Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you awake / hot? ?

(88 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 01:48:27

I am.

My bedroom has returned to its sauna like temperatures, despite me having two fans facing me…

I’ve done Wordle, got the radio on and taken some painkillers in the hope that they might help matters.

I might have to get up and eat something…

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Aug-22 13:13:05

Oh my goodness pink! How scary! Whereabouts are you?

pinkjj27 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:27:34

I know you posted that last Thursday and it is now Monday but I have been up all night, it was too hot to sleep, I was doing house work at 2 am that had been too hot to do in the day. I looked out my window to see a big fire in a home across the road no one is hurt , Never went to bed first nor last .

MiniMoon Mon 15-Aug-22 11:23:13

I was awake until after 2:30am. Consequently I have only been up for an hour. I still have night sweats and its uncomfortable enough on a cool night, but it's horrible in the heat.

Ohnoyoudont Mon 15-Aug-22 10:45:42

I've been sitting outside at stupid o'clock as it was only way for me to cool down. This heat is not good for my restless legs syndrome. ?

MissAdventure Sun 14-Aug-22 21:43:18

Iceland sell jubblies, but the flavours seem very watery these days.

Garden14nan Sun 14-Aug-22 21:03:57

Ooooo yes a jubley, blast from the past ??

karmalady Sun 14-Aug-22 20:15:52

a fan will cool if you place a bowl of ice cubes in front of it or freeze a bottle of water and do that

karmalady Sun 14-Aug-22 20:04:23

fans work best if they are in front of an open window or door, as long as outside is cooler than in.

humidifier works very well to cool or try a wet/damp t towel on a rack in front of a fan. I use a humidifier all day at the moment

re dyson fans, absolutely brilliant and safe fans. I have a pedestal and a desk fan but of course any fan will just push the air around. They need to be used intelligently and in the right circumstances

Lesley60 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:52:34

I went out the garden last night and tried to go to sleep on a sun lounger but the noises of the wildlife gave me the eebee jeebys so went back to bed pretty quick

Silverlady333 Sun 14-Aug-22 15:42:34

No I slept in the nude but I always do (except in winter I might wear a pair of fluffy socks). We had the fan on and I put a folded wet but wrung out flannel around the back of my neck and slept all night!

LadyStardust Sun 14-Aug-22 15:32:42

I struggle at the best of times to keep cool on a night and stay asleep. I started freezing a small amount of water in a hot water bottle and having my Meaco fan on low. Weirdly, I seem to be sleeping better recently! My dog sleeps soundly on a damp towel.

Bluedaisy Sun 14-Aug-22 15:25:40

I’ve got fans and even a Dyson fan (don’t waste your money) but have found all they do is force hot ? air around the room so on my brothers recommendation who lives in Florida and puts in air con I’ve bought an Orcan cool unit….. bliss so much better. It’s portable and only uses up about 12’’ x 12’’ floor space. It comes with 2 freezer packs and I am using a 2 litre empty lemonade bottle filled with water and kept in fridge to keep emptying into the box so that’s cool too. It costs around £165 it’s worth it’s weight in gold, we’ve had it on night and day since this heat started. I’m going to get another one next year to keep in the bedroom upstairs so we don’t have to continue to lug it up and down stairs every night. It’s definitely helping us sleep better and humidifies the room so we’re not blocked up now either. They sell them on Amazon or just Google it.

Ladyinspain Sun 14-Aug-22 14:26:16

Ive lived in Spain for 33 years, - End of May - end of September is HOT HOTHOT!! I love Feb- May, and September until Dec! No heating bills then, as the temperatures are just perfect- not hot and not cold !

rosekearsey Sun 14-Aug-22 14:23:50

Hi there - can’t sleep as too hot and wheezy- two days post operative ( right hip replacement) and home. Feel very sick as my spinal block didn’t work after 3+ attempts so had anaesthetic that was unplanned. Due to my hiatus hernia repair can’t be sick just endless nausea. Sorry for the moan ! Nice to know you’re out there girls xxx

WendyBT Sun 14-Aug-22 14:01:18

I slept for nearly eight hours. Cotton nightie, no covers at all,
windows open. Radio 4 on - but of course I didn't hear much of it.
For some reason I do tend to sleep well on hot nights but then I'm a normally chilly person.

holcombemummy60 Sun 14-Aug-22 13:56:06

Woke up at 4am and got up and the ironing before it got to hot but still melted

Duvetdiva Sun 14-Aug-22 13:29:11

MissAdventure

It doesn't even look like a hand!

At first glance I thought it was the full moon!

Joking apart you have my sympathy

karmalady Sun 14-Aug-22 12:37:20

I have lots of jackdaws here, cheeky bu**ers at your window georgesgran and the crows, oh so noisy when they settle for the night

Anyway, like most people, I am feeling sleep-deprived. I am always energetic but have zilch right now and am hopping from meal to meal. I am finding that my humidifier is so much better for me than the fan. Humidity has been far too low for the mucous membranes and eyes.

The air from the humidifier is far nicer than from the fan. I do use the fans, in the evening when my weather station tells me outside is cooler than inside and then the back of the fan is in front of an open window or door

I am in my cave right now, west glass all covered from the sun right now and am starting to cover east glass as the sun is creeping around. Trouble is that the glass behind the blinds and shutters retains the heat for quite a long time

PollyDolly Sun 14-Aug-22 12:32:06

I was awake from 4am, only cat-napped from then until OH woke at 7.15 and now I am flagging! Simply cannot keep my eyes open despite drinking plenty of water and the odd cup of coffee.
Perhaps I should surrender and have a proper snooze.

sodapop Sun 14-Aug-22 12:31:52

Thunderstorm here last night and some rain. It's a bit cooler today thank goodness. I will have to get round to some of the jobs I've been putting off because it was too hot.

Jaxjacky Sun 14-Aug-22 12:26:23

I bought some of these last week, stay cool round my neck for over 4 hours, then rinse in cold water, ring out and use again, great in this sultry south of England.

Supergranuation Sun 14-Aug-22 12:22:00

Fanny, try taking your painkillers after you eat, helps them to stay in your system it seems or they go straight through before they get time to work. Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight ?

Pythagorus Sun 14-Aug-22 12:20:02

When it’s so hot and sleep eludes me, I get up and have a very cool shower. Then go back to bed and get off to sleep!

mernice Sun 14-Aug-22 12:19:01

I’ve bought a Meaco fan. It’s absolutely a game changer in this heat I heartily recommend .

Modompodom Sun 14-Aug-22 12:18:25

I close all my windows, blinds, and heavy curtains from about 9 or 10am, until 5pm at the earliest. No shade in the garden as it gets the sun all day. At the mo the temperature is 31°, but I am comfortable without turning on the fan. I am in London.