Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking for a peaceful place in November

(9 Posts)
Celia1475 Mon 08-Aug-22 12:58:46

I’m looking for ideas or offers of an escape from the noise of fireworks on and around the 5th November for myself and my dear dog.
It will need to be reasonably low cost and on the UK mainland.
Any ideas will be very welcome ?
I know I’m not the only one that dreads the ‘firework season’ and longs for the days of silver fountains and Roman candles on one night of the year; although I hated the ‘bangers’ then they were nothing compared to the dreadful barrages we get now! It is for my dog that I really need a retreat for as I’m worried she’ll have a heart attack she gets so scared ?

nanna8 Mon 08-Aug-22 14:23:06

Get out of the UK. Other countries don’t have it. It is illegal here in Australia to let off fireworks privately. Bit of a long way for a break though!

Sago Mon 08-Aug-22 15:31:28

It’s awful, I had a Labrador that hated the fireworks, unfortunately it goes on for days and days now!
This year it is on a Saturday so you may find it’s contained over the weekend.
I would look around the North York Moors, Northumberland or Wales.

JaneJudge Mon 08-Aug-22 15:36:28

I fancy this place

spotinthewoods.co.uk/

Casdon Mon 08-Aug-22 15:36:46

A remote location is your best bet, an isolated cottage on the moors. I wouldn’t recommend Wales unless you’re very remote, even tiny villages have bonfire parties here, any excuse for a lively evening - I’m sure it’s the same everywhere, it’s a chance to take the children out on a grim winter’s evening.

Sago Mon 08-Aug-22 15:52:07

I have taken a screen shot from a Telegraph article, it shows the 11 most remote holiday let’s in the UK.
Always do a Google earth/maps search as one persons idea of remote may not be another’s.

MayBee70 Mon 08-Aug-22 17:51:16

The trouble is it isn’t just one night or even week. It goes on for weeks.

Spice101 Tue 09-Aug-22 04:28:22

nanna8

Get out of the UK. Other countries don’t have it. It is illegal here in Australia to let off fireworks privately. Bit of a long way for a break though!

We still get plenty going off though. It is not illegal in all places - NT for example so fireworks are able to be bought by private citizens and they let them off at random times albeit usually around the expected times of Christmas, NY, Australia Day but not always.

It is horrendous for so many animals, domestic and wild.

FannyCornforth Tue 09-Aug-22 04:59:29

JaneJudge

I fancy this place

spotinthewoods.co.uk/

Jane completely off topic.
That dog in the jumper on the website is a Tibetan Spaniel (apologies of you already know, but they are quite rare). They are the most amazing dogs. Our first dog Lily was a Tibbie, and Gracie’s dad is a Tibbie.

Back on topic, yes, it’s absolutely bloody awful.
I can’t believe that it’s still legal to buy and set off explosives.
Some shops have stricter rules about liqueur chocolates