Gransnet forums

Chat

Relocation

(14 Posts)
Littleover Mon 08-Aug-22 20:55:26

Does any one have any suggestions as to where a multigenerational family could move to.

We need good access to transport ie very good bus services

Access to health care

Access to countryside walks

A friendly community

Things for teens to do

Mainly considering west of the country

Thank you all

Chewbacca Mon 08-Aug-22 21:00:35

If good bus services are especially important, you'd be best avoiding small towns or villages; public transport has been cut to almost non existent in most places. Is it NW England or SW England you'd prefer?

MiniMoon Mon 08-Aug-22 21:07:20

If it's NW England you want to relocate to, how about somewhere like Lancaster. Handy for the South Lakes and Manchester.

kittylester Mon 08-Aug-22 21:30:11

I lived in Littleover till I was 20.

Littleover Tue 09-Aug-22 20:16:55

Thank you for your messages. We would prefer the south west of England and we had considered Bridport but ruled this out reluctantly as there appears to be limited public transport.
We had thought of a market town near a city where buses would be frequent.

RichmondPark1 Tue 09-Aug-22 20:54:05

Perhaps have a look at Portishead. I think it has everything on your list. A wide age range of people making up a fantastic really friendly community, various youth groups, arts groups, clubs for every hobby, churches, Window Wonderland, incredible Christmas lights, a lido, sports facilities, nature reserve, lovely marina, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, good schools, and frequent buses to Bristol. No trains though.

geekesse Wed 10-Aug-22 00:09:45

Sheffield. From parts of the city, you can walk into the Peak District, and it has everything on your list. It’s also way cheaper than your preferred south of England.

Littleover Fri 12-Aug-22 21:40:18

Can anyone tell me what it’s like living in ware ham dorset

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Aug-22 21:50:54

I’d look at Bournemouth, Poole, Salisbury or Winchester.

avitorl Fri 12-Aug-22 21:51:23

I live quite near Wareham and I think it is a lovely area.Very near Swanage and not far from Poole. The bus service is very good and Wareham also has a train service.

BigBertha1 Fri 12-Aug-22 22:45:12

My brother lives near Bridport and never goes out his wife is paranoid about visitors bringing Covid in. She is nuts and we avoid het.

avitorl Sat 13-Aug-22 13:03:28

Bournemouth and Poole are very urban and built up.I moved here for work reasons from a semi rural area in the NW and it felt like a real culture shock.
I would definitely have felt more at home living in a quieter area of Dorset.

Lathyrus Sat 13-Aug-22 13:56:26

Littleover

Can anyone tell me what it’s like living in ware ham dorset

Cliquey.

But there are several different cliques so you might find one that suits you?

Nannytopsy Sat 13-Aug-22 14:05:17

Sis I L lives in Corte Mullen. The traffic in the whole area is awful and we avoid visiting in the summer, school holidays, weekends …