Gransnet forums

Chat

Ahoy, expert knitters and crocheters! Need a decision on something, please

(35 Posts)
Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 14:37:58

Please look at this Plümo "Crochet Cream Scarf" and tell me if it is knitted or crocheted. Look closely and let me know. Many thanks.

www.plumo.com/products/Crochet-cream-scarf.html

Esmay Mon 11-Jul-22 11:39:26

Hi Baggs ,
Okay -
I asked my expert crochet and knitting friends and they all said that the border is definitely knitted and the centre very badly crocheted !
They even laughed at the uneven stitches !
And they are offering their services to Plumo !

Maybe send it to one of the knitting magazines !

BlueBalou Fri 08-Jul-22 02:20:39

I think it’s knitted, though I can’t magnify it clearly.

Nannytopsy Fri 08-Jul-22 00:54:25

Knitted - you can clearly see stocking stitch in the border and garter stitch in some of the little centres.

lixy Thu 07-Jul-22 22:05:45

It does look knitted to me - but I also wondered about Tunisian crochet Esmay, This is done on one long crochet hook (as long as a knitting needle) and the end result looks like knitting.

Esmay Thu 07-Jul-22 17:31:48

This has driven me crazy !
I have to ask my friend ,who is far superior to me at these crafts .
Is it a mixture of both knitting and crochet ?
I'm just wondering if it isn't made in Tunisia - their knitting looks like crochet or it is Turkish ?
Years ago, I had something similar from Malta .

It's rather expensive .

Billybob4491 Thu 07-Jul-22 16:35:57

Its knitted, I have knitted something similar.

Ailidh Thu 07-Jul-22 16:07:57

The edging definitely looks knitted. At first I thought the centre could be crocheted but on closer inspection I'm pretty sure it is not.

CraftyGranny Thu 07-Jul-22 16:06:04

I'd say definitely knitted.
The extra picture is crochet.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:53:20

I just looked at the second photo in the link and yes, it's all knitted.

karmalady Thu 07-Jul-22 15:53:16

an easy knit. Would cost about £30 to make

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:49:53

X post!

If that's a different item (crocheted in singles, trebles and chains?) then I would say the scarf is knitted.

But I wouldn't claim to be an expert

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:46:06

Baggs

If you look carefully at the centre part of the shawl you should see that the stitch in the centre of a "spiders" is quite different from that in the photo below, which is spider lace crochet.

That part in the picture is crocheted but the part shown in the picture in the link looks knitted.

Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 15:43:05

The extra photo is crochet but it not a photo of the shawl. It's there to illustrate the difference.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:41:59

Just seen the extra photo. Yes crochet there too.

Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 15:41:58

Photo not great as it's a screen shot but it is possible on my laptop to blow up the centre part of the shawl enough to see that it is definitely knitted. Lacy knit, yes, but knitted nonetheless.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:40:51

All knitted.

Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 15:40:16

If you look carefully at the centre part of the shawl you should see that the stitch in the centre of a "spiders" is quite different from that in the photo below, which is spider lace crochet.

Liz46 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:37:15

The part that is visible is knitted.

MiniMoon Thu 07-Jul-22 15:13:27

The main body of the scarf is crocheted spider lace and the edging looks like waistcoat stitch with chain stitches. It all looks like it's crocheted to me.

Septimia Thu 07-Jul-22 14:54:43

I think the body of the scarf might be crocheted, but the edging certainly looks knitted.

Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 14:51:53

Agreed on the excessive cost.

DD1, who is an expert knitter and crocheter said this:

"Definitely not crochet, although I think the words for knitting and crochet are the same in many languages so maybe it's a translation issue. Clothing manufacturers often call knitted lace or machine lace 'crochet' though because it's fashionable, but it's literally impossible to produce crochet other than by hand."

Maywalk Thu 07-Jul-22 14:49:58

I know one thing for certain, I WOULD NOT pay that price for it.

Doodledog Thu 07-Jul-22 14:49:45

Scrap that - I saw there is another view that I could close in on. Yes, it is knitted.

It is a common mistake. My daughter often asks me to make crocheted things for her, when I can only knit. She just shrugs and says 'can't you just knit it instead?' ?

GrandmaSeaDragon Thu 07-Jul-22 14:49:39

Looks like it’s knitted, not crocheted, to me. Jolly expensive though, even at sale price! A Great Aunt knitted a similar pattern shawl in 2ply for my first born many years ago.

Baggs Thu 07-Jul-22 14:48:16

I wondered about the centre as well, dd, but was able to zoom in enough to see garter or reverse purl knitting in the centre.