Gransnet forums

Chat

Phoenix's Curse

(241 Posts)
kittylester Fri 19-Aug-22 11:47:58

Written in 'honour' of our ex sil - commonly know as the ar****le.

tickingbird Sun 21-Aug-22 19:46:39

Deedaa

tickingbird I was surprised by the suggestion that GN was not the place for nasty texts. We are surely all of fairly mature years and not likely to have a fit of the vapours at a few "nasty" words. I believe The Peoples'Friend is still being published for those of a delicate constitution.

Indeed grin

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 15:27:31

You know what I mean Angela - people who stamp on any fun. I too know about the reality of the Taliban through family experiences, and I don’t use the word lightly.

Angela73 Sun 21-Aug-22 14:47:34

Germanshepherdsmum

Some people like to poke their nose in everywhere, GG. Some also like to dictate what should and should not be allowed on GN, regardless of whether others enjoy it. As I said upthread, rather like the Taliban.

As the Gran of a son and a GS in the armed forces, I would say this situation has zero in common with the Taliban shock

Charleygirl5 Sun 21-Aug-22 14:12:00

I so agree, I miss hearing about Oliver Sprout and the other cat living at their abode. Rachel had a way with words and I think she could have made some money in different circumstances as she was funny and articulate. RIP dear friend.

NfkDumpling Sun 21-Aug-22 14:00:51

Oh, Phoenix how you are missed and needed.

Hithere Sun 21-Aug-22 13:58:50

Free speech applies to everyone

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Aug-22 13:10:18

I suppose GG13 because as NanKate says we have free speech, as in real life and I agree with her, long live it.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 12:59:56

Some people like to poke their nose in everywhere, GG. Some also like to dictate what should and should not be allowed on GN, regardless of whether others enjoy it. As I said upthread, rather like the Taliban.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Aug-22 11:55:45

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t think it would, sadly. At least one poster took great exception to the poem and continued in the same vein despite explanations. As has been said so many times, if you don’t like what you read scroll on.

I am really struggling to understand why posters engage with and post on threads they do not understand and also find disgraceful/ tasteless ?

Like GSM has posted why not just scroll past?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 11:43:29

I don’t think it would, sadly. At least one poster took great exception to the poem and continued in the same vein despite explanations. As has been said so many times, if you don’t like what you read scroll on.

eazybee Sun 21-Aug-22 11:40:51

Then you must include yourself, Fanny.
Many do not know the backstory' and an immediate courteous explanation of this 'poem' would have prevented the unpleasantness.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 10:40:10

One last comment to you Baggy.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
I should have written ‘one’ instead of ‘you’.
I was not addressing all of my observations at you personally, rather than to all of the posters on this thread who have chosen to be unpleasant and lacking in decorum.

Baggytrazzas Sun 21-Aug-22 10:32:39

Fanny you suggested that I needed to read between the lines and engage my brain to decipher what the original post was about.

You won't need to waste your time speaking with me again.

NanKate Sun 21-Aug-22 10:27:22

If I find a thread not to my liking I just avoid it.

Many of us who know Kitty and the late much loved Phoenix will understand the humour and the backstory.

Long live free speech.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 10:25:54

eazybee

Her departure has nothing to do with Phoenix and this thread is not the place to air grievances.

Yes, phoenix was a lovely person and I think she would be appalled by some of the posts on here, especially those attacking posters whom she considered to be dear friends.

Why do some posters persist?

Is it not time to realise that this is all very unseemly and just stop, please?

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 10:22:57

Well, that was nice! smile
I’ll remember not to waste my time speaking to you again

Baggytrazzas Sun 21-Aug-22 10:17:38

Hi Fanny, I disagree,the opening post was distinctly unclear. No one should have to try to read between the lines at all to try to establish the meaning of an opening post.

I do have a brain, and it is normally fully engaged. I only figured out what the intention was after others had asked.

I'm sick and tired of all the arguing and bullying that is taking place on GN mainly by middle aged or older females and tbh I think that I'm about to cancel out of GN altogether.

Good luck to the decent folk on GN, the rest of you deserve each other.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 10:04:27

Baggy, if Kitty had wanted to, she would have already had the thread removed.

There was actually nothing wrong with the opening post.
You didn’t have to read between the lines too much to have a cursory idea of what it was about.
You just had to engage brain. Or ask.

The thread is an illustration that there a (very) few people on GN who just enjoy making trouble and causing upset.

It would have happened, in one shape or form, regardless of what was written by the op.

The thread seems on track now, and some lovely things have been shared about Pheonix, on this thread and the others.

Baggytrazzas Sun 21-Aug-22 09:53:55

For a thread was intended to be in loving remembrance of a dear friend, it is actually a sad disgrace. If you were attending an event for the person face to face would you be speaking like this?

I sincerely hope than the family of the deceased friend do not read this thread.

The original wording should have been much clearer in describing the intention, and what followed may not then have happened.

I don't know if it is possible for OP to ask for the thread to be removed and then a new one opened with better wording, or even better, if it's only for certain people, via private email or some other media out of site of GN general usage.

Once again, disappointing behaviour being displayed from people who should know better.

Charleygirl5 Sun 21-Aug-22 09:48:32

GG I also have met a few GNs in real life and they have become friends. 4 of us have been meeting for coffee locally monthly for 5 years now.

Another lady I meet fairly regularly for coffee or lunch but she lives on the other side of London.

I also value the 2 penfriend friendships I have made. There are some decent kind people on GN and Rachel was head of the queue.

I had no idea she kept sheep once- whatever next!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Aug-22 09:14:01

Lucca

eazybee

Her departure has nothing to do with Phoenix and this thread is not the place to air grievances.

I Believe it was Maw who told us when Phoenix died. So NOT irrelevant at all.

You are correct.

Mandrake Sun 21-Aug-22 01:10:18

GrannyGravy13

I suppose it depends on your definition of mafia

There are a fair few GN members who meet up in real life (I do with other local members) so obviously we know more about each other and are by definition closer.

Then there are those of us who due to distance email each other (like pen friends) and are also close.

Should we/I not post on threads due to our friendships ?

It's lovely that this sort of real life friendship has come out of this site.

Lucca Sun 21-Aug-22 00:08:33

eazybee

I Believe it was Maw who told us when Phoenix died. So NOT irrelevant at all.

Deedaa Sat 20-Aug-22 22:20:32

tickingbird I was surprised by the suggestion that GN was not the place for nasty texts. We are surely all of fairly mature years and not likely to have a fit of the vapours at a few "nasty" words. I believe The Peoples'Friend is still being published for those of a delicate constitution.

Blossoming Sat 20-Aug-22 21:31:19

tickingbird grin