azur on the luxury yacht Aresteas. We began in Marseille en route to Monte Carlo and are currently in Cannes.

All welcome. Bring swimsuits, sun cream and sparking Champagne.

This is a spillover thread with a title change to describe our current course. As on the old thread, we ask that people chat about the things they plan, encounter and explore along the route rather than post links.

Parsley3 Wed 06-Jul-22 08:45:14

Dammit, I have just discovered this hilarious thread too late to tango. I have once again missed the boat.

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Jul-22 10:15:42

All done!!
Perfick ?

Now off to plan the next cruise ?⛵⛴

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Jul-22 09:54:26

Joseanne

Erm did we pay a security deposit? I've just received a text to say apparently there is damage to cabin number 6. Gauloises fag ends, red wine spills, suncream smears, a steak in the minibar fridge and a comatose celebrity on the couch.
It wasn't me. I'm changing my number, someone else can own up.

They're trying it on!! When I left, everywhere, including the heads, was spick, span and Bristol fashion!!
Chuck the celebrity overboard, I'll nip back with my Marigolds and scrubber.

We need the deposit back for our next cruise

Joseanne Sat 02-Jul-22 08:57:05

So long, farewell auf wiedersehen, adieu
Don't worry riete, we always knew there were several more of you hiding in the woodwork. We called you our splinter group!
We will meet again and reassemble.
Maybe in Switzerland? ??

riete Sat 02-Jul-22 01:35:40

farewell all. and what a journey! so sorry i wasn't able to take up the offer to cook breakfast for you all, but wasn't quite sure of your reactions to a stowaway! it's been a little tricky trying to gauge the best time to exit the little lifeboat for ablutions etc, and to pick up "the crumbs" from the galley. hopefully if you do another trip i'll be able to afford the fare.
oh, and my dress is beginning to look like an esme original; kept getting caught on the sharp bits when climbing into/out of this little space i've been calling home. happy landings folks!

Joseanne Fri 01-Jul-22 15:57:44

Erm did we pay a security deposit? I've just received a text to say apparently there is damage to cabin number 6. Gauloises fag ends, red wine spills, suncream smears, a steak in the minibar fridge and a comatose celebrity on the couch.
It wasn't me. I'm changing my number, someone else can own up.

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 15:16:04

Yes, it makes me weepy too.

And I miss John Denver

Lucca Fri 01-Jul-22 14:09:20

That song always makes me ?

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 10:07:56

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm standin' here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin'
It's early morn
The taxi's waitin'
He's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome
I could die
So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

But I do get terribly seasick

Joseanne Fri 01-Jul-22 06:25:18

On a final note, I'm about to disembark having purloined the lampshade from my cabin to wear as the latest fashion in hats. With my toutou in my arms, his name is Toto by the way, all I have to say, is that this cruise has been proof that the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
Au revoir et à la prochaine. ? ? ? ? ?

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 23:11:28

Joseanne

I feel sad that it's nearly time for me to gracefully bow (get it?) out of this thread having almost reached our final destination. I've no need of Clooney or Pitt, having found a younger model.
When do we have to hand the yacht back?
One last hurrah mes amis.

Oh, I knew I'd seen you somewhere before, Joseanne

My word, you've aged well, far better than your beau in the picture ?

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 23:01:17

I'll just go and scrub the heads first, don't want any complaints!
?

Mollygo Thu 30-Jun-22 21:33:44

It’s been such a pleasure to make this journey. For the first time since 1976, I actually have an all over tan. Please make sure the next vessel doesn’t have a see-through sun deck. My apologies to all I may have shocked.

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 20:45:30

I feel sad that it's nearly time for me to gracefully bow (get it?) out of this thread having almost reached our final destination. I've no need of Clooney or Pitt, having found a younger model.
When do we have to hand the yacht back?
One last hurrah mes amis.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 20:35:11

Maw turns up on Clooney’s arm wearing her Swanky Modes Amorphous Dress followed by a mob of paparazzi

CaravanSerai - she’s been whisked off by private jet to London to be photographed for Vogue's Esme Young retrospective
The dress was featured on the Great British Sewing Bee, the contestants trying to work out how to make one!
Not a lot of people know that.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 20:27:16

Urmstongran

I’m loving this thread! Trust Maw and GSM to have copped off. Lucky buggers! Yes, let’s gate crash later.

Yes, but Clooney and Pitt are so old now Urms*
I'm sure we could do better ?

CaravanSerai Thu 30-Jun-22 13:35:41

I think it was just the curls Joseanne.

For those enjoying a cool glass of white wine. Prost! smile

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 13:33:40

I've also had a nose piercing done this morning in support of Lewis. He said he can't meet us tomorrow in Monaco unfortunately.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 13:32:11

Do you need a chaperone?

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 13:30:19

All this talk of Gitanes and Gaulloises, I've managed to get an invite to Alain's tomorrow in Monaco. He has aged well, I always used to think he looked like Leo Sayer.

CaravanSerai Thu 30-Jun-22 13:30:01

He did Joseanne. I found this in a blog:

For me, the main draw is climbing up the famous Nietszche trail from the coastline to the Village, named after the German philosopher who lived up there in the late 19th century. It is said that he climbed up the trail every day in the summer and that the heat gave him the hallucinations and inspiration for his work “Also Sprach Zarathustra “. I personally think that the daily trek up the hill also led to his celebrated madness… All this to say that the trail is ideal to climb up in the spring, autumn and winter, but not in the summer when it gets rather too warm in the sun, despite the gorgeous views. The first half is in the sunshine, directly facing the sea and the bay of Eze, then the trail turns inland and up the forested Vallon du Duc, before reaching the village. Bring plenty of water but hiking boots aren’t essential, trainers are enough. french-riviera-blog.com

Maybe the decision to kick back with a coffee watching the world go by is the safer option. No shoes required at all.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 09:15:56

I’m far from an early bird - I might wake up after a cafe or three. Some gentle people watching sounds good for a while.

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 08:17:06

the locals
Watch out for Bono, or Bill Clinton.
I think Nietzsche must have lived there too because there is a chemin named after him.

ixion Thu 30-Jun-22 08:06:04

Such early oiseaux! ouiseau - What a cracking word for Fr. Wordle, if only it had 5 letters... I digress.

As you can see, I am as yet undressed from last night and now enjoying the warmth and ambience of the Chateau, the closest I have been to home for a while yet.

I have decided to have a lazy morning. Just people watching over endless coffee and croissants, sunnies on, poised with paper as if I could understand like a native.

Quiet at the moment but I am sure it will rev up once the locals and the coach loads of trippers starting piling in.

See you later!

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 07:45:05

Don't get prickly with me Lucca or we will end up pulped in the liquidiser.
Maybe we would come out as smoothies?