Gransnet forums

Chat

How many uses can a man find for a clean tea towel?

(80 Posts)
Yammy Wed 21-Sep-22 12:10:54

After reading the thread about frugal things I started to think about what use a man can find for a clean Tea towel other than drying dishes.
Wipe all the dirty work surfaces down meant to be a favour.
Clean his shoes at the last minute.
Wipe his hands after stuffing the chicken and not tell.
Wipe up spills from the floor or cooker.
Wipe kitchen tiles that are splashed with tomato.
Pat meat dry before cooking.
In a hurry clean the car windscreen.
It is hung back up without telling, although we do have a handy supply of old teatowels and towels just for this purpose.hmm

Lovetopaint037 Wed 28-Sep-22 10:02:25

Perhaps these “rogue” dh’s misbehave as a way of being banned from the kitchen. Wouldn’t put it past them.

Prentice Wed 28-Sep-22 09:49:28

grumppa

I only use tea towels for drying the washing up. Am I some kind of a freak?

No indeed, you are a good man.My DH will ask for a cloth for any other purpose, then it can be either washed or thrown away.
I do not think it a matter of the sexes here, but each different person having a different character.

Tizliz Wed 28-Sep-22 08:28:26

Thought of this thread last night when OH kicked the dog’s water bowl and I handed him the tea towel I was using to soak up the water. It did go straight in the washing machine

Yammy Mon 26-Sep-22 13:52:41

I wish I was still yummy though when we landed at this house my next-door neighbour asked me what I was doing with a yummy mummy car, the old mini is still going strong.
Thanks for your support.
Dh knows what I wrote and actually added a few I hadn't said, the mucous made me laugh he hasn't confessed to that one yet.

Esmay Mon 26-Sep-22 13:41:53

Oops Yammy not Yummy !

Esmay Mon 26-Sep-22 13:41:03

Yummy intended this as a light hearted thread and it is .

I'm not the only one who has found tea towels covered in mud , oil and paint .

And here's another mucous from nose blowing .

They all go in the wash with bleach and Dettol .
I hide my best ones .

Norah Mon 26-Sep-22 11:53:18

Dishwasher has a dry feature, I use far less water in the dishwasher than faffing around with dishes after meals. No tea towels, just a stack of kitchen terry towels for hands and spills. Domestos washed.

Yammy Mon 26-Sep-22 11:38:54

Nightsky2

MawtheMerrier

grumppa

Now that's what I call sexism!

Hear, hear!
Are people saying women never grab the nearest thing or do any of these things? blushblush
(I don’t think DH was ever guilty of the above while he was alive either )
But as an aside, I do dislike this jokey “men are so useless” type of generalisation. It’s like saying women can’t park, or Essex girls wear white stilettos and blondes are dim.

I don’t like this thread either hmm

Well try and get it taken down then,I certainly did after what was said about it by grumpa and maw,unfortunately, they took no notice of me.
It also seems to ring a bell with a lot of people. It was meant light-hearted and thank you, everyone, who has taken it as it was meant to be. You seem to see it far more for what it was meant than a sexist attitude towards men in general.
Are we now going to have "Tea towel man ", instead of "Workington man", which in fact nearly hits the spot?hmm

Nightsky2 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:25:36

MawtheMerrier

grumppa

Now that's what I call sexism!

Hear, hear!
Are people saying women never grab the nearest thing or do any of these things? blushblush
(I don’t think DH was ever guilty of the above while he was alive either )
But as an aside, I do dislike this jokey “men are so useless” type of generalisation. It’s like saying women can’t park, or Essex girls wear white stilettos and blondes are dim.

I don’t like this thread either hmm

LuckyFour Mon 26-Sep-22 11:09:30

Blossoming - you seldom go into the kitchen? How have you wangled that?

Ali08 Sun 25-Sep-22 18:23:33

Ours disappear!
But, now I have learned if there are no clean ones, none to be found in a clean wash pile just waiting to be put away......check behind his sofa!!
Yup. He'll be cooking or washing up, go to his sofa for a rest (COPD) & instead of just leaving them where you'd expect, like on the bench, over a unit door or over the back of a dining chair, he'll carry it to his sofa, put his arm across the back of the sofa while still holding the towel. Let go as he shuffles about or picks up th remote. Eventually go back to his task, without the towel which has somehow slipped behind the sofa and then get a fresh one out as he can't remember where the 1st one is....and the cycle continues!
I have tried and tried and tried to get him out of this habit. Hints will be very much appreciated!!

springishere Sat 24-Sep-22 16:48:50

Not all at once, I hope!

Joy241 Sat 24-Sep-22 15:14:14

Callistemon21

Anrol

Sadly my OH doesn’t know what a t-towel is.
Lovely man, useless at “womens” work, unless specifically asked and if it’s drying up, his answer will be; I’ll just leave it here to dry.

Leaving it to dry is probably safer from a health point of view, Anrol, if the state of tea towels on this thread is anything to go by!

Absolutely right! It was something our Control of Infection Dept in the hospital was pretty hot on. Tea towels were banned in ward kitchens

Kartush Sat 24-Sep-22 00:06:25

I dont think any of my tea towels actually get used to dry dishes, they are all just general purpose jack of all trades

f77ms Fri 23-Sep-22 18:12:15

The man In my house uses the tea towel to wipe excess oil of his bike , clean spills off the floor and wipe his face ! He seems to n e untrainable .

seadragon Fri 23-Sep-22 17:59:20

We don't have tea towels. Dishwasher - Eco programme - here....for now at least... Used to be drip dry after wash and rinse in boiling hot water. I've always been suspicious of tea towels....

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 17:23:20

Anrol

Lovely man, useless at “womens” work, unless specifically asked and if it’s drying up, his answer will be; I’ll just leave it here to dry.

Leaving it to dry is probably safer from a health point of view, Anrol, if the state of tea towels on this thread is anything to go by!

MissAdventure Fri 23-Sep-22 17:15:07

My ex used to tie a tea towel round his head like Rambo if he was cooking, as he got all agitated and sweaty.

Happysexagenarian Fri 23-Sep-22 17:12:06

My DH is guilty of many of those 'tea towel crimes' Yammy, and so am I occasionally. But we're still alive and neither of us has ever suffered from food poisoning.

I always keep two tea towels in the kitchen, a fluffy towelling one for drying hands and a smooth linen/cotton one for drying dishes etc. Not that we hand-dry very often. Used cups or glasses are rinsed out and left to dry on the drainer, everything else goes in the dishwasher. All used tea towels, whatever they've been used for, are hot washed every week.

Anrol Fri 23-Sep-22 16:19:05

narrowboatnan Fri 23-Sep-22 15:35:22

My DH is an angler. He steals my tea towels and takes them with him to use for wiping the fish slime off his hands if he catches anything. I refuse to have them back, but he then steals another one if he can't find what he's done with the ones that he's already nicked!

MooM00 Fri 23-Sep-22 14:55:20

Drying the dogs.

parker Fri 23-Sep-22 14:25:59

mine considered new clean tea-towels are for wiping paint brushes!

Riggie Fri 23-Sep-22 13:35:10

Philippa111

I must be a man!! I do quite a few of those things..lol!

Definitely wouldn't be awarded a Domestic Goddess crown!!

Tea towels in my house quickly descend into other cloths. But in any case I never dry dishes !!

Exactly.
I boil wash mine so they are always clean but may be a bit stained from the other stuff I use them for. Of course not being DH, lol, if I use one for something like mopping up a spill on the floor it goes straight in the laundry bin. DH

We were recently in holiday and the cottage had two tea towels for us -one was pristine white so I hid it away!!

Gabrielle56 Fri 23-Sep-22 13:17:48

#floor cloth!!! Edit tool pleeeeeease