Gransnet forums

Chat

The plane is waiting but I have to hoover, dust and clean ! WHY ???

(143 Posts)
Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jun-22 10:34:03

Right, so my question this morning has been a puzzle to me for years.

We go on our holidays the following day but almost burn ourselves out ( well I do ) by cleaning , washing, hoovering the house the day before !!!!

WHY?????

This morning I have hoovered, whipped a COBWEB from a corner that I have seen a fortnight ago ( but felt a great need to get it today !!!) Washed things that didn't REALLY need washing, taken an old toothbrush to sink taps, bath taps, kitchen taps !!! WHY ????

I mean seriously! Why is it soooooo necessary to clean TAPS before I jump on a plane to whisk me off to a place called BLISS.

Don't get it, never have and never will...

confusedconfusedconfused

Julest Fri 01-Jul-22 16:41:22

I do the exact same thing! I am frequently up until about 3am packing as I spent so long cleaning the house (doing things I ignored for 3 months prior) that I haven’t even started getting packed to go away. I then stress as I haven’t looked out passports or items that I need for my trip and I am scrambling about at the last minute trying to find them as I then might miss my flight as I am running so late!!! My husband gets so frustrated with me ??

Joseanne Fri 01-Jul-22 16:02:50

On the other hand, if the house were left looking a real tip, maybe a burglar would look in and think someone had beaten them to it and leave!

hamster58 Fri 01-Jul-22 15:42:52

I absolutely agree with this. I think no matter how good and relaxing a holiday is, you’re always tired from the return journey, so seeing anything other than a clean house clean bed linen and towels and no old food in the fridge or full bins is essential. Have a lovely time ?

cupcake1 Fri 01-Jul-22 15:26:51

Sincere condolences granto2 ?
Another crackpot here I’d never go away without cleaning washing etc first. I’m one of them that likes to come home to a clean and tidy house. ?

granto2 Fri 01-Jul-22 15:11:21

What do you mean Serendipity22, I thought everyone did this ??. I think the word my daughter uses is “anal”?. My darling husband who sadly died two weeks ago thought I was crackers too.

Teacheranne Fri 01-Jul-22 15:04:14

Marmight

Im very much an 11th hour person. Even though I have weeks or even months to clean the house, tidy drawers, rearrange the contents of cupboards etc….I can only do it in the 24 hours before leaving home. I also leave details of insurances, will, POA, bank, passwords, pins etc hidden in a place known only to DDs.
It’s such a joy to return home, not dead as anticipated, and find the place so clean and tidy ready for things to slip in the following weeks back into disarray and mess ?

I send an email to my adult children and my sister with all my travel details and important phone numbers ( insurance, neighbours, loss of credit card etc). This means I can access my email account while I am away if I need any of the details. I think it is more secure than writing things down as my email account is password protected.

I also have a photocopy of my passport saved in the iCloud so I can access it from any computer or my phone if I lose my passport. In fact, as my new phone uses facial recognition, I now save a lot of important info on my phone as it can be quicker than looking for the paperwork.

cc Fri 01-Jul-22 14:59:05

I always used to notice the smell of our cat when we came home, however much I cleaned he was still there.
We no longer have a cat and the smell is the one thing I don't miss!

sazz1 Fri 01-Jul-22 14:57:55

I give the house a good clean when family come to stay which is usually once a month. Found a spray called Elbow Grease which is fantastic on worktops sinks hobs etc. Use it all the time now.

GolferGrandma Fri 01-Jul-22 14:44:33

Predictive text!!! Should be Jalyn

GolferGrandma Fri 01-Jul-22 14:43:29

Serendipity22 and Jaclyn
I always clean before going away and change bed linen so as to come back to a tidy/clean house. Also had a very house-proud neighbour who used to look after place in our absence and worried about her thoughts if mine wasn’t “up to scratch”! Drives my DH mad!
My Mother never returned to her house and for years an Aunt always bore that in mind when going away in case it happened to her. I always remind DS and DD where all important paperwork is and any valuables (?) I may have hidden. Sad or what?

Rosina Fri 01-Jul-22 14:04:59

I worked with a lady who went on holiday often, and had to have everything perfect - consequently her husband and children had to strip off when they got home from school or work and put dressing gowns on, so that she could wash every single thing before they went....

Marmight Fri 01-Jul-22 14:00:05

Im very much an 11th hour person. Even though I have weeks or even months to clean the house, tidy drawers, rearrange the contents of cupboards etc….I can only do it in the 24 hours before leaving home. I also leave details of insurances, will, POA, bank, passwords, pins etc hidden in a place known only to DDs.
It’s such a joy to return home, not dead as anticipated, and find the place so clean and tidy ready for things to slip in the following weeks back into disarray and mess ?

Soniah Fri 01-Jul-22 13:20:47

Not me, strip the beds so they air, leave the house as usual, not spotless but fine

Nannina Fri 01-Jul-22 13:19:14

I’ve always left the house clean and tidy, changed the bed, done all the washing before holidays. Last thing before I leave the bins are emptied and loo and sinks get a dose of bleach. I think I do it so I come back to an ordered and welcoming home before the chaos of unpacking and holiday washing

sundowngirl Fri 01-Jul-22 13:14:57

GagaJo

A friend mentioned doing this to me many years ago. And I started doing it too, after she said it.

It's because I hate coming home to a dirty/untidy house. I want to walk in to a lovely clean home. It stresses me to walk into mess/dirt.

I also hate people that start unpacking downstairs. Take the case to your room and unpack there! Keep the place tidy.

We always took our cases upstairs to unpack. However after our last trip the weight and momentum of the case pulled my husband down the flight of stairs, breaking several ribs and his elbow in the fall. He is still suffering after several months, so from now on we unpack downstairs.

moobox Fri 01-Jul-22 13:12:43

Sometimes specially cleaned and tidied holiday accommodation looks nicer than home, so it is trying to combat that feeling

Coco51 Fri 01-Jul-22 12:56:47

Bellanonna

*Serendipity*, perhaps you’re afraid that burglars will break in and feel shocked if you don’t leave the place sparkling.

I guess, though, you just like to come back, probably tired from the journey and your cleaned home will be a joy to get back to.

Have a great holiday. I don’t share your zeal.

On the other hand, if it is left untidy burglars may think that others got there first!

Jess20 Fri 01-Jul-22 12:25:00

I get it, nice to come home to a clean house with no chores waiting ?

Bambibear Fri 01-Jul-22 12:15:43

Serendipity22

Well firstly THANK YOU for replies, it seems to me I am just CRACKERS haaaaaa.

Fanny I am off to see my son in Canada and I HAVE MY 2 75ml OF MAGICOOL with me and alllllll thoughts will be on you because it was you who gave me good feedback on it.....

I had to laugh at your post Bellanonna about the burglars..... despite finding it funny, IT BETTER NOT HAPPEN!!!

Thanks again for posts, it still a puzzle and being a gal who likes to know WHY A,B and C takes place, THIS 1 is gyrating on me ..

confusedconfusedconfused

It’s not just you. With me it’s definitely a case of knowing when I return, I can relax and knowing nothing needs to be done makes coming home more welcoming (despite after 3 weeks in the US last month I returned home to so many cobwebs!). My husband calls it burglar cleaning as he thinks I do it so I’m not ashamed of the house if we do get broken in to. I told him the real reason is if we do get burgled, I’ll know which fingerprints the police can use!

StephLP Fri 01-Jul-22 12:09:56

Did this for years. Then - we arrived home from a long flight one year to find 3 fire engines outside our home. There had been a fire caused by an electrical fault - it spread through the loft, caused the water tank to burst and flood the place. Lost virtually everything. I've never bothered to clean and tidy since when we are going away - other than the normal everyday clean up.

GoldenAge Fri 01-Jul-22 12:09:46

Serendipity22 - it's simply cleaning the decks before you start something new. If you thought you were coming home to an untidy, mucky house that would sap up all the energy you will accumulate on your blissful holiday, that holiday would do you no good at all. I'm the same as you and countless others, there has to be a clean slate before going off to bask in whatever enjoyment you've chosen for yourself.

Missiseff Fri 01-Jul-22 12:04:57

I do it. And change the bed. Always will.

Nana4 Fri 01-Jul-22 11:56:15

So glad I am not the only one!! Makes coming home heavenly!!! All nice, clean and tidy .. before we start messing it up again with loads of washing, meal prep, etc …
Well worth it, when you relax on your hols, closing your eyes and imagining your lovely home waiting for you. Always happy to go away and always happy to sleep in my bed again

Janetashbolt Fri 01-Jul-22 11:48:04

I am terrified of flying, when I used to fly alot I'd clean the house and put next of kin details on a post it at the front door incase I died and the police had to break in

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 11:48:02

Yep.
Stark, staring bonkers. grin

Mind you, when I was taken very ill, I quickly emptied the bin and wiped up, because I knew I needed to get to a hospital quickly.