Gransnet forums

Chat

Beards... disgusting

(185 Posts)
Serendipity22 Thu 18-Aug-22 18:57:56

Just watching the news on TV and a hideous beard appeared. What is it about this latest trend?

I seriously can'too stand looking at them and I ALWAYS end up sitting on the opposite table in a restaurant to one, ughh i see soup dripped upon this ugly mound of hair, I see spaghetti caught up on the bristles as its been sucked up, ohhh my life there is absolutely ziltch attractive about them.

Get this, last christmas I even saw a chap decorating his beard with miniature baubles.... no need for words as my expression said it all hahaha.

Yes, each to their own, Im all for each to their own BUT beards are excluded hahahahaha.

watermeadow Tue 23-Aug-22 20:05:03

Men used to grow beards to mark themselves out as individuals. Maybe they still do. Trouble is I can’t tell one man with a beard from all the others. I like a beard but they all look alike to me.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Aug-22 08:14:25

I’m so glad I wasn’t eating my breakfast when I read that. ?

Purplepoppies Tue 23-Aug-22 06:29:48

GROSS ALERT
An ex in a far flung corner of my life ..... when he was skint would go into a local cafe and order a runny fried egg (when the place was quite busy)
He would deliberately allow the yolk to run into his long beard, which he would then suck ?
If anyone noticed and were put off their food, he'd wait til they were leaving and take their plate of food before the owner had cleared up! Ingenious really but utterly disgusting.
He stopped doing it after we met, I never saw him doing it. He never dripped food in it under normal circumstances.
There was often beer in his moustache though.
Not behaviour a grown up me would find attractive now.
I do (did? because its been a while) go for the bad boy/biker type so dated a few beards and men who owned them ?

Ladyinspain Sun 21-Aug-22 11:21:39

Not so much hate beards---but Im not a fan of a totally bald man, but a big bushy beard (to compensate?!!) Like a bit of designer stubble as we called it back then

Magrithea Sun 21-Aug-22 09:45:46

Each to his own indeed - my DH and both my boys have beards and I wouldn't have it any other way!

M0nica Sun 21-Aug-22 08:00:09

In DS's case, what he is hiding is the very nasty red rash he would have on his face if he shaved regularly.

dlizi4 Sat 20-Aug-22 23:00:46

Grandma70s

Horrible. I always think men with beards are trying to hide some ugly feature, or have an insecure personality.

This was my mothers mentality, but I find it to be not so, however, I do realise they can harbour untold bacteria if not groomed properly , that is what puts me off . She always said, never trust a man with a beard, they are hiding something ghastly ! I find the opposite

dlizi4 Sat 20-Aug-22 22:56:47

My mother distrusted men with facial hair - said they were hiding (something) . Maybe true but my son rocks a beard - his father did not (rock the look- looked like a loo brush mostly )lol

dlizi4 Sat 20-Aug-22 22:48:50

Serendipity22

Ailidh

Oo, I don't mind a beard. They certainly tickle your fancy.....

(Pauses to check "fancy" hasn't autocorrected to something else)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

cant stop laughing at this ! ty

Secretsquirrel1 Sat 20-Aug-22 21:19:58

I agree absolutely. I find beards pretty repulsive.
I make two exceptions which are for the original Dumbledoor ( the Richard Harris ) and Father Christmas, their beards being snowy white and clean and tidy!
Every other beard on the planet needs to be shaved off immediately!!

kevincharley Sat 20-Aug-22 20:16:53

My husband has had a beard since he was about 15. He once shaved it off for a fancy dress party (Shrek!) and he looked like a kid.

Candelle Sat 20-Aug-22 19:46:24

Especially on women (Mr C, sorry couldn't resist)

Vintagenonna Sat 20-Aug-22 19:34:30

Probably already been quoted but wasn't there a saying that :

"Kissing a man without a beard/moustache was like eating an egg without salt"?

homefarm Sat 20-Aug-22 19:24:07

Have to agree, mostly unhygenic. Son sometimes has the stubble look but husband grew a lockdown beard and still has it -ghastly.

Saetana Sat 20-Aug-22 18:30:21

My late husband had a lovely long silver grey goatie beard - I never liked beards when I was younger but am definitely a convert now. As for the food - that is just messy eating and not specific to bearded guys.

Musicgirl Sat 20-Aug-22 18:26:50

I have always disliked beards. Very few men suit them in my opinion. I particularly dislike moustaches without beards.

Dianehillbilly1957 Sat 20-Aug-22 18:24:26

Chin pubes!!! Don't mind close shaven beards but definitely not the food trap ones!

Thorntrees Sat 20-Aug-22 18:17:21

This discussion about beards,moustaches made me smile as it brought to mind a fond memory of my dear Dad.
He had a moustache for years and from time to time threatened to shave it off. My Mother would say”don’t you dare,it won’t be you without it”.
Then came the day when he did the deed and got rid of it!, it took Mum 2 days to notice- took some time for her to live it down.
Sorry to derail the thread but thank you for bringing a happy memory back.

Seajaye Sat 20-Aug-22 17:54:01

* without it not with it. Oh, if only there was an edit facility on gransnet.

Nantotwo Sat 20-Aug-22 17:53:45

Serendipity22

Good to put it out there though.

We can't all like the same thing.

At first I wondered is it because they lost their hair on their head that they felt the need to grow hair elsewhere, then I saw men with both. Must admit I could start a flippin beard with the amount of hair sprouting through...!!

My grandad used to give me chin pie hahaha, almost ripped the skin off my face...

shockshock

Aww, chin pie, brings back happy (if painful) memories.

Seajaye Sat 20-Aug-22 17:52:35

Disgusting seems a very harsh word to apply to natural facial hair in what is a personal grooming choice. My daughter's partner has a full beard, and although I sometimes wonder what he may look like with it, I would not dream of commenting to anyone about it.

Esspee Sat 20-Aug-22 17:39:18

When I was doing online dating I specified that I hated beards on my profile.
No point in corresponding with someone with facial fungus if the sight of it turns your stomach.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 20-Aug-22 17:16:13

TanaMa

I don't like beards, personal choice, and would not date a bearded chap.
My pet hates are bearded men on t.v. cooking shows without nets on their beards - ugh!!

Oh yes I agree. Especially as men with beards always seem to be scratching them!

Treetops05 Sat 20-Aug-22 17:15:41

I ❤ beards both my husband and son have them, and their faces look unfinished without. They manage to eat without any food decorating their beards and spend almost as much on beard care as I do on hair care- they are both ironically runway clear above, with wonderful beards. My son has received 3 sets of beard baubles and one set of lights in secret Santa's in previous years, he (quite rightly) refuses to wear them.

Whiterabbit1956 Sat 20-Aug-22 17:15:02

I've only ever grown a beard once while I was at university. I agree that food can get in there and can be unsightly. I only had the beard for several months. I was taking my motorcycle test and decided it had to come off because I'd noted that when shopping in large supermarkets, people would move aside with a horror like look on their faces. I usually had my biker gear on with a denim cut off which was just a practical piece of protection as it would stop the leather underneath from getting soaked in wet weather. Anyway, I worried that the way I looked might put off the examiner so I shaved it off as I did look like a mean looking hairy biker.

When I turned up for my test (we're talking the 1980's), the examiner turned out to be a real hells angel, sporting a beard like one of those the ZZ Top guys used to sport.

I've never grown a beard since (but mainly because my wife hates them).