Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, that's done it , I'm a blubbering mess !

(44 Posts)
hazel93 Sun 03-Jul-22 19:47:03

Quick back story - DH and I moving to Cornwall shortly to our self build house (can't call it a home yet) and retirement.
We see our DGD often , have done since she was born , they live about a 5min drive away - lucky us. She has been involved all the way in as much as she can understand at 3yrs. old regarding our moving and has been really excited .
That is until today.
They came for late lunch as per. everything fine. Time to go home and she starts to cry, I mean really cry, rushes into my arms and says "Don't go Nanny, I will really really miss you ".
I know all will be well eventually but the minute they left I just started to blub and can't seem to stop.
Anyone else as pathetic as me ?

Deedaa Sun 17-Jul-22 23:35:46

When I was seriously ill at Easter I was told that I had to get better as my 15 year old grandson wants me to live for ever. I don't see him anything like as much as I did when he was little and he doesn't say much but I know he likes having me around.

Pippa22 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:39:29

I live alone in a house that is too big for me. However I stay in it because of all the memories but also because my two children visit and it’s “home” and my grandchildren love very regular sleepovers and call it “second home”. No way could I move and definitely not miles away, I love being just ten minutes away from one and an hour from the other.

lixy Tue 05-Jul-22 13:51:51

Glad you're feeling a bit better - put that bucket somewhere safe! Hope all goes well.

V3ra Tue 05-Jul-22 13:39:12

Upside being she popped around yesterday after nursery to bring her bucket and spade for me to pack !

Now that has brought a tear to my eye! ?

hazel93 Tue 05-Jul-22 10:21:52

Thank you all so much for your replies, most have made me smile, to those who are unable , for whatever reason, to see their grandchildren, my heart goes out to you.
Anyway, I am now feeling somewhat happier, it was just such a shock at the time, this little person who I love beyond measure sobbing and it was all my fault !
Upside being she popped around yesterday after nursery to bring her bucket and spade for me to pack ! Our favourite beach will be a couple of minutes away so all will be well - eventually !

Treetops05 Mon 04-Jul-22 20:53:40

Our DGS is nearly 3, and sadly virtually non-verbal...I'd give anything just to hear 'Nanny'

Mamma7 Mon 04-Jul-22 17:41:11

Growing up I expected to live away from my parents (university etc) and I expected my children to move away too. What happened was I moved my parents to live near me when they were in their early 60s and my children moved away for university and work but after a few years returned to live in same village…, just shows!
Wouldn’t move away from my children/grandchildren now however tempting though - I’ve changed!

Camille333 Mon 04-Jul-22 15:56:59

It's so lovely to hear your closeness with your grandchildren,must be so special ,I wish I could have it with mine, I thought I would but sadly I've not been allowed to,it makes me heartbroken that my grandson will think I never cared when I so wanted to be part of his life.

4allweknow Mon 04-Jul-22 15:52:28

Definitely can relate. A son had finished Uni and decided to go abroad for a 'gap year' . Yes, I know you are supposed to do that before starting Uni. He went to Thailand (3 years there), and DH and I visited. Great time was had. However on leaving it was my birthday and DS saying his funds were limited so present wasn't much. He handed me a scroll he had written in Thai. Sentiment on scroll all about parents. Got in car to go to airport started blubbing.Boarded flight to Bangkok airport still blubbing. Cabin crew asking if I was scared of flying hence being upset. Bangkok airport, blubbed the whole time awaiting flight to UK. On plane and can recall watching the map showing our location. Over India and still going at it. Nothing DH could do or say helped. Eventually persuaded to have a few sips of brandy and it worked. I feel asleep until landing, absolutely exhausted. I did visit DS again in Thailand and other countries he lived in for 6 years without experiencing anything like it again. So yes, I can completely understand the non stop crying.

BlueSky Mon 04-Jul-22 15:24:52

I know Missiseff I would never have left my DC and DGC but when I was young I moved away from my parents. Karma perhaps?

Missiseff Mon 04-Jul-22 14:41:13

I wouldn't go

cupcake1 Mon 04-Jul-22 14:40:16

Hazel93 Your post resonates with so many of us! My two DGD’s now 19 and 16 (DD’s 2 girls) are still always very polite but DH and I helped looked after them since they were born. Now they have far more in their lives eldest at uni and youngest just about to start college. I too miss the closeness we once had but that’s life I guess.

V3ra Mon 04-Jul-22 14:24:59

Now she will (very politely) suggest I leave her alone if she is feeing solitary. I know that this is part of her make up and her getting older and try not to take it to heart. But it does bring tears to my eyes sometimes when I think how loving our relationship used to be.

Amalegra your relationship is still loving. Your granddaughter is politely telling you what she needs from you at that moment, which is space.
She'll appreciate you meeting her needs without a fuss and she'll still love you. It's not always about hugs and kisses.

Ninney Mon 04-Jul-22 14:19:48

GS2 went to Legoland with his mum n dad. He made a Lego Grandma! How thrilled was I at the thought that I would recieve this precious little token as a holiday gift! No...whe they got home GS2 proudly told me Lego Grandma was staying in the lego prison with lego mummy and lego daddy!! I couldn't stop laughing!

aonk Mon 04-Jul-22 14:15:17

Please don’t take this as a criticism because we’re all different but my family might leave me but I will never ever leave them.

red1 Mon 04-Jul-22 14:10:13

not pathetic, a heartfelt post.5 years ago my son and children moved to northern ireland, i visit them often, i usually bottle my feelings when i leave them, the odd time i blubber., it s the price of loving them .Ive racked my brains,read loads about the subject,there is no way around the fact that moving away hurts.There's too much of 'its there lives, get over yourself ad finitum'

Coco51 Mon 04-Jul-22 14:00:50

DGD was with us during DD’s full time work from age one and stayed over at least once a week (still does) but when she was told off would wail ‘I want my Nanny’ Sheis very affectionate and says she’ll miss me, but she also misses her Mum.
In the summer holidays she is spending teo weeks with DS in Scotland and going on holiday for a week, so this year marks the loosening of physical ties but I know it will be harder for me than her. DD used to sing a song ’Love is like a magic penny, hold it tight and you haven’t got any’ and it’s sobyrue

LovelyLady Mon 04-Jul-22 14:00:03

Ouch! We’d have moved long ago had we not lived so close to the GC.
I know it can’t last as they grow up and each year they change. The youngest now doesn’t like to hold hands when I do the school collection. She doesn’t like giving a kiss but will put the back of her head near me for me to kiss her head. I cherish those moments as I know they will not last. How fortunate to have grandchildren to love.

annemac101 Mon 04-Jul-22 13:56:04

Oh goodness I'm in tears reading these posts. Three of my grandchildren live about 40 mins away by car and the other two are 10 minutes away. We have sleepovers with them all, it's hectic but I love it. I'm hoping to give them happy memories of me and their grandpa when we're not here anymore. The oldest two are 11and 9 and I know that sooner or later they'll be too busy with friends to want to stay over. So just trying to make the most of it while we can and give them all my attention and the best time.

Bodydoctor12 Mon 04-Jul-22 13:48:30

I would never use the word pathetic to describe what is a normal human reaction. I’d be more wary if this didn’t make you cry! How lovely to have a 3yo who loves her Nanny like that. Aren’t you lucky and won’t it be nice when she visits and you can show her all the joys of Cornwall life. Good luck with your move. ??

lixy Mon 04-Jul-22 13:28:08

hazel93 I hope you enjoy your new home.
When we moved after 24 years in the same house I was on the verge of tears fairly often in the run up to the actual move - usually quite stoical but in those busy emotionally charged weeks it didn't take much to tip me over the edge. Keep the tissues handy along with your best 'professional' smile, and look forward to holidays and sleepovers.

Amalegra Mon 04-Jul-22 13:18:54

I am very lucky! I live ten minutes from my DD and her children and always have so I have been very involved with her and the first two GC when she was a single Mum. Now she has a daughter with her new husband and a step daughter who lives full time with them and I am still very much around them all. The little ones (7, 8 and 2) love having Nana involved (even my stepGD) and are always sad to see me go, clamouring to stay over (the elder two anyway!) which makes my heart sing with joy and brings a tear to my eye! My 12 year old eldest granddaughter, however, who used to love to stay with her Nana, is more distant now. She is quite the young lady and, being on the spectrum, is very self contained. Makes me sad sometimes when I think of past days. Now she will (very politely) suggest I leave her alone if she is feeing solitary. I know that this is part of her make up and her getting older and try not to take it to heart. But it does bring tears to my eyes sometimes when I think how loving our relationship used to be.

AngBrew Mon 04-Jul-22 13:16:25

My DH and I live 240 miles away from our 3 year old granddaughter but oh boy what I would give to live near them and see them regularly compared to every three months or so as it is now. In Lockdown we went through two phases of 8 months without seeing them. Of course we Facetimed but its not the same. I get so upset each time we leave them all.

PamQS Mon 04-Jul-22 12:58:26

You are NOT pathetic! The bond with grand children is very special, and often very close. And the prospect of moving far away from them, with all the hassle of the new house to ‘look forward’ to, must be upsetting for you all.

BlueSky Mon 04-Jul-22 12:56:29

Tilly that’s the upside for us long distance grannies! flowers