Gransnet forums

Chat

Basic exercises for knee pain (arthritis)

(10 Posts)
Shirley48 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:47:45

Oopsadaisy1

Obviously the less you weigh the less pressure on your joints.

Not too bad in that respect - lost a lot of weight a few years ago when diagnosed with a heart problem. 5’7” / 10 stone. But poor muscle tone from a lifetime of dislike of exercise!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Aug-22 14:13:18

Don’t remind me!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:09:16

Obviously the less you weigh the less pressure on your joints.

Shirley48 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:00:14

Yes, this is what I’m (belatedly) learning - need stronger thighs and calves.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Aug-22 13:45:31

I think that sitting up exercise helps strengthen the muscles at the front of the thighs which help support the knees, which is important if you have dodgy knees. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and those muscles certainly need working on.

Outofstepwithhumanity Tue 16-Aug-22 11:18:43

My physio recommended sitting on a hard chair with arms outstretched in front of you, then rising and sitting as slowly as possible without holding on to anything.

Cheeseplantmad Tue 16-Aug-22 10:28:20

Think you first need to find out what is wrong with your knees .
Your doctor can refer you for XRay , then depending on what’s wrong , can refer you to a physio , they then will help you in the best possible way .
Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplements are supposed to be good for knee joints ect , always worth trying .

Shirley48 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:20:54

Sorry to hear that, Oopsadaisy. I know (from previous hip pain) that my knees are not bone on bone, so I’m trying to keep them going as long as possible!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:18:30

MissOops went to a physio who strongly suggested she had her knees x-rayed, the X-rays showed that the bone was so worn away that no exercises would help, in fact they would be useless and very painful.
1 partial knee replacement done(partial due to her being fairly young ) and one booked in for October.

Shirley48 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:16:04

My knees have recently starting aching and I’d like to do a daily set of exercises to strengthen them. Obviously I’ve looked on the web, but there are so many! Has anyone got a basic exercise routine for knees / any videos etc you could recommend? I try to walk daily and I go swimming twice a week.