Gransnet forums

Chat

Win a Million Pound House

(34 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 12:00:01

What do you make of those draws to win a luxury house, with added cars and cash prizes?

At my age I could sell up and relocate to Cornwall (where the current house is sited) I suppose; but younger families can't just upticks and move to the Lake District, or the Cotswolds or wherever the prize is, and running houses like these as second homes is going to cost a lot of money. I'm not sure that I want to move away from friends and family though - without a job to go to or contacts in the area, starting again would be difficult.

Do you enter the draws, and if so, what would you do if you won? The ads say that you can sell them or rent them out if you don't want to live in them, but that's another responsibility I'm not sure I want. The houses do look lovely though.

oliversnana Sat 13-Aug-22 17:01:07

Someone half an hour away from us has won one.
It's your choice whether you keep it sell it or rent it. Nice dilemma I think

Shinamae Sat 13-Aug-22 15:25:01

The one I really liked was just outside Ilfracombe in Combe Martin… but still had bloody great Windows!!

Kim19 Sat 13-Aug-22 11:36:28

My plan 'is' to sell immediately!

Mapleleaf Sat 13-Aug-22 10:26:47

I’ve seen the ads, but never entered. Such huge, glass fronted houses hold no appeal for me. They look anything but cosy. As Blinko says, all that glass in these high temperatures must be a nightmare unless they are treated in some way? Also, how do you protect your furnishings from fading in the bright sunlight, unless they can be fitted with some sort of blinds, which defeats the purpose of picture windows, I suppose?

Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 10:09:20

The ad for the current prize in Kent is coming up on this site. Out of curiosity, I had a look and it seems there’s an additional £50K to help out the winner with household bills/council tax whilst they decide if they want to keep it or sell.

AreWeThereYet Fri 12-Aug-22 16:12:29

I have seen a few of the ads but we record stuff so I'm never quite sure whether ads current or not. They're expensive prizes so I hope the charities see something out of it.

I've always thought I would just sell the house or car and use the proceeds to build the house I want in the place I want.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 12-Aug-22 16:11:40

There are some comments on our sister site MN about these - apparently some of the houses are difficult to sell due to past problems like flooding, so not easily mortgageable or difficulties with insurance.

Although it would seem wonderful to win I wonder what would happen if you tried to sell but couldn't find a buyer - could it become a millstone round your neck? I believe the first years living costs are included - but then what?

These things seem great in theory ... but I think I'll stick with my little house. Despite its shortcomings, it's home.

Georgesgran Fri 12-Aug-22 16:04:44

The ads are on tv quite often, especially coming to the end of each competition and often feature a ‘celebrity’ comment at the end. I think the current house to win is in Kent and being endorsed by Mylene Klass.

Hellogirl1 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:44:42

BlueBell, the ads are on normal TV, I don`t have Sky.

NotAGran55 Fri 12-Aug-22 13:41:52

BlueBelle

I ve never seen these adverts like you Notagran
Not on my TV anyway maybe they re on Sky or something I haven’t got

I don’t watch TV adverts except the Christmas Specials, hence they have passed me by. Thank you Lemsip

Ohmother Fri 12-Aug-22 12:30:31

I guess I couldn’t keep it on as wouldn’t be able to afford the rates, insurance etc. it would be a bit of a hot potato to get rid and use the money elsewhere.

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-22 12:11:25

I ve never seen these adverts like you Notagran
Not on my TV anyway maybe they re on Sky or something I haven’t got

Spinnaker Fri 12-Aug-22 12:08:03

I see the Cornwall prize has been won. Oh well, better luck next time grin

FannyCornforth Fri 12-Aug-22 12:04:06

I entered the one for the Lake District house. The charity was an Alzheimer’s one. I paid £50.
I haven’t seen another house / location that I like as much (not that they are to be sniffed at!)
Also, I’m quite picky about which charities I support.
If I’d won, my plan was for me, DH, my dad and his wife to live together, happily ever after.
I would also have acquired more animals to live with us.
I had it all sussed out!

Mine Fri 12-Aug-22 11:41:48

Good point WHIFF....How are you supposed to afford the upkeep of this massive house and if like me you live 500 miles away you would have to re locate to where the house is....I think these issues could put people off entering the draw

Witzend Fri 12-Aug-22 11:12:58

Unless it was somewhere I particularly wanted to move to (unlikely, since at the mo I don’t want to move at all) I’d just sell it. And pass most of the loot to dds.

LauraNorderr Thu 11-Aug-22 22:50:53

I don’t buy tickets for the Omaze homes but if I did and I won, I’d sell it and buy a nice cottage for Orlin and me and share the change with our family.

LauraNorderr Thu 11-Aug-22 22:47:59

When we lived in Queensland in the 70s there was a monthly draw for a home, usually in a nice suburb around Brisbane and always just a bit special but not opulent. Families would be able to live happily in these homes. The money raised through ticket sales, and it was considerable, paid for the public health system. There were tiers of healthcare, those who could afford paid for private care at various levels and the less well off were treated free thanks to the glamorous homes.

25Avalon Thu 11-Aug-22 22:33:20

One in the Cotswolds was next to a small stream which in bad weather turns into a raging torrent and floods into the house. I do wonder if there are catches with the others.

Whiff Thu 11-Aug-22 22:31:04

These people who win these houses how can they afford to live in the. The council tax alone must be astronomical same with water and energy bills. You need to be a millionaire just for the bills .

JenniferEccles Thu 11-Aug-22 22:25:45

It’s like the two one million pounds Premium Bonds winners each month.
It’s surprising how many of the top prize winners only have a total holding of a few hundred pounds, or even less.
It’s so unfair isn’t it? ?

I’ve never entered the win a home competitions, but if I did and won I would either sell, or look into the feasibility of renting it out, at least initially.

Shinamae Thu 11-Aug-22 22:04:25

Doodledog

You should find them if you google Omaze house draw or similar. I'd post a link but it might seem like advertising.

That's a good point, Blinko. I suppose you could have them polarised, otherwise I'd have the blinds closed all day and miss the view!

I wonder whether the winners usually have lots of tickets, lemsip? It's a lot to spend on long odds of winning, but it would be a great prize.

One of the winners a little while ago had only spent £10 on tickets ?

Deedaa Thu 11-Aug-22 21:54:01

I've entered the Cornwall one because it's in aid of the Blood Cancer charity. If I won it would go straight on the market. It's far too near Padstein and Islington on Sea- or Rock if you prefer to call it that. Not that good looking a house either. I was rather tempted by the one they had in Ascot because it was only about 20 minutes from me and would have been no trouble to move my stuff into.

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 21:46:45

You should find them if you google Omaze house draw or similar. I'd post a link but it might seem like advertising.

That's a good point, Blinko. I suppose you could have them polarised, otherwise I'd have the blinds closed all day and miss the view!

I wonder whether the winners usually have lots of tickets, lemsip? It's a lot to spend on long odds of winning, but it would be a great prize.

lemsip Thu 11-Aug-22 21:39:33

the ads for the comp are on tv then you go online to the site.