Gransnet forums

Chat

Rain! If you’re in the SE, have you had any?

(107 Posts)
Witzend Tue 16-Aug-22 09:04:37

We had a fair bit last night in outer SW London - not nearly enough of course, but proper rain for maybe half an hour, and it’s blissfully cool this morning - at least compared to the oven-like temps recently.
More please! ?

gillgran Fri 26-Aug-22 10:33:05

We did have a nice little rain yesterday morning, here in N.,Cambs., Refreshing, but not nearly enough for the garden, nor for nearby growers.
Warm & sunny again, no rain in forecast here, nor at our little home-from-home at the coast in NW Norfolk.

Witzend Fri 26-Aug-22 08:30:50

A ‘misty moisty morning’ today - we don’t usually get them until early September. Loads of rain yesterday, until mid afternoon.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 25-Aug-22 20:08:58

We drove through horrendous rain yesterday from Bristol through to Truro where it rained most of the night. This morning Truro was Sunny and dry, we drove into rain at Bristol to Oxford where it rained until 4 pm. The sky is now clear.
Somerset, Devon and Cornwall are so green , unlike our brown grass here.

grandMattie Thu 25-Aug-22 15:26:41

I’m so, so envious. We were forecast a long storm, plenty of rain…. Ha! Not even spits and spots. Grrr.

M0nica Thu 25-Aug-22 15:21:58

It has been raining all morning in south Oxfordshire.

AreWeThereYet Thu 25-Aug-22 14:33:30

In NW Surrey and finally had proper rain for the first time in over eight months, apart from a couple of brief showers that lasted about ten minutes and barely wet the surface. Actually had puddles on the road when we went for a walk this morning. It stopped about an hour ago and the sun is shining again but at least the air is nice and fresh. Sadly many of our shrubs are just brown and shrivelled now, instead of the lovely green oasis the garden used to be.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 25-Aug-22 13:53:33

Absolutely throwing it down here in Clapham since 5am, petering out now.

Witzend Thu 25-Aug-22 12:49:56

It’s only just stopped here - sky is brightening just a bit. Still quite a lot of heavy grey cloud in the distance though - in the direction it usually comes from.

Pittcity Thu 25-Aug-22 12:48:01

We've had a bit here in Colchester but not until after 9am today. No thunder as we seem to be on the edge of the storm.
The last Thursday in August is usually wet as it is Clacton Airshow day.

Patsy70 Thu 25-Aug-22 12:12:23

I am in the SE, bordering London/Kent and it has been raining steadily since about 3am, with thunder and lightening in the early hours. Seems to be easing off now and brightening up. Will go and check the 3 water butts! ???

icanhandthemback Thu 25-Aug-22 11:15:23

Half way between Portsmouth and Chichester, we've had rain and looking at the clouds I think we've more to come. I'm doing a rain dance to encourage it.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Aug-22 11:11:27

Kent/S London borders. Thunder and lightning woke me at some point. Now a steady rainfall. I feel like celebrating. Sorry for anyone who had planned outdoor activities, and for my DD1 in Cornwall on holiday. But honestly, we really needed this. Thames water banned hosepipes from yesterday so the rain has come at a good time.

downtoearth Thu 25-Aug-22 11:11:23

Mid norfolk heavy rain,thunderstorm and lightening for few hours around 5.30-8.30.
Rain predicted for rest of day.
Very humid

Squiffy Thu 25-Aug-22 10:43:08

Thunder and lightning in the night and heavy downpour in the South. Still pouring now. Our water butts will be very happy!

PamelaJ1 Thu 25-Aug-22 10:40:23

Germanshepherdsmum

Not a drop in north Norfolk. It was promised yesterday - nothing. No sign of it today either. Now it’s promised tomorrow. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Believe it now????? wonderful.

bubbly1960 Thu 25-Aug-22 10:38:04

South East Suffolk, a little splatter earlier, sounds like the west of the county had our share!!!!
Should I do a rain dance????

TerriBull Thu 25-Aug-22 09:48:04

There was thunder and lightning in the night during my early morning tossing and turning hours. Now it's raining steadily, my husband has cancelled his golfsad Never mind the garden has greened up and back to what it was before the heatwave, that's the upside.

Rosie51 Thu 25-Aug-22 09:26:52

Brief thunderstorm just before 6am with torrential rain for 6 or 7 minutes. That gave way to steady rain that's still falling smile Our hosepipe ban started yesterday. I'm going to don my wellies and see if I can spike the grass now to let the rain penetrate even deeper. I'm on heavy clay, that resembles concrete, so couldn't do it earlier. rafichagran me too, love the sound of rain, and it feels so much fresher.

Juliet27 Thu 25-Aug-22 09:15:36

Wonderful storm first thing this morning in East Sussex. Constant lightning, thunder and heavy rain.

rafichagran Thu 25-Aug-22 09:12:42

Raining here, I am going out for lunch today, we were eating outside, guess we will have to eat inside. Not complaining very pleased, hope it continues. I love the sound of rain.

mamaa Thu 25-Aug-22 09:11:37

Suffolk coast- had about 3 mins worth, sun now out and its still quite humid!

TwiceAsNice Thu 25-Aug-22 09:05:55

Pouring with rain here In Surrey. Has rained half the night and still going

lixy Thu 25-Aug-22 09:03:53

Yes! raining cats and dogs here in Bedfordshire from the early hours and still going strong. Brilliant!

Not so great though for the high school children beginning to troop past on their way to collect results - looking very soggy - guess they won't be picnicing in the park this morning. sad

VB000 Thu 25-Aug-22 08:58:06

Rained overnight and raining now in south Somerset

Witzend Thu 25-Aug-22 08:53:37

Loads this morning, thick white blanket of cloud. Thunder and lightning last night.
Lawn is already greening up nicely. Water butts full.
Hosepipe ban came into force yesterday here!