Gransnet forums

Chat

Living the Frugal Life (Semi-lighthearted) ?

(259 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 12:26:49

Hello!
Further to the ‘Tightening our Belts’ thread; what are your penny pinching tips?
Serious ones and not so serious ones.
Thank you! ?

Auntieflo Sat 06-Aug-22 13:51:05

Last year I did make a bar of soap from slivers and it was quite successful. I remember mum used to have a 'soap saver'. It was a small square wire cage on a handle. You put soap slivers in and then swished it through the water for washing up or similar.

nanna8 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:03:27

I just googled how to do this with soap and I’m going to give it a go. I have some essential oils so will add a few drops for a nice perfume.m

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 14:06:28

If you have deliveries from Ocado or Morrisons, they will give you 10p for any plastic back returned for recycling.
So every few weeks I give them all manner of plastic wrapping and get a few quid for it.

Baggytrazzas Sat 06-Aug-22 14:08:15

During lockdown and trying not to join the stockpiling army, I started to pay attention to the amount of toilet paper I used. I was automatically reeling off around 7 squares every time I used it, no matter what the actual " need " was, and multiplying this as many times as necessary.

I started reducing my usage for urination only, by paying attention to the amount reeling off and only using 3 squares at a time. It was amazing how long a roll lasted! I still do this.

Kate1949 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:10:09

I do that Shinamae. grin Cotton buds are useful for getting the very last bits of things too.

Grandmabatty Sat 06-Aug-22 14:11:55

I'm using the 15 minute wash cycle for everything. If it needs an extra spin then that's ok. It was a thread on here which suggested that.

Mollygo Sat 06-Aug-22 14:13:17

I recycle my plastic bottles at the local supermarket and get money back for doing it.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 14:14:35

Which supermarket is that Molly? thank you

Skydancer Sat 06-Aug-22 14:14:55

I ask for things on Freecycle. So far I’ve received some very nice plants including some for the pond. Also a concrete garden pond and big rockery stones. I love getting something for nothing and enjoy giving things away too.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Aug-22 14:25:36

I use primark foundation and Poundland blusher. They’re both flipping good.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 06-Aug-22 14:26:52

Oh, MawtheMerrier- such brilliant ideas!

Hithere Sat 06-Aug-22 14:30:30

Nanna8

Watch out what essential oil and which concentration you use, not all of them are ok to use in cosmetic products

For example - cinnamon is a no no
Peppermint - very small concentrations

Esspee Sat 06-Aug-22 14:32:17

I use half the usual amount of things like shampoo, conditioner and detergent. If it is insufficient (and it rarely is) I simply add a little more.
I started doing that many many years ago to cut down on pollution and must have saved a considerable amount of money as well as helping the environment.

Hithere Sat 06-Aug-22 14:32:37

A calculator here

www.eocalc.com/enter-your-own-blend/

Aldom Sat 06-Aug-22 14:35:23

MawtheMerrier

To save water I have compiled a list of “nice young men”,” with whom to share bathing.

And also to save water, brushing my teeth with chilled white wine.

What about bathing in assess milk??
That's my tip for saving water smile

Esspee Sat 06-Aug-22 14:36:18

I have also recycled my OH. Both of us were widowed. By living together we save a huge amount in council tax and utilities. I have a live in handyman and he has a live in housekeeper.

Fleurpepper Sat 06-Aug-22 14:39:19

Kate1949

I use a Maybelline foundation in a glass bottle with a pump action dispenser. When it is no longer pumping any out, I prise the top off with a knife and get many more applications!

Same with my Clinique moisturiser. So annoying that the design means most people waste large amounts.

I now use a short wash programme at 30C for every day wear- and hardly ever use a dryer.

Kate1949 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:41:38

Poundland lipsticks are great too Meryl.

ShazzaKanazza Sat 06-Aug-22 14:46:28

This is a great thread I always thought there should be a tips and life hack thread on the forum.
I love the soap one I remember piling bits of soap onto a new soap it brought back memories.

Hithere Sat 06-Aug-22 14:46:57

Ladies, let me ask you- why use makeup?

It is a very unnecessary item for daily life- based on superfluous beauty standards

Sago Sat 06-Aug-22 14:55:03

When we open champagne I have a glass ready to catch the first drops of fizz that explode out of the bottle.
We will lower the temperature on the pool now we are set for a heatwave.
Oysters not in season until next month so that’s a big saving.
From next Friday we can shoot our grouse on the moor so the “Glorious Twelth” will bring some savings too.
It’s all a blessing really Cowes,Henley and Glyndebourne cost us a fortune this year and the Bentley is not a hybrid.

Kate1949 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:56:18

Hithere. Make up is, and always has been, a necessity for me. Ok I wouldn't die without it. When I was young, make up was fun. Now I use it to hide a multitude of sins and to help with my already very low self esteem.

Mollygo Sat 06-Aug-22 15:04:33

Make up makes me feel good-reason enough for using it.
I’m thinking of cutting down on the showers and deodorant though.
Anyone fancy a meet-up?

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 06-Aug-22 15:04:58

Sago, have you any tips on how to reduce the costs of household staff?

MawtheMerrier Sat 06-Aug-22 16:04:50

I try to repurpose the butler once he is past his sell-by.
He can make a useful doorstop.