Gransnet forums

Chat

Using things for a purpose other than for the intended purpose for which they were sold

(156 Posts)
StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 17:42:06

Using things for a purpose other than for the intended purpose for which they were sold

For example. A supermarket sells growing herb plants in the fresh vegetables section. Intended purpose is pull off the leaves and use them in cooking. Actual use, houseplant, no leaves ever removed.

A double example. An online business advertises printing a custom greetings card from an uploaded photograph file and sending it to a recipient. A supermarket sells photograph frames. Actual use, print of a card from an uploaded file of artwork produced on a home computer, sent to the customer, framed by the customer.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Sep-22 15:08:24

Teaspoons are good for transplanting seedlings.

For plant containers made out of unusual objects we need look no further than the other night's Gardeners' World and the alleyway garden.

Jaxjacky Sun 04-Sep-22 15:01:49

I use a metal potato masher to tamp down pots with soil in for seeds and seedlings and the kitchen one to tamp down cheesecake base in the tin.

Fleurpepper Sun 04-Sep-22 14:59:42

Been decorating, and the back of a spoon used daily to open paint tins. And large weights for my old fashioned scales to hold down bits I had to repair and glue.

DaisyAnne Sun 04-Sep-22 14:02:28

This should become a sticky thread. So many clever ideas.

On the reaching one, I use a slice. Most things on the top shelves are in boxes. It slides under nicely, and then I can pull the box (think tea, etc.) forward, ensuring it doesn't land on my head as it drops.

I use an Ikea expanding leg (the table now has three expanding and one not, so I will have to grab the leg back if I want a higher table). The leg expands to fit in the bottom of the non-sliding French door and stops the sliding door from opening. You are pushing against the leg. You can buy security bars to do this, but I like "free".

I've added a picture of this one; I can't describe it. These are tea towel holders. They make excellent zip jacks if you use 'zip on a roll' and need to add the zip pulls.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Sep-22 14:00:02

My egg and cheese slicers went from my mum, to my daughter, to me.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Sep-22 13:32:50

My MIL loved Betterware.

In fact, I have some of her gadgets which I still use. The jar opener is very good.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Sep-22 13:23:04

My mum bought stuff from the Betterware catalogue, because she felt for whoever was selling it.
We often got things that we had no idea how to use, or what for.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Sep-22 13:19:33

Oh, I may have bought it in Finland along with an excellent potato peeler when we visited Fiskars.
The potato peeler may have gone out with the peelings or could have run away with the apple corer. Both are missing sad

annsixty Sun 04-Sep-22 13:17:27

Also late to the thread.
Since my H died I no longer buy wine by the case so a wine rack I don’t need now makes a very useful shoe rack in the corner of the bedroom.
Holds lots of pairs.

Witzend Sun 04-Sep-22 13:15:04

Callistemon21

I've got a cheese slicer, very nifty, had it years but I can't remember where I bought it. Probably TK Maxx. I haven't used it for slicing anything else though so it has no place on this thread!

I have one, given by a Swedish friend - much more of a thing in Sweden from what I’ve seen there - very thin slices shaved off a block.
TBH I’ve very rarely used it.

welbeck Sun 04-Sep-22 12:16:58

puppy training pads from poundstretcher, B&M, are a lot cheaper than expensive items from boots, for inco pads on beds, seats, or for any discharge.

Witzend Sun 04-Sep-22 11:59:21

Not exactly different, but later used for something we’d never imagined at the time.
Bought well over 30 years ago, a very simple double sofa bed, no arms, folds down instantly, bought for a spare room that wasn’t big enough for a double bed and dh’s desk. Used only very rarely when we had a real houseful, since we had other room for guests.

That is, until we had Gdcs coming to stay - and I was 67 by the time the first arrived. By the time 1 and 2 were 2 and 3 (now 6 and 7) it was perfect for them to share - very low, so no danger even if they did fall out.
Used so much in recent years!

MissAdventure Thu 01-Sep-22 15:19:18

I had a cheese slicer, and an egg slicer.
Then a boy moved in, and that was the end of them. (The slicers, not the boy)

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Sep-22 15:14:36

I've got a cheese slicer, very nifty, had it years but I can't remember where I bought it. Probably TK Maxx. I haven't used it for slicing anything else though so it has no place on this thread!

MissAdventure Thu 01-Sep-22 14:22:00

My daughter and I put together countless things, including bunk beds using a potato peeler (and lots of swearing)

Juliet27 Thu 01-Sep-22 14:05:30

VioletSky

Potato peeler to slice cheese

I do that too.

nanna8 Thu 01-Sep-22 14:00:40

A friend told me to use deodorant sticks on itchy insect bites rather than aero guard or whatever you use from the chemist and that works. Cheaper too.

Grantanow Thu 01-Sep-22 13:51:25

I use the same fishing tackle box as Georgiejg for my watercolour paints.

Grantanow Tue 30-Aug-22 12:55:38

An old lace tablecloth which we repurposed for lace curtains.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Aug-22 12:24:07

Craig - I don't think many of us would use Damascus steel to do paint jobs or even jobs round the garden ... but maybe Allsorts' gutting knife (with presumably a curved blade) is particularly useful. It may not be an expensive hand-forged knife.
OR it may be a hand-me-down knife that reminds her of someone and is re-purposed for "old times sake"

We have an old curved Opinel garlic knife that's useful for all sorts of things it wasn't intended for - both in the house and the garden.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Aug-22 12:12:52

We do this too pearl

Caleo Tue 30-Aug-22 12:01:31

Wash rubber gloves frequently for your health's sake . You simply turn them inside out, wash, rinse, hang to dry, then turn them the inside in.

Caleo Tue 30-Aug-22 11:59:26

Using rivers as sewage dumps.

CraigJenner Tue 30-Aug-22 11:29:41

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CraigJenner Tue 30-Aug-22 11:27:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.