Gransnet forums

Chat

Portable air conditioning unit for a car

(15 Posts)
JenniferEccles Tue 16-Aug-22 16:12:02

Oh thanks for pointing that out Georgesgran I did wonder if that was the case, but even so I would still bite the bullet and get it done for all the reasons I mentioned.

Yet another unexpected expense though is not something anyone would relish at the moment.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Aug-22 15:39:55

Serendipity I don’t know of any such units.
During the recent weather I just went out early or late as much as I could. My air con is rarely used as it uses extra fuel and for the majority of my driving life the cars didn’t have it, as MrJ’s car doesn’t now, but the windows all openebed.

Katie59 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:41:53

There are no portable air on unit’s for cars that Ive heard of,
The most likely cause is that the gas has leaked away over the years and you need to top it up, a garage will charge around £60 for this, there are other causes but nothing you can do yourself - other than check fuses. The garage will check for leaks before they use new gas, aircon is not needed for demisting winter, the heater does that

Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 14:22:32

Jennifer - I read it that the OP’s air-con system has failed completely and she’s looking at a hefty bill to repair. I’m in the same boat - I get mine re-gassed every 2 years, usual cost below £50, but this time the new gas has made no difference, although the fan is blowing ok. It’s been absolutely boiling and taking DD2s dogs to be groomed couldn’t have been pleasant for them, despite opening the windows when I could (only in slow traffic or stationary) it wasn’t good.
Agree the air con needs to be used under different circumstances, even in Winter and I always test mine every month.

Serendipity22 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:19:41

Thank-you for all your posts...

All appreciated smile

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:13:02

The more electrics you use the harder the car has to work to keep the battery charged.

A mobile phone being charged doesn’t use much power, I would think a fan would use quite a bit.

Norah Tue 16-Aug-22 13:53:27

We have several portable units in our home, work very well in extreme heat. I assume similar are produced for cars?

JenniferEccles Tue 16-Aug-22 13:44:38

Are you talking about just having the air conditioning system re-gased?
If so it’s not that expensive.
We had one of our cars done a couple of years ago and it was around £60 I think.
Ok it may have gone up, but it’s better surely than having some portable device in the car.
Maybe though the whole unit needs to be replaced in which case I guess it could be pricey.

I wouldn’t be without air con though.
Obviously with the recent heatwave it’s essential but it’s required all year round for preventing the car from misting up when it rains and we get in with damp clothes on.

Just opening windows as some have suggested never efficiently solves that problem does e?

Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 13:19:08

The air con unit will connect via the in-car plug (used to be known as the cigarette lighter) so no real cost incurred - running the car, recharges the battery.

Serendipity22 Tue 16-Aug-22 13:11:02

Open the window yes.... obviously IF the air that blows in cools you down, unfortunately that was not the case considering it was a heatwave !!!

Auntieflo Tue 16-Aug-22 13:00:38

Oopsadaisy1, a girl after my own heart.
I had thought of posting that, then thought I would be lambasted for being frivolous.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:12:58

Not a very efficient way of using expensive fuel.

IMO. Why not open the windows?

Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 10:05:56

There are some on Amazon ranging from £50-£80. Lots of fans but they’d only blow the hot air around.

Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 00:14:58

Mine’s packed in as well!! Took it to my garage and had it re-gassed, but still just blowing out hot air. It’s booked in for when I’m back from holiday and I’m dreading the cost. I’ve got cooling leather seats, but it’s like sitting on a wet jelly - ugh!

Serendipity22 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:45:33

Ok, no need for me to go into detail about how unbearably hot its been, so my question is has anyone a portable air conditioning unit in their car and if so how efficient is it?

The A/C in my car has packed up and I'm forward planning for the next time its slightly warm !!!!.

To rectify the A/C that in my car will cost £££££ and when all is said and done I only pop from A to B so I thought a portable A/C unit would be cheaper.

Thank you..

❄ ❄ ❄