Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you going abroad this year ?

(145 Posts)
Dizza25 Wed 10-Aug-22 22:53:46

Just wondering.

We had plans to, but an operation means it’s a no no until next year.

Looking at a holiday in Cyprus and it’s £250 pp more than 3 years ago in the same hotel at the same time for one week.

Looking at the UK instead but it’s still pricey!!!

Maybe cancel plans altogether and spend it on energy!!!!

Karalou51 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:18:38

Take a holiday! There are other ways than flying. I'm 70 and off to Italy in October with not an Airport in sight. I want to see fields and sea, un-stressed people, so doing the whole thing by coach and train. I'll get my return tickets when I'm ready to come home. I have four grown children with families of their own. My youngest son was the only one who was horrified but he's over that now. My oldest Grandson gave me the money to start me off so I've been very lucky. But we're not getting any younger so do things while you can. Be brave - but careful too!

GrannyGear Sat 13-Aug-22 14:17:35

Are you mad?
Train strikes, cost of petrol astronomical, traffic jams and holdups on the motorways, not to mention queues at the airports. Why should anyone want to go abroad for the sun - we've got our very own heatwave right here!

Secondwind Sat 13-Aug-22 14:17:06

Not this year - we had to cancel because of the wretched virus. We’ve rebooked for next year, so fingers crossed!
I was looking at cottages in Devon earlier during the summer holidays next year and the prices in some instances are eye-watering shock

leeds22 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:12:23

Our first post covid holiday was this June, cruising from Newcastle to the far north of Norway. Check in at Newcastle port very straightforward and we never had to show our passport again until we got back to Newcastle. Off to Amsterdam from Newcastle in September, on the overnight ferry and then our first flight since Christmas 2019 in October to Portugal, from Leeds Bradford.

SporeRB Sat 13-Aug-22 14:11:03

Yes. Travelling to Singapore and staying there for 2 months to visit friends, family and my dad’s hometown in Malaysia. My daughter and her partner will join us in Singapore before travelling to Ubud, Bali.

From Singapore, we will make a short journey by ferry to a nearby Indonesian island and stay at a beach resort for a week.

Might even book another beach resort off the coast of Malaysia also accessible by ferry but have to see whether DH is up for it.

pen50 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:01:40

We were going on a Baltic cruise. Putin sank it ☹️.

PollyDolly Sat 13-Aug-22 14:01:03

Nooooooooo! Just had even more surgery and sitting on an aeroplane is not on my wish list just now. Long haul would be out of the question anyway and why go abroad when we have the current heatwave?

I did undertake an excursion to the greenhouse to check on some cauliflower and cabbage seedlings and I walked across the back garden to chat to my lovely neighbour.
Does this count as a holiday?

4allweknow Sat 13-Aug-22 13:57:36

Used to holiday abroad a lot up until 2018. Decided then I'd had enough of the public at airports, on planes and in hotels in general. Even only yesterday awaiting an internal flight (40 min) delay there were hen groups dancing about the airport, stags seemed quiet, children screaming before and during the flight. Definitely not what I enjoy as part of a holiday.

Joseanne Sat 13-Aug-22 13:56:40

That sort of holiday really appeals to me more now grannycakes especially as our new dog is going through the vaccination process in readiness to travel. Can I ask where do you find the best dog friendly places to stop? Do you contact the local mairies to find out when dogs are allowed on the beach and such like? And does your dog stay in the motorhome during the crossing? Ours is a bit too large to conceal!
I can swap you tips on Brittany any time. We are here in an apartment until mid September, dog remaining happily at home with his sister.

kevincharley Sat 13-Aug-22 13:55:10

Flew out to Corsica in June for a couple of weeks but we have dogs and enjoy taking them with us so our other holidays have been Cornwall in April then we have a week in Scotland booked later.
We're doing as much as we can while we're able. I'm severely curtailed as my long covid prevents a lot which is frustrating, But while we can drive we'll be touring as much as we can.
You're a long time dead.

Rosalyn69 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:52:17

We have been twice this year with no problems at all. We are booked for Madeira in November. I love my holidays.

Treetops05 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:35:23

No, we care for my FinL and have a 9 year old dog, so we never go anywhere together, but I've started having the occasional holiday in a cottage with my sister

grannycakes Sat 13-Aug-22 13:34:42

We retired this year and have saved a pot of money for travel - we already have a motorhome. We spent 6 weeks touring through France to the Pyrenees and then back up through the Dordogne and onto Belgium and finally a week i the Netherlands staying with friends - our dog also came with us. It was a little too hot for a week or so but otherwise great.

Cost wise the above cost less per day than a trip to Scotland did last year

Off to brittany for 5 weeks at the start of September

westendgirl Sat 13-Aug-22 13:20:17

Thank you Jane43

JennyCee Sat 13-Aug-22 13:12:49

I can’t afford holidays, pensioners who don’t have private pensions can’t even think about it. Not our fault our then employers didn’t “do” pensions

bevisp1 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:08:03

No holiday abroad since 2019 but going to Canada in 2 wks time, for holiday and son’s wedding…

Fernhillnana Sat 13-Aug-22 12:57:28

Just had a forecast bill of£7189 for the year’s energy. Don’t think we will be going anywhere.

Jennyluck Sat 13-Aug-22 12:54:59

I’m a bit like annsixty, my oh has dementia and the thought of going abroad fills me with dread. Ive cancelled a holiday to Spain, which was originally booked for 2020, but got changed to 2021, then 2022. I’ve ended up loosing the booking fee of £400.
So I think for the time being, I won’t be going away.

Madmother21 Sat 13-Aug-22 12:49:38

A few short breaks around the U.K. and a week in Corfu. Got a cruise booked in October which encompasses Israel.. looking forward to it!

Justhavingacuppa Sat 13-Aug-22 12:37:27

Yes we are. We love our holidays and are back to normal this year thank goodness. Have been to Amsterdam and Sardinia this year already and will be going to Cyprus for 2 weeks in September.

CBBL Sat 13-Aug-22 12:31:52

I haven't been abroad since 2016. My husband's disabilities mean that most hotels and self catering are just not suitable. He cannot manage steps, but is not a wheelchair user - and a disabled room is unsuitable because everything is too low. He can't bend very much and struggles to stand up and sit down, so needs high beds and chairs.

Jane43 Sat 13-Aug-22 12:26:22

westendgirl

Wouldlove to go ,but cost of travel insurance is almost prohibitive.
Does anyone have a good company for an 84 year old ,. I really would welcome some advice.

We are planning a holiday in the USA year and I have just started looking at costs. We will be 79 when we go and DH now has Type 2 Diabetes and Atrial Fibrillation to be declared. I did a search with Money Supermarket and the cheapest quote was £778 for the two of us. Then I looked at Columbus Direct who we have used in the past, they have three categories of insurance _ bronze, silver and gold and the bronze came out at about £475 for the two of us, without the medical conditions it was about £340. They are a reputable company and when we cancelled our last holiday to California due to COVID they refunded us the cost of the policy in full. I was unfortunate enough to be hospitalized for 10 days in the USA in 2005 and they paid all expenses apart from the excess. You can get a quote online and I do recommend them.

MaggsMcG Sat 13-Aug-22 12:24:38

I'm off on a cruise in November. My daughter booked it last year but didn't tell me til my 70th in April. Caribbean figure of 8, 14 days flying to and from Jamaica. ? I'm covering 3 of my bucket list in one go. 1. Cruise, 2. long haul (somewhere I've not been) 3. different countries.

Twig14 Sat 13-Aug-22 12:19:34

Flew back from Nantes then Paris.
On arrival at Manchester just one person informing a full load of passengers no luggage was on board now three weeks later I’m still waiting for it to be returned. Absolute chaos.

TerriBull Sat 13-Aug-22 12:13:58

I chatted to a girl serving me in one of the duty free shops, on the way out, she did mention the media crank up horror stories, on the other hand she did say so many were laid off during the pandemic and the recruitment of new staff is a long drawn out process considering how many are needed in the various aspects of the day to day running of airports.