Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a thing now in impoverished Britain

(140 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:31:11

I’m sitting on my patio just thinking about how dull the slabs are.
The Times has come to my rescue. Outdoor rugs!! Who knew they were a thing? The one I like is only £640.78. I don’t think it’s big enough though, I’ll have to have 2.

janipans Tue 16-Aug-22 09:59:28

Many outdoor rugs, I see, are made from recycled materials so help to reduce landfill. As I see it it's no different to buying garden chairs/furniture or cushions. Gardens are treated as additional living space these days - especially after Covid - and being outdoors is good for us, so if you can afford it, why not make your garden comfortable and pretty? (Makes up for the brown dessert which used to be a lawn!)

Joseanne Tue 16-Aug-22 08:56:46

Hasn't the whole outdoor living thing come about from covid and the al fresco gatherings we were allowed, or not? I remember in 2020 all the garden furniture and accessories flying off the shelves as people tried to find a little oasis outside the realms of their working from home base. Some of the ideas were innovative and just took outdoor living into a new enjoyable phase which has stuck.

MerylStreep Tue 16-Aug-22 08:16:17

grannyrebel7

My neighbours have one and a hot tub, an egg chair and two outdoor seating areas. Whatever happened to grass and flowers?

If they are anything like my lovely neighbours next door: they simply don’t have the time. She is a full time nurse. Out at 7 home at 5.30.
He goes out at 6.30, home at 6.
2 young children.
Prior to them having their plastic garden they were always apologising for their garden.

Nantotwo Tue 16-Aug-22 08:05:30

JenniferEccles

Whatever you do don’t talk about hosing down an outdoor rug or mat or you will get vilified by some as happened on another thread !

I would imagine the more expensive ones would be a better proposition.

Yes, I immediately thought of 'Hosegate' too.

grannyrebel7 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:56:04

My neighbours have one and a hot tub, an egg chair and two outdoor seating areas. Whatever happened to grass and flowers?

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:50:12

win

This is a very judgemental forum to say the least. I thought the idea was to support each other. The world over there are rich and people who struggle to buy necessities, are you seriously suggesting they ones who CAN AFFORD TO BUY LUXURIES STOP BUYING. How ludicrous is that, they have earned their money or perhaps inherited it, whichever, it is their's to do what they wish with it. These comments are sheer jealousy.

They keep others in jobs.

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:49:04

Theoddbird

I live on a narrow boat. The thought of a carpet on my jetty made me fall off of my chair laughing ?

Oh, go on, do it!!
Photos please ?

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:47:51

We need to remember that in the past a third of the population, those on lowest incomes, looked to the council to provide a decent house and life long tenancy

My DM told me that years ago, pre-WW2, my parents got a mortgage from the Council which helped them to buy their first home.
I'm sure my DB and SIL had a mortgage from their Council too, probably in the 1960s, to buy the house they still live in (since extended and modernised).

It might seem to be a good investment for Councils rather than some of the dodgy investments some Councils have made over the past few years.

Theoddbird Mon 15-Aug-22 19:41:05

I live on a narrow boat. The thought of a carpet on my jetty made me fall off of my chair laughing ?

Caleo Mon 15-Aug-22 18:54:51

Leaving garden upholstery outdoors all winter can work very well. I have a gazebo with a roof on it and extra bamboo screening on three sides. I keep a thin mattress and cushions out there in all weathers. I think the present cushions have been out there for three years. When they do become damp they dry quickly and thoroughly due to the seat made of wooden planks, and the continuous air flow.

Norah Mon 15-Aug-22 17:55:11

win

This is a very judgemental forum to say the least. I thought the idea was to support each other. The world over there are rich and people who struggle to buy necessities, are you seriously suggesting they ones who CAN AFFORD TO BUY LUXURIES STOP BUYING. How ludicrous is that, they have earned their money or perhaps inherited it, whichever, it is their's to do what they wish with it. These comments are sheer jealousy.

Indeed.

win Mon 15-Aug-22 17:46:35

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 17:15:38

We need to remember that if houses are too expensive they do not sell.

Round where I live the builders are throwing up houses costing £600,000 and more and they sell like hot cakes, as do the less expensive ones. Cheapest (older) or housing eproperties are around £150,000, but really £200,000 is the starting price unless you buy part of a property and rent the rest. But everything sells, so there are plenty of people who can afford the properties on the market.

We need to remember that in the past a third of the population, those on lowest incomes, looked to the council to provide a decent house and life long tenancy. Many of them would never considered buying a house since they could rely on the council for their housing. The selling ofmcouncil houses for low prices gave some people unrealistic expectations of house ownership, while the reduction in the council housing stock and replacement with Housing Association and rent/buy offers means that people are forced into trying to buy a house, even though their chances of buying one will be low in prosperous areas like the southe east.

pinkjj27 Mon 15-Aug-22 17:00:39

I have had one for years now as the paving gets hot on my GK feet. Also they like to sit on it and craft. mine is trip and mould proof, I got mine in a sustainable farmers market it was large and about only about £20 but you can buy the anywhere now .

Norah Mon 15-Aug-22 16:59:18

NotSpaghetti I can't believe that all people who like "expensive" or even "unnecessary" things don't care about others less financially fortunate. Many people are striving for a fairer world.

I agree. People do care about the less fortunate. People help, people give to food bank, people pay their fair taxes and many indeed want a fair world.

Not everyone is saving for a deposit, feeding a family, purchasing furnishings, paying a childminder paying a mortgage. Some are just spending. Spending runs the economy.

Pippa22 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:26:59

There will always be people who can buy when others are struggling. This is nothing new.

Apparently there are as many people who have accumulated large amounts of money during lockdown eithe4 legally or otherwise as there are people getting poorer and poorer. If you have a large , regular income paying over £600 for a rug is not excessive.
A house very close to mine went on the market less than a week ago and now has a sold board up. The cost is 1.5 million and the purchasers are a young couple with a baby and toddler. They might well be able to spen£ a large sum for a rug for the patio !

HannahLoisLuke Mon 15-Aug-22 15:52:29

Well said Monica. All this outrage at people who enjoy buying things for their home and garden. If they’ve worked hard for their money is it any of our business.

RichmondPark1 Mon 15-Aug-22 15:41:40

oodles Every year I gather all my compost bags together and then put them on our local 'freecycle' social media page. Someone always wants them. This year the lady who took them was using them to bag up her horse's manure which she then put on the freecycle site.

Nagmad2016 Mon 15-Aug-22 15:32:15

I just think the world has gone totally bonkers!!!

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Aug-22 15:28:23

The "expensive" rug that PamelaJ1 first spoke of is a tightly hand-woven kilim. It's pretty big for a hand-woven kilim - 300cms x 230cms. I suppose it's also probably more expensive than it need be as it's made in India but sold in Germany. It's part of a range of hand-woven kilims made to a bespoke design for a German company (which can be sized specially for your space). It is sold here in the UK through 1stDibbs who presumably also take a cut.

All genuine artisan made items will be more than mass-produced ones (and rightly so) but in this instance there are also middle-men involved.

My question about this "expensive" rug is the same question I try to ask myself about other prospective purchases... did the artisan making the item actually get fair recompense for making it?

If so. Fair enough. If we find objects/furnishings/artwork to be truly beautiful and will cherish them then I think they are contributing to the happiness in the world (and people with enough income to do so should buy them if they like).

Some things are worth "investing" in. Some, most decidedly, in my opinion, are not. I have no interest in an outdoor rug but I have spent many long hours trying to find the most-perfect-i- can-afford carpet for my sitting room. I know the one I've chosen will give me years of pleasure and I'm aware how lucky I am to be able to replace the worn-out one. At all.

Some years ago there was a thread a bit like this. I commented on my kettle which was expensive but which I love. Some people said "a kettle is just a kettle" but no - mine is thing of beauty and every day I enjoy using it. I like it for its form and solidity, every day it makes be pleased to use it. I do remember in tough times not being able to afford to mend my kettle (in the days when you coild buy a new element) and having to use a pan to heat water. Oh the joy of just plugging it in once we had got it fixed! It was such a good and luxurious feeling. I remember it still.

I can't believe that all people who like "expensive" or even "unnecessary" things don't care about others less financially fortunate. Many people are striving for a fairer world.

There is undoubtedly too much "tat" in the world but I do not begrudge anyone a little joy - whether that's a working kettle or a garden rug.
I would be dissapointed if they binned either before it was worn out though!! ?

Grandma70s Mon 15-Aug-22 15:14:19

Bijou

Things are always being thought up for people to spend their money. Someone I know has decking with a three piece suite (weatherproof) and dining table and chairs and loungers etc. I haven’t even got a three piece suite or settee indoors.

Patio heaters seem crazy to me - if it’s too cold to go outside on the patio, stay indoors!

Bijou Mon 15-Aug-22 15:05:08

Things are always being thought up for people to spend their money. Someone I know has decking with a three piece suite (weatherproof) and dining table and chairs and loungers etc. I haven’t even got a three piece suite or settee indoors.

oodles Mon 15-Aug-22 14:47:53

Surely any rug or ourdoor furniture needs ideally to be moved undercover when the weather gets cold and damp, a rug left outside over the winter would be just one more thing to have to clean
It's good to have something soft to sit on in the garden when you can sit on the grass, well you can do now from the point of view of dryness but dead grass is prickly. I personally take dog rugs, blankets or sheepskins outside for doggies and me.
Plastic is so very hot though
At a friend's who has wheelchair ramps made of black rubber, in the summer sun they heat up so much, you could fry eggs on them
I have seen pictures of people's slabs that have been painted with patterns, which does look nice but not sure how hard wearing that would be. I've also seen on one of those garden makeover programmes someone continuing the internal tiles outside and thought that that was a recipe for broken hips when it rained
If I had a patio with a canopy or suchlike over it which kept things dry most of the time and that I could use more often than just the patio I might get a rug , if I do it will need to be one made out of recycled stuff, sadly most of our carpetting these days is synthetic.
I do wish that there was more ways of recycling some of the plastic that comes with modern gardening, pots and compost bags for example. Some british plastic recyclers take feed and fertiliser bags from Farmers who collect them in bulk, I'm sure that if it was possibl to do that with compost bags many would take their old worn out ones there, I have seen a bin in one garden centre but it was too far away to go on a regular basis

Gabrielle56 Mon 15-Aug-22 14:43:08

4allweknow

I have seen these rugs in some stores. What comes to mind is no matter how good the paving worms and creepy crawlies always seem to get underneath anything laid on the ground. I see these rugs as trip hazards and another thing to be cleaned.

No. Nothing "gets under" mine. The flags underneath are old and past ket washing as the finish has worn off and we can't afford to rip up a really well laid patio for cosmetic reasons so the "rug" covers all and not a trip hazard either! Seats and flower pots weigh down and it helps if one watches where one's walking too? Oh and it's non slip in winter too!

Gabrielle56 Mon 15-Aug-22 14:38:23

Blimey! Who can afford newspapers?!. All that filthy print on feet traipsed into house.....bad idea...