Gransnet forums

Chat

Loch Lomond today

(27 Posts)
Esspee Fri 12-Aug-22 17:06:47

This morning a mist descended over Loch Lomond and in the ethereal cool this family of swans mistook us for their Deliveroo breakfast delivery.
I want to share the chill and serenity of the moment with you.
If you enlarge the photo you can see the mother swan and her five cygnets.

Grannmarie Fri 12-Aug-22 20:26:25

Thank you, Marydoll, we have much to be thankful for.?

I'm a wee bit nervous about the flight TBH, but it was a gift from the family so I'll feel the fear and do it anyway! DH is really looking forward to it, he enjoys landscape photography. It'll do him a power of good after being ill.

paddyann54 Fri 12-Aug-22 19:24:27

There is no trespass law here but people who move here often believe that as they bought the property they can decide who walks across it.Because this used to be a Youth Hostel literally millions of feet have walked around that land and many will want to revisit it now.
I have no problem with a zone near the house being out of bounds but its not on to stop or try to stop teh right to roam .

Urmstongran Fri 12-Aug-22 19:15:01

Beautiful photo.

I don’t know why, maybe just because it’s ‘up that way’ my first thought when I saw the title was of the awful tragic shootings on the Isle of Skye and over in Dornie, Kyle. Yes, I know it’s 3 hours away by road. It’s just how my mind worked.

Marydoll Fri 12-Aug-22 19:07:57

Granmarie, you are brave! Glad to hear your husband is on the mend.

henetha Fri 12-Aug-22 18:43:50

So beautiful. I do miss my holidays in Scotland.

Grannmarie Fri 12-Aug-22 18:36:42

We're still looking forward to our sea plane trip from Cameron House. It was cancelled due to the weather when we stayed at Duck Bay for DH's 70th. Then DH was seriously ill, but now he is on the mend we can reschedule. So looking forward to the wonderful views over the Loch, and beyond. Such a beautiful area.

annodomini Fri 12-Aug-22 18:36:17

paddyann54, I'm puzzles that a landowner is putting up 'no trespass' signs. I was under the impression that there was now no trespass law in Scotland. Surely he shouldn't be getting away with this officious behaviour.

Kate1949 Fri 12-Aug-22 18:00:14

Beautiful

Marydoll Fri 12-Aug-22 17:56:54

Esspee

Overthemoongran

Thank you for the beautiful photo, it brings back wonderful memories of a family wedding held at what was previously a youth hostel on the banks of Loch Lomond.

If that was Rowardennan Overthemoongran it is still there. Just last week we picked up a DNA cousin and family at Balmaha and dropped them off at Rowardennan on their West Highland Way treck. It looked lovely, nestled under the Ben.

I stayed in that youth hostel, but Ardgartan was even better, stunning views. I used to watch the train to Oban clinging to the hillside and dream of being on it.
I did eventually manage it, just before lockdown on a steam train from Glasgow to Fort William and back! !

paddyann54 Fri 12-Aug-22 17:51:26

Might have been Auchendennan at Duck Bay ,it was used as the big house in Take The High Road ,Sadly now owned by a man who sticks no trespass signs all around it!

Esspee Fri 12-Aug-22 17:44:13

avitorl

I also thought there was going to be no water there. Pleased to see the opposite is true

The West of Scotland is not short of water avitor1. The hills are green and the waterfalls still flowing.
Come for a visit, we'd love to see you.

Esspee Fri 12-Aug-22 17:38:09

Overthemoongran

Thank you for the beautiful photo, it brings back wonderful memories of a family wedding held at what was previously a youth hostel on the banks of Loch Lomond.

If that was Rowardennan Overthemoongran it is still there. Just last week we picked up a DNA cousin and family at Balmaha and dropped them off at Rowardennan on their West Highland Way treck. It looked lovely, nestled under the Ben.

paddyann54 Fri 12-Aug-22 17:33:25

Lovely shotESPEE Being a local and biased I dont think its possible to take a bad picture of the Loch.It looks beautiful in all weather conditions.
It my favourite place on earth,we were married in Luss 47 years ago and as a teen I would jump on the Luss bus round the corner from our house with a book and a cold drink and sit on the shore for hours.Its a lot more commerialised now but no less beautiful .

JenniferEccles Fri 12-Aug-22 17:30:01

Beautiful. It looks like a sort of picture which could win a photographic competition.

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Aug-22 17:26:47

Beautiful Esspee reminds me of happy trips to Killin.

Overthemoongran Fri 12-Aug-22 17:22:52

Esspee Fri 12-Aug-22 17:22:20

Broadband reception is bitty on the water Marydoll.
Thought the photo would make gransnet members feel cool.

avitorl Fri 12-Aug-22 17:20:16

I also thought there was going to be no water there. Pleased to see the opposite is true

GrandmasueUK Fri 12-Aug-22 17:20:05

That’s so serene.

Marydoll Fri 12-Aug-22 17:18:59

Espee, I knew right away it was you, when I saw the title.
I haven't seen you posting and wondered if all was well with you.

This morning Alexa told me thatt it was foggy in Glasgow, when we actaully had bright sunshine. She must have mistakenly thought that she was in Loch Lomond. ?

Galaxy Fri 12-Aug-22 17:11:49

That's so beautiful. Our local reservoir looks very depleted.

Chewbacca Fri 12-Aug-22 17:11:07

Looks so cool, calm and serene. Wish I was there right now instead of in this heat!

Smileless2012 Fri 12-Aug-22 17:10:21

Yes, beautiful Esspeesmile.

MayBee70 Fri 12-Aug-22 17:10:04

Oh phew. My first thought was ‘no water in it’!

Ailidh Fri 12-Aug-22 17:08:29

Beautiful.