Gransnet forums

Chat

Dh just unearthed this - I thought it might amuse some of you!

(63 Posts)
Witzend Mon 08-Aug-22 12:38:16

He’s going through a mass of old photos. It was taken decades ago, when we lived in Oman and passed the shop so many times on our way to the beach.

Eventually I remembered to take a photo of it and send it to Private Eye, for their ‘I-Spy’ spot, and they used it.

More than one fellow Brit later told me that they’d seen it in Private Eye and had often meant to do the same.

Yammy Wed 10-Aug-22 14:11:59

I went to school with a girl whose initial were W.C. and another who was F. Huck, also a lad called Mouse and a girl called Kat.
Where we lived there were loads of strawberry fields with signs saying "Pick your own". I still remember DD laughing when she learned to read and a notice saying" Plant Crossing" and she wanted to know what kind.
The number plates unfortunately always phonetically spelt words often rude as well ,as an Infant teacher I always made sure mine didn't. I still know of some one known as FUN because of his.
The best was an old lady gave DH a present for me.It was made in Iran and very badly translated, it read "Very sexy and for the making of lady fun". I bet that was soon banned.

Blondiescot Wed 10-Aug-22 14:15:35

We once had a copy typist whose skills left something to be desired - the entire office was in fits of laughter when she handed me that week's recipe - spicy crap cakes!

GrandmasueUK Wed 10-Aug-22 14:22:57

I enjoyed this sign on the door to a book barn.

She777 Wed 10-Aug-22 14:34:15

We were visiting family In Palmerston North, NZ. In the centre of town was an Indian restaurant called ‘Arranged Marriage’
We kept saying that we should get a photo but forgot, I hope it’s still there when we go back.

PennyHalfpenny Wed 10-Aug-22 15:04:24

Best laugh I’ve had all week - thank you!

mauraB Wed 10-Aug-22 15:39:33

A notice in our apartment in Austria, in the early days of recycling reminded us that we were requiret to please part our trash.
So split your cans, paper, glass and toxic waste and throw it in the yard.
We took a look, that was what folk had done!

Tanjamaltija Wed 10-Aug-22 15:41:30

The Turkish market has a Facebook Page. www.facebook.com/ufukmarket/

Musicgirl Wed 10-Aug-22 15:42:14

In Singapore, there was Mr. Chew the dentist. There were also chains of clothing shops called Hang Ten. The children’s branches were called Hang Ten Kids. There was also a chain of shops called Wanko. A few years ago, they had a brand of men’s jeans called Bum; this was proclaimed in large letters on the waistband along with the message saying: “It’s a Bum experience…”

Tanjamaltija Wed 10-Aug-22 15:44:13

Arranged Marriage had been in the news... www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/117012981/palmerston-norths-arranged-marriage-indian-restaurant-burgled-twice-in-less-than-two-weeks#:~:text=An%20Indian%20restaurant%20is%20reeling%20after%20being%20hit,door%20and%20looted%20the%20restaurant%20overnight%20on%20Tuesday.

seadragon Wed 10-Aug-22 16:00:59

....and the sign on the far side of a large patch of ground in a rewilding project asking visitors not to walk on it as it "is a piece of land containing rare wild plants'. There was no other access to the sign and it was till there last time I visited....

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 16:03:05

In Germany, my sister went to get us ice creams.
Of course, we all wanted Nookies and BumBums. smile

Mizuna Wed 10-Aug-22 16:22:45

When my little grandson learnt to read he saw a recipe book called The Slow Cooker on my kitchen shelf and wanted to know what the story was about and why did the cooker move slowly. grin

missdeke Wed 10-Aug-22 16:30:31

on a holiday in Sweden I sent my son to buy a pack of toilet rolls from the local shop. He duly came back with a pack of 2 called Dubbelbums.

Esspee Wed 10-Aug-22 16:31:28

In Trinidad our pediatrician was called Dr Bratt.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 16:33:37

Soup, anyone?

Lindy56 Wed 10-Aug-22 17:12:43

Enjoyed these?

Aveline Wed 10-Aug-22 17:17:59

Yum. Ideal meal for me 'Soup for Sluts' and a nice 'Bumbum' for pudding.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 17:30:34

grin

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 17:44:53

Or, alternatively...
How about this for dessert?

Milest0ne Wed 10-Aug-22 18:18:46

A bakers I pass often has painted on the window. "Crafstmen baked on the premises". I always wonder if they are tasty

Witzend Wed 10-Aug-22 18:21:27

GrandmasueUK

I enjoyed this sign on the door to a book barn.

Ha, that reminded me of a sign outside a small shop somewhere,
‘Unaccompanied Children Will Be Sold As Slaves.’ ?

MickyD Wed 10-Aug-22 19:33:03

So funny all of them!
I once bought a pack of sausages that said ‘Thick Irish Sausages’.
Also on another pack it said ‘field bred sausages’, I didn’t know you could breed sausages ?

Witzend Wed 10-Aug-22 19:40:26

I shall tell my Gds (6) later that you can get BumBum ice cream in Germany. He will be highly amused I’m sure!

Pity he can read well enough now that it won’t be any use telling him that the vanilla ice cream in the freezer is BumBum, wot a shame.

4allweknow Wed 10-Aug-22 19:53:18

Great bit of fun.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 20:51:31

I think I know what flavour the BumBums are...