Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else get the feeling the west is giving up on Ukraine ?

(75 Posts)
Secretsquirrel1 Mon 04-Jul-22 22:44:49

I’m getting the feeling that the west / nato is now losing the sense of urgency to help Ukraine win the war., I wonder if it’s because they have at this stage, calculated that unless we actually joined the fighting ( which we won’t do) , that it is highly likely that Russia is going to win.

I really hope we haven’t given up. I feel like screaming at the TV when I hear Ukraine’s leaders desperately asking for more weapons. Although we hear we are sending more, it now seems to me, slow to respond and with less sense of determination.

Am I just feeling gloomy ?

Normandygirl Tue 20-Dec-22 19:06:28

Maybe if Ukraine/USA had honoured the 2008 Minsk agreement, we wouldn't be where we are? This war did not start in Feb 2022, it's been going on for years and hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian lives have been lost well before Putin set foot in the country. I don't recall seeing any outrage then.
There are no "Good Guys" in this conflict.

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Dec-22 20:12:15

Yes, it's very scary.

nadateturbe Sat 17-Dec-22 18:37:28

So we'll just wait and see how far Russia will go.

AreWeThereYet Sat 17-Dec-22 17:41:54

There are still many, many people helping in Ukraine that never make the headlines. There are also still many people in the UK supporting Ukrainian refugees, and some here are having pretty grim Christmases even if there are no bombs.

Unless we have an all out war (God forbid) I think the only people who can do anything about Putin are the Russian people themselves. There probably aren't many in Russia having a joyful Christmas either, with their children all away fighting whether they want to or not.

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Dec-22 17:25:57

We can't do anything personally to stop Putin.
He is evil, I do wish his own people would rise up against him but so many have been brainwashed by his propaganda.

However, what we can do is support Ukrainian refugees in this country, mainly women and children whose husbands and fathers may be captives of the Russians, held hostage or fighting on the front line.
They may feel more heartened knowing their wives, partners, children are safe here and being provided with shelter, warmth, food and clothing.

There are local groups helping in most areas.

MerylStreep Sat 17-Dec-22 16:35:08

nadateturbe

Zoejory everyone bows to Russian nuclear threats. So what will stop them going further...

Simple: Trident.

nadateturbe Sat 17-Dec-22 16:08:00

Sparklefizz I don't really know. I'm no expert but it seems unfair that Ukraine can not counter attack Russia. Their country is being devastated. It's just so shocking. A year ahead life in Ukraine was normal.
Russia will always threaten the world with nuclear weapons.

Sparklefizz Sat 17-Dec-22 09:35:41

Ukraine is only 1,200 miles from London. We can't afford to withdraw support and I don't think that's happening at all. Just because it's no longer front page news doesn't mean that there isn't a huge amount going on under the radar as someone said above.

I don't know what you expect us to do nadateturbe - nuke Russia to get in first??

The best thing that can happen is that Putin is toppled by the Russians themselves, or that his health deteriorates. I vote that NanKate gets ready with that arsenic [grin} Of course, we don't know who might step up in his place.

CatsCatsCats Sat 17-Dec-22 09:17:29

That's a coincidence! That the OP should post this on the Friday when, on Radio 4's news this morning, it was mentioned that Rishi Sunak had ordered some statistical information on the progress of the war. And that some feared this was the beginning of the government taking a step backwards to their commitment to the war...... I hope not.

Wyllow3 Fri 16-Dec-22 22:20:32

There are also some extremely nasty undertones that people may not be aware of.

In the sauna - of all places - I was treated to an account of how "The Jews" were behind Zelensky and how Putin was standing up against them. Putin, of course, is a notorious anti-semite.

This has been going on since February and unfortunately it's become tied up with both right wing US politics and other cultures' anti-semitism. The person today was unable to acknowledge that there is all the difference in the world between the politics of the Israeli State and people who are of Jewish Heritage - I called him out on that of course

This has now been drawn into the dark world of Twitter under Musk.
This article is self explanatory.

theintercept.com/2022/11/22/twitter-allows-russian-officials-share-antisemitic-cartoon-zelenskyy/

Wyllow3 Fri 16-Dec-22 21:43:41

I fear what I have all along - that the endgame is annexing the east and access to the coast, always was, and its a wearing down exercise all round. Some indirect mention of this on R4 1pm news in an interview of a Russian big shot.

I'd love to be proved wrong!

NanKate Fri 16-Dec-22 21:32:06

Putin is a murdering b*******d and for a peaceful law abiding person I would happily drop some arsenic in his vodka.

I hope and pray the U.K. and the rest of NATO keep solidly together until this tyrant and any of his henchmen are extinguished.

nadateturbe Fri 16-Dec-22 20:11:05

dlizi4

nadateturbe

I think it's disgraceful how we have all let Ukraine down. They are suffering very badly while we all look forward to Christmas.
Russia should not have been allowed to do this.

a cold and impoverished Christmas for many here

Point taken. Of course not everyone is looking forward to it. But compared to Ukraine bombings ...

dlizi4 Fri 16-Dec-22 17:49:17

nadateturbe

I think it's disgraceful how we have all let Ukraine down. They are suffering very badly while we all look forward to Christmas.

a cold and impoverished Christmas for many here

Greyduster Fri 16-Dec-22 16:47:43

NATO will not have given up on Ukraine. They can’t afford to. As with all NATO military operations there will be an awful lot going on under the radar that the press and general public aren’t and never will be party to.

nadateturbe Fri 16-Dec-22 16:39:22

I hope he pops his clogs soon, but who will replace him ?
Sooner or later we may have to stand up to Russia.

Zoejory Fri 16-Dec-22 16:03:17

nadateturbe

Zoejory everyone bows to Russian nuclear threats. So what will stop them going further...

I"ve no clue, nadaturbe , but from reports it would appear that Russia aren't doing as well as they expected. I think our best hope will be when Putin pops his clogs.

They do have the nuclear threats but of course the west also has them. So hopefully that will keep him at bay.

nadateturbe Fri 16-Dec-22 15:59:24

Zoejory Fri 16-Dec-22 15:41:40

nadateturbe

Not sure how anyone could have stopped Russia from doing this!

And as I posted above, we're still helping. UK, EU and USA are all assisting.

Zoejory Fri 16-Dec-22 15:40:33

I think we're still assisting a great deal but, as has been mentioned, other things take the headlines.

The UK is the second largest military donor to Ukraine, committing 2.3 billion pounds this year alone. We've pledged the same for next year.

www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2022/12/07/britain-ramps-up-anti-tank-weapon-production-to-refill-stocks/

There's a lot online about what help we're giving.

halfpint1 Fri 16-Dec-22 15:27:14

Last week Europe voted on a 18 Billion euros aid for
Ukraine, so its still getting assistance , the 'other' headlines
are perhaps taking centre stage in Britain.

nadateturbe Fri 16-Dec-22 14:10:30

Katie59 Thu 15-Dec-22 19:26:51

I learned a lot hosting exchange students years ago, it was only a month at a time, some were a pleasure to have, some were trouble after a week, regrettably I have to say the girls were much worse than the boys.

Eileen Thu 15-Dec-22 16:53:53

Why won’t the West let Ukraine fire into Russia? With the weather deteriorating and the power and water systems so badly damaged by Russia Ukraine should be allowed to retaliate.

Grantanow Thu 13-Oct-22 11:50:55

There is clearly scope for behind the scenes negotiation through the Turks and possibly Saudis but both Putin and Zelynski would be at risk of being deposed by their own hardliners if concessions were made. I think this is going to drag on for a long time and be expensive for Russia and the West.