Gransnet forums

Chat

Translation please

(53 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 25-Aug-22 12:57:30

I keep reading this, and hearing it on the news, so will someone else translate the word 'WOKE', for me? I thought it was to do with waking from sleep.

Is anyone else struggling to understand their mother tongue due to these new meanings for words?

Elegran Thu 16-Mar-23 09:00:58

absent

Being a devoted grammar pedant, I tend to wince at the use of this word, as in "she is woke". However, I think it's mainly used to emphasise that, while people are of course entitled to have opinions on any subject, be it religion, politics, parenting, abortion, wearing masks during a pandemic, same sex marriage or lots of other things, they are not entitled to insist that everyone else should follow their particular "rules".

Very true, until those who believe that they are woke and everyone else is still asleep insist that everyone follow their particular draconic rules.

That is what is done by some early-adopters who enthusiastically accuse those who are not using the latest buzzwords of being against the principle that the buzzword describes. A rose is a rose by any other name.

Mollygo Thu 16-Mar-23 04:36:29

growstuff

I interpret it as the opposite. It's used as an insult by people accusing others of virtue signalling.

It’s usually used by those who claim they are woke or that others are not woke as they insult those they think are not as aware of changes in the world, or those who don’t accept things that are untrue just because the woke think they should.

absent Thu 16-Mar-23 03:59:25

Being a devoted grammar pedant, I tend to wince at the use of this word, as in "she is woke". However, I think it's mainly used to emphasise that, while people are of course entitled to have opinions on any subject, be it religion, politics, parenting, abortion, wearing masks during a pandemic, same sex marriage or lots of other things, they are not entitled to insist that everyone else should follow their particular "rules".

growstuff Thu 16-Mar-23 01:31:58

nanna8

Sadly I associate the word 'woke' with prejudice and a judgemental attitude. I am positive it wasn't meant that way but that is how it seems now. Virtue signalling in the worst way.

I interpret it as the opposite. It's used as an insult by people accusing others of virtue signalling.

growstuff Thu 16-Mar-23 01:29:29

Mollygo

nanna8

Sadly I associate the word 'woke' with prejudice and a judgemental attitude. I am positive it wasn't meant that way but that is how it seems now. Virtue signalling in the worst way.

Claiming to be woke now seems to mean you are judging people whose judgements do not match yours, or rejecting their perceived prejudice by your own prejudices.
Or

And I agree with your last sentence. Talking about how and why you are ‘woke’ is VS in the worst way.

I don't think people who are considered "woke" actually think of themselves in those terms. I always thought it's a derogatory word used by people who don't like social liberalism.

faye17 Thu 16-Mar-23 01:17:27

Daftbag1

Surely, we don't need new expressions, why can't we use a term like 'respectful' that seems to me far more appropriate, and don't get me started with RESPECT as a new termrm

Right on

Mollygo Wed 15-Mar-23 23:04:48

nanna8

Claiming to be woke now seems to mean you are judging people whose judgements do not match yours, or rejecting their perceived prejudice by your own prejudices.
Or

And I agree with your last sentence. Talking about how and why you are ‘woke’ is VS in the worst way.

Allsorts Wed 15-Mar-23 22:38:31

Monica, you summed it up. I don't need to telling that I need to treat people as people, do unto others. I do object to woke bring applied to anyone with differing views. The surgery was being ridiculous, thats a prime example. People that fling the term about so freely are being prejudiced and judgemental. Do they really think their harrassment will make anyone with a brain to listen?

lyleLyle Wed 15-Mar-23 12:07:57

It is a term used by African Americans to describe being socially conscious.

As usual. cultural appropriation has taken. Now, as you can see right here in gransnet we have groups that couldn’t be further away from the culture of the term’s origin seeking to redefine it as they see it…because that’s what privilege does smh.

loopyloo Wed 15-Mar-23 11:39:40

I suppose the great reformers of the 19th century would have been denounced as being "woke".

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 11:23:34

This is an old thread restarted due to spam.
But it’s a very good excuse to post a link to this R4 series by Matthew Syed.
It’s a thorough and interesting explanation of ‘the journey of the word, Woke’

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001jc1l?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Elegran Wed 15-Mar-23 07:18:48

I am sure it started off as a positive way of referring to the ideal way of treating all kinds of people, but the attitudes of some over-zealous people (what were called "interfering do-gooders" in pre-woke language) mean that it is now widely considered to be a mark of interfering hypocritical moralisers.

A pity, because the intention is admirable, but extremists can spoil many admirable movements.

nanna8 Wed 15-Mar-23 07:08:19

Elegran Wed 15-Mar-23 06:58:26

I failed to add the cartoon. Sorry.

Elegran Wed 15-Mar-23 06:48:37

Before I report a messagefrom a gloria-something to GNHQ for being spam for a specific website, I will quote the part of it that is very relevant to this thread.

"Translation is the process of transferring written information from one language to another. It can be done in a variety of ways, including through software programs, by hiring a professional translator, or by using a machine translation service. Depending on the complexity of the material and the language it is being translated from, the process of translation can be time consuming and difficult. Professional translators must have a deep understanding of both the source and target languages in order to accurately convey the meaning of the text"

Its relevance is that the language of "woke" is trying to say exactly the same thing as most people have been saying for 60 or 70 years, but in a different language. That is evident in the first two replies to the original poster. They both aim to treat everyone the same, but they express that wish in different ways.

OF COURSE it is unpleasant and malicious of anyone to "mock the afflicted" (as Frankie Howard would have said, - ironically usually while portraying someone with several "afflictions" who was busy mocking someone else) or to automatically take the attitude to someone different shown in this cartoon. I, my parents, and my grandparents always knew that. We used the terms we knew to describe those people, but we treated them as you would want them treated, without malice .

However, to extend the "calling out" of those who do either of those things to condemning people whose lives have not been the same as those who speak your language, and who therefore use different terms without any malice to describe others, is being abusive and malicious to another group of people "who may not look like you, or come from the same place as you, or who have had the same experiences as you"

That is not " being kind and generous in your opinions of others."

NanaDana Wed 15-Mar-23 06:37:47

I believe that the concept of "woke" started in the U.S.A., and described the mindset which focused on identifying discrimination against the black community in particular. It has now been extended to include a more broadly based attitude, which addresses any and all perceived forms of discrimination, covering race, gender identity, age, disability , sexual preference, ethnicity etc. etc. Some of the more extreme examples have been criticised as replacing one type of discrimination with another. The promotion of fairness and equality is obviously a positive, but as with all things, extreme examples can attract negative responses, and unfortunately, these examples are often used by critics to characterise all " wokeism" as OTT. Unfortunate, as the root of the concept is good.

gloriathu Wed 15-Mar-23 05:58:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Normandygirl Thu 25-Aug-22 22:41:03

Oopsadaisy1

On FB a couple of weeks ago, our Surgery was inviting ‘people who have a cervix’ to go for a smear test.

That is ‘woke’.

No comment about how I feel about it.

The surgery should know that trans women have no cervix and therefore do not need cervical screening.

Serendipity22 Thu 25-Aug-22 21:53:31

Ohhhhh please, i am me,I am respectful, I am a woman, I qm understanding. End of.

I am not an ant who follows the rest... end of.

kircubbin2000 Thu 25-Aug-22 21:13:36

Stanning or Stan not standing autocorrect,

kircubbin2000 Thu 25-Aug-22 21:11:36

The other word that needs translated is Stan. People talk about standing someone meaning they like them but the word makes no sense.
Being woke is very annoying.Some police have questioned people for wrong think and non hate crimes. Why can't we just think what we like as long as we treat others with respect e an if we dislike or disapprove of them
Another example of woke is police dancing the Macarena at a gay event in Lincoln .

DoraMarr Thu 25-Aug-22 21:03:15

Nope, not woke. Prejudiced, bigoted.

M0nica Thu 25-Aug-22 21:00:55

DoraMarr“But remember all these ideas of what makes someone a woman or a man are entirely culturally driven and vary hugely round the world and I cannot see why we cannot just accept people for what they are“ exactly - that’s woke.

Except it isn't it is the absolute opposite of 'woke' which means screaming out anyone who has different views to you, unplatforming speakers and driving academics out of university posts because they happen not to have views that accord with a vociferous minority.

Daftbag1 Thu 25-Aug-22 20:59:13

Hmmmm ..... I'm not sure that I'm any further forward to be honest. So I'm assessing myself as being a bit thick, does that make me woke because I'm saying that I'm a part of a group, too thick to understand new language (and I want to write awake there as 'i am woke isn't very grammatically correct).

Surely, we don't need new expressions, why can't we use a term like 'respectful' that seems to me far more appropriate, and don't get me started with RESPECT as a new termrm

Galaxy Thu 25-Aug-22 20:54:45

Indeed the worst homophobia I have seen is from the 'woke' there was a recently a very moving piece from a gay man about this.