Gransnet forums

Chat

‘So when WILL he go?’: Sweepstake ?

(86 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 07-Jul-22 08:05:00

‘Bet Nah!’ ? as Ray Winston might say.

Name your day and time of the announcement
(and, as another thread suggests, get your celebratory tipple of choice at the ready)?

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Jul-22 20:50:17

SueDonim

MissAdventure

I'm glad the public never footed the bill for that treehouse, now.

Did they not? I was going to offer Boris £5 for it, so I could put it in my garden for my GC to play on.

I bid £6!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-Jul-22 19:06:23

OK, so he hasn't gone in the sense that he thinks he's still PM until September. Why on earth, then, did he not feel he should chair the COBRA meeting about the heat wave expected in the south? He was at a party - AGAIN!!! I am getting fed up with thinking that you couldn't make it up. What next?? angryangry

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jul-22 15:43:11

Ah, of course.
No strings attached.

Daisymae Thu 07-Jul-22 15:01:05

MissAdventure

It was going to be funded by a Tory donor. Who if course wanted nothing in return

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jul-22 14:49:18

smile
I reckon we would have found him hiding in it. Refusing to leave.

SueDonim Thu 07-Jul-22 14:45:56

MissAdventure

Did they not? I was going to offer Boris £5 for it, so I could put it in my garden for my GC to play on.

TillyTrotter Thu 07-Jul-22 14:40:24

When will he leave Number 10?
He will say he is staying (until the Autumn is the line right now), then give it a couple of days while Carrie has time to pack their stuff and he will be out next week is my guess.
In the same vein as he said last night he would not resign,
then this morning a U-turn, he resigned.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jul-22 14:35:09

annsixty Thu 07-Jul-22 14:32:45

New sweepstake then.
How long will Carrie stay?

Galaxy Thu 07-Jul-22 12:32:43

So who had 12.30. Well done. And thank God.

Zonne Thu 07-Jul-22 12:00:40

Grannynannywanny

I watched that live yesterday afternoon Zonne. At one point the man to his right shoulder wrote something on a sheet of paper and passed it to him while he was speaking. I wondered if he wrote “Shut up and don’t say anything else!”

Or 'oh hell, that's torn it...'

Grannynannywanny Thu 07-Jul-22 11:57:19

I watched that live yesterday afternoon Zonne. At one point the man to his right shoulder wrote something on a sheet of paper and passed it to him while he was speaking. I wondered if he wrote “Shut up and don’t say anything else!”

TopsyIrene06 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:55:04

No way should he stay on until the autumn. Play for time is his motto and heaven help us while we are waiting for his departure. Damage will be done if he stays on. I hope I am wrong.

M0nica Thu 07-Jul-22 11:39:36

I was in my local town this morning. People were stopping each other in the street to share the news and looking cheerful, it wasn't even people with known political alliegances, it was everybody

Never has the country been so united around the conviction, that the PM must go.

Zonne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:18:06

On top of all the other concerns, we saw yesterday, as a result of Liaison Committee questioning, that Johnson is a security risk. I don't see, given that, how he can possibly be allowed to remain as a loose cannon PM for minutes, let alone several months.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N__zgNR0g_Y

Smileless2012 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:11:27

He's making a statement at midday. He should go today and not stay on until the Autumn.

Glorianny Thu 07-Jul-22 11:01:24

You have to remember as well that Parliament will be off on its summer hols very soon, so no PMQs to face, things will just progress as usual.

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 10:53:33

BlueBalou

He’s resigning as Tory Leader not PM so how the hell will that work?

I don't think the tories want him to stay on as interim PM.

It would be possible for someone else to do it.

This thread is worth reading...

twitter.com/cath_haddon/status/1544974582196703233

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Jul-22 10:45:34

Maggiemaybe

FannyCornforth
If that means 10am (sorry, bit dense) then Maggie called it! ???

Yay, thank you, Fanny! I’d better keep the fizz on ice until playgroup’s finished though. grin

Though the BBC are still talking about his resignation as imminent, so I think I might have to show Boris an example and concede defeat. grin

BlueBalou Thu 07-Jul-22 10:43:42

He’s resigning as Tory Leader not PM so how the hell will that work?

annodomini Thu 07-Jul-22 10:24:53

He has resigned as leader of the Conservative Party. This means that he will continue in post as PM until a successor is elected. The Today Programme decided to stay on air after 9am and that's when they got the scoop when Chris Mason received a call from No 10. Is a 'lame duck' PM in the interests of the country? Probably not: the chaos will continue as the pretenders proceed to stab one another in the back.

Glorianny Thu 07-Jul-22 10:16:33

Of course if he doesn't stay on his successor must be Dominic Raub the deputy PM

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Jul-22 10:15:41

FannyCornforth
If that means 10am (sorry, bit dense) then Maggie called it! ???

Yay, thank you, Fanny! I’d better keep the fizz on ice until playgroup’s finished though. grin

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 10:09:14

Glorianny

Grandmabatty

Well I'm happy to say I was proved wrong! Nearly. I can't imagine him staying til autumn. Is that what he demanded from the Tory Party perhaps? What a mess.

No it's the way it works when there isn't a leader of the party.

It has been suggested that he'll be desperate to stay on as caretaker, as to go right away would mean that Teresa May will have served as PM for longer than him!

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 10:06:28

Is he meeting with HM today?

I would say shortly after she has had a word in his ear.