Gransnet forums

Chat

January 2020-what were we thinking?

(12 Posts)
geekesse Tue 09-Aug-22 12:34:18

I have been reflecting on how things have changed since before Covid, and I came across this on GN from January 2020:

Why is there such a lot of concern about a virus which has killed 26 people out of many, many millions and which is said to be similar to flu? I cannot imagine Britain even considering locking down a city or airport in these circumstances.

I wonder… did GN posters in general foresee the scale of change Covid19 might cause, or did they underestimate the effect of the virus?

Smileless2012 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:06:08

Well I didn't geekesse and never imagined it was still something to cause concern and disruption 2.5 years later.

VioletSky Tue 09-Aug-22 13:14:07

I was due to fly to visit my Dad, we talked about it a lot as we were both concerned. We eventually cancelled and then lock down happened.

Both of us had seen hints of information coming out of China that things were much worse than they claimed. Both of us saw the lockdown coming.

ExDancer Tue 09-Aug-22 13:14:39

But people were dying by the thousand - no vaccine, no known treatment, it was pretty terrifying. I think we did the only thing we could at that time

Kate1949 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:42:08

I can remember watching the news and seeing people in Italy singing on their balconies as they were in lockdown. I remember thinking how awful it was. It never occurred to me that it would come here. How naive.

farview Tue 09-Aug-22 13:42:26

I was in Dubai Jan 2020..for the birth of my daughters second baby...we watched the news re China and then horrendous footage from Italy..I left on February 12th...lots of masks being worn in the airport...still wasnt really taking in how serious it was...said see you in April to my daughter and family....and then Wham!!!...lockdown, fear....life as we all knew it disappeared...didn't see my Dubai family until August 2021....should have also been going to son in Oz ....but wasn't possible....I would hate for any of us to have to go through those times again...

Septimia Tue 09-Aug-22 13:43:14

We met DS and family in York that February, shortly after the two first cases in the UK were found there. At the time we were more worried about the floods than the virus. There was little information at the time and the seriousness of the situation only emerged over the next few weeks.

Aveline Tue 09-Aug-22 13:47:52

I remember being told of the first lockdown and that it would be for three weeks. I remember saying, 'Three weeks?! Don't be ridiculous!'. Little did I know sad

Millie22 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:56:51

I remember wishing they would stop talking about a virus on the news everyday. It was really boring!!

And why were people starting to wear masks. It would never amount to anything.

It's a good thing we didn't know what was to happen just a few weeks later.

geekesse Tue 09-Aug-22 14:22:59

In January, I started teaching my students how to use Teams and put all their resources online. My colleagues told me I was doom-mongering, and I was strongly advised by bosses to stop catastrophising. When lockdown came, I was ready for it. They weren’t.

AGAA4 Tue 09-Aug-22 14:43:03

I remember the first inkling of what was to come. I was reading a newspaper in Costa saying over 70s were advised to stay at home. Some friends just laughed and said just as if we would do that. Little did we know.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Aug-22 14:47:54

First few days of February I ordered N95 and FFP2 masks for all the members of my family who would "let" me. Some thought I was mad but actually I didn't care.