Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 18th August 2022

(52 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 18-Aug-22 05:51:26

Good Morning Everyone,
A grey cloudy start here in brackley this morning , no sign of rain though .
Todays plans are to get a early bus to Bicester , browse for certain items ,and then have a coffee plus something to eat .
Return home to have a quiet day in.
Take Care,
Mick

Gingster Thu 18-Aug-22 07:55:41

Good morning all and it’s just right at the moment, here in Essex. Bright sky , cool and calm! Lovely!

Yesterday Dh nearly put off his fishing as storms and rain were forecast. Good job he didn’t , as a fine day ensued and as GG quite rightly says - not a drop of rain.

Today we are off to lunch with our pals to celebrate friends 70th birthday. Nine of us in all . We are going to a lovely old pub/restaurant out in the country. Should be fun.

Happy anniversary to the dinosaurs . Have a lovely day ?

Take care ?.

BlueSapphire Thu 18-Aug-22 07:59:59

View of Guernsey from my balcony, tenders getting ready for those going ashore.

Marydoll Thu 18-Aug-22 08:02:15

Good morning all from a cloudy and windy Glasgow, where it's currently 14°, we have rain forecast again. (Sorry GM).
We are seriously considering buying a water butt, to play our part in not wasting water. I couldn't believe the amount of water yesterday, which had collected in a bucket, which I forgot to put away.

You were all correct, Dollie went into school, without a backward glance yesterday I wish I had taken a photo. Her friend is taller than average and Dollie is tiny, from behind they looked just like Laurel and Hardy!
I watched her coming down the road, chattering away to mum and dad, oblivious to our presence. Her face was a picture, when she spotted me, her jaw dropped, with mouth wide open and speechless!
I had tears in my eyes, when she launched herself at us. (I'm becoming such a big softie in my old age),
A chat with the Jannie (who used to be in my school's jannie) and some grandparents (a touch of dèja vu from forty years ago, at the same school gates), just made my day.

Yesterday's raid on the ex lodgers' garden was extremely successful! DD has firm views on what she wants and I have firm views that she is mad, getting rid of so much. I, of course, was there in only an advisory and supervisory capacity, while Mr Doll and SIL did the hard labour. ?
I was delighted with my spoils. The downside, I need to buy more pots.

I also met DD's new neighbour. Half an hour later, (much to DD'S annoyance) we were still talking! Her daughter appeared, (yet another lodger, who was unable to get the keys for her new home,) who it turned out, had been taught by my sister in law and various ex colleagues. Sorted, new friends made!
The neighbour said that they were delighted that such a lovely couple had moved in, because the previous occupant had been the neighbour from hell. #PROUD MUM!

Today will be a gentle day, my stomach and throat are still troublesome.
I have manged to fix my sewing machine and I have a few alterations to do, ( its a pain, being vertically challenged), so I shall tackle them.

Harri, I hope you get your appointment sorted, what happened to you was disgraceful.
Here in Glasgow, if I miss an NHS call, which I often do, they will try later. I once missed four in Rome. Thank goodness they were persistent!

Grandmadinosaur, have a lovely day today, Conway Castle was yet another item on our Welsh bucket list. We had been planning a trip to Wales, before lockdown, but life, as usual, has been making it difficult!
Enjoy your meet up, GM, having friends is better than all the riches in the world!
Greyduster, we had a similar experience, the backdoor wouldn't lock and it was 10pm, before the locksmith arrived! I hope you get the lock sorted today.

Wishing you all the best of days, thanks to all, who think of me, it does help keep up my spirits and I do reciprocate with prayers and candles for all in the sick bay.
I had no intention of writing a novella today, but as usual, I got carried away! ?

I'm off to read all of your news.

Stilllearning Thu 18-Aug-22 08:11:55

Good morning from cloudy S Lanarkshire. I’ve had an incredibly busy week and have just quickly read through all the posts! Needless to say I can’t remember most but I was delighted to see Grandmafrench in her well remembered style. I’m glad I read and didn’t miss her.

Hope first day at secondary school went well for your DGD baubles and that Dolly coped okay Marydoll

I took DD and the two DGC that I look after after school on Mondays, for a pre return to school lunch at the garden centre that several of you enjoy, having worked out where it was!
It was indeed lovely but I had been slightly thrown by 7 year old grandson saying chattily en route, ‘Is it posh Granny?’
When, rather startled, I asked what he meant, he said ‘Well you’re posh Granny, we’re not’?! I think he meant strict!

As always, remembering especially daughters receiving treatment and everyone else who are soldiering on.
Have a good day everyone ???

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Aug-22 08:12:45

Good morning from dull, but no rain, Leicestershire.

Yesterday DH lost his driving glasses on his way to the audiologist. Didn’t notice til he got home so had driven home without them! We went back and found them on the car park floor!

Today we have a man coming to look at replacing our 25 year old awning which has finally died. We cannot live without it in the heat.
Then a walk with friends before the sun returns.

Happy Anniversary to the Dinosaurs.
Lovely to see Grandmafrench yesterday and wishing everyone the best day possible.

Grandmabatty Thu 18-Aug-22 08:14:55

Happy anniversary Grandmadinosaur. Have a lovely day ??

harrigran Thu 18-Aug-22 08:17:58

Good morning from a grey NE.
Yesterday turned out to be a nicer day than expected and I was able to go out for a walk after lunch.
I have a CT scan arranged for this evening and SIL will take me.
DD is hoping to visit the UK at the end of the month, it is her DH's birthday and she will be attending the funeral of a musician friend, they were in a band together.
Enjoy your days out.

Ashcombe Thu 18-Aug-22 08:18:35

Good morning, all, from a partly sunny Torbay.

Late on parade today as being up late at the theatre is affecting morning routines. Last night saw our best audience yet in terms of numbers and response with much applause and laughter. Rain yesterday helped to cool the temperatures indoors, which was welcome for the patrons.

It’s good to read of your plans with families and holidays. Kind thoughts to those who are unwell. Welcome back, Grandmafrench. ?????

Chrissielou Thu 18-Aug-22 08:48:52

A very grey start here in Oxfordshire, cool and a little misty. It was a delight to walk dog yesterday without the energy sapping temperatures of late.
My kitchen resembles the Dolmio factory, yet more tomatoes to cook again today. Surprised we don't turn orange grin. I might make tomato chutney, lots of sauce and soup already made and in the freezer.
I hope you all have a good day and find some happiness and laughter today.

luluaugust Thu 18-Aug-22 09:15:03

Good morning from a grey W Kent. Off to art group and then a bit of housework. Lovely day yesterday with DD2, GS5 and DGD2, a visit with GD to the hairdressers was an interesting time. GS had his first covid jab to go back to school.
Happy Anniversary Grandmadinosaur
Best wishes to all

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Aug-22 09:23:23

Good morning from a very overcast South Yorkshire. We are forecast rain late afternoon, but we’ll see.

Getting ready for my Pilates class and then I’m not sure what I’ll be doing, probably some housework, at least flick the duster round ?.

Happy anniversary Grandmadinosaur. Your plans for the day sound lovely. ??

Hope you get your lock sorted quickly, Greyduster. We take such things for granted, don’t we, so that when something happens we realise just how important they are.

Hope you all have a good day, and thoughts to all of you feeling unwell or with poorly loved ones.

Take care.

Georgesgran Thu 18-Aug-22 09:36:58

Good morning from a grey Durham. Yesterday was much the same, but it brightened up later to a beautiful afternoon and a friend dropped in to share the last of a bottle of wine.
Very pleased to hear Harri’s news and hope her evening appointment goes well.
I’m going to take DD2’s older dog home today, then into Newcastle to get my hair cut, ending up at DD1’s to see DGS1 - another child bit him at preschool yesterday, leaving a nasty mark on his nose.
Hope GrandmaFrench’s visit was not a one off and she will continue to post.
Happy anniversary to The Dinosaurs ?
Have a good day.

Sar53 Thu 18-Aug-22 09:51:34

Good late morning from Essex by the sea. The sun is shining although it looks like we had some rain overnight.

I've been food shopping already. DH will be back tomorrow afternoon after his adventures up the Thames.

I now have some phone calls to make and an email to compose to a neighbour who is causing a few problems in the flats.

Happy Anniversary to Mr & Mrs Dinosaur, have a lovely day.

How nice to see Grandmafrench posting again. We had a month in the South of France in May and had a lovely time.

Have a lovely Thursday everyone xx

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 18-Aug-22 09:51:39

Good morning all from cloudy Harrogate with threats of rain!
Happy anniversary Grandmadinasaur enjoy Betws y Coed. You’ll probably find it very busy too. We normally go in April - that’s bad enough for parking!
Tried posting too hours ago but it got lost! I now await delivery of my Sainsburies shopping. Yesterday we went to Knaresborough market and met us with DD and DGDfor a cuppa apparently DGD was getting frustrated looking for us because ‘there were too many nanas and grampas there.’
I’ve yet to find out if I have her later today or not. If not I shall go into town
Hope you are feeling better soon Marydoll
Have the best day possible folks

hulahoop Thu 18-Aug-22 09:53:18

Good morning from a full West York's ,shopping today and some catching up on housework, I lead an exciting life don't I ?Hope your scan gives good results Harrigran. Best wishes on your anniversary Grandmadinosaur have a lovely day.thoughts with all who are not feeling too good.

hulahoop Thu 18-Aug-22 09:54:18

Not full but dull !

aggie Thu 18-Aug-22 10:00:24

Good morning everyone from an overcast Co Armagh, lovely and cool ! Whoever thought I would be saying that ! I used to love the heat and foreign holidays were savoured , now I could live in the freezer !
Prayers and good wishes for all those going for tests and “procedures “
Lovely to see your granddaughter got on well on her first day back to school Marydoll

Blossoming Thu 18-Aug-22 10:09:56

Good morning Mick and everyone. It’s been raining in my corner of Lancashire with more forecast for this afternoon, currently 18°C.

Nothing much planned for today, we’ll see how it goes. My balance continues to be problematic, I’m missing going for walks but daren’t risk more falls. I have ordered some new jeggings from Seasalt, they may arrive today. Seasalt’s jeggings and leggings are great quality and I wear them with dresses instead of tights. I struggle to get tights on these days. I have bought very few new things since my lockdown wardrobe clear out, going on the ‘one out, one in’ principle.

Happy anniversary Grandmadinosaur.

Best wishes to all in sick bay. Marydoll your unfailing humour cheers me up, please continue with the novellas flowers

Have the best day possible all ???

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 18-Aug-22 10:10:04

Morning all from a grey and still West Oxfordshire. I’m not sure how my day will go. I had a lovely Afternoon Tea yesterday with the WI. I only needed an apple and a bowl of cereal for dinner! But, I had a horrible tummy upset including being sick, just as I was going to bed. It must have been a poisoned cake or sandwichsad I feel a bit better now but we are supposed to be going out for an U3A lunch…

Scapa1 Thu 18-Aug-22 10:15:56

Good morning from a wet and not very warm Dunblane. Grandmadinosaur we went to Betws y Coed for our honeymoon 49years ago. Went back last month and neither of us remembered anything about it except the Falls. grin Had lovely fish and chips. Lovely wee place. Does tend to be busy.

Marydoll Thu 18-Aug-22 11:02:23

Blossoming, I was thinking of you yesterday, when I spotted DD's bike in the driveway.
I used to be fearless on a bike and thought I would have a sneaky shot.
All hell let loose, when DH and SIL spotted me. They needn't have worried, I couldn't even lift my leg to get on it.?
I hope you manage to get out and about soon. ?

Blossoming Thu 18-Aug-22 11:18:00

Thank you Marydoll, fortunately my exercise bike is the recumbent type so no leg lifting required grin

hollysteers Thu 18-Aug-22 11:24:41

Good morning Mick and all from Cloudy Chambers northwest coast.
Put the little car in for its service this morning (yes Georgesgran I do drive it, MOT, taxed and, everything; it may have had one service in 14 years, but that’s it!) It’s a fuss getting a taxi back and later to pick up.
Watched Gone Girl film last night, good film but left me with a horrible atmosphere. Also, why such graphic violence? I couldn’t watch some bits.
Sorting out photos so the DC aren’t left with too many. To see oneself young and happy (or maybe not as happy as portrayed…) brings many mixed feelings.
Congratulations Grandmadinosaur and hope you feel better Ladyleftfieldlover
Will read through properly later

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 18-Aug-22 11:54:04

I’ve just sent OH to the U3A lunch on his own, carrying the chocolate and sour cream cake I had made! My tummy is still unsettled and didn’t think it wise to go out. OH will be eating a delicious array of food - beef, salmon, salads, glorious puddings…I’ll have toast sad

Baggs Thu 18-Aug-22 11:58:33

I spent five years of my childhood in Hull, ShazzaKanazza. MrB and I are going to E Yorks for a week in September, partly so I can look at old haunts. We both might do a little, weather-dependent sketching.