Gransnet forums

Chat

What the....oh?!

(152 Posts)
Ali08 Sun 25-Sep-22 19:15:41

As I scroll through various chats in here, names pop up.
One in particular always gets me going, although they are not at fault.
However, every time I see 'HowVeryDareYou' my thoughts go something like this, "What? Now what the hell have I done....oh, nothing, I'm on Gransnet! I'm ok. No problem. All's good, I'm fine. I've done nothing wrong!"
Until a few minutes later and the moniker pops up again...lol.

Do any of you have similar reactions to any names in here?

Blossoming Mon 26-Sep-22 20:56:13

I can’t help seeing Taichinan as a Gaelic place name, even though I know she’s a Nan who does Tai Chi grin

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 20:38:20

Ooh make that last bit a wanny, not a manny.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 20:36:57

I like grannynannymanny.

smile just because it's silly and it's the sort of name we used to think up for my mum.

JaneJudge Mon 26-Sep-22 20:12:19

I have reactions but none I can repeat here

choughdancer Mon 26-Sep-22 20:02:19

It took me a while before I realised that Hithere was Hi there; to start with I read it as Hith-er-ay, and thought it sounded like a Norse goddess.

Urmstongran Mon 26-Sep-22 19:24:48

? to you mrshat! How lovely to actually hear from you it’s been an age. Just wished you’d used a full stop after ‘mrs’ ha!
?

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:17:30

LauraNorderr

Don’t worry Callistemon all in order here.

? well done, keep them all in order!

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:14:33

Musicgirl

My favourite is SirChenjins - very clever. I haven’t seen her here for a while but she is occasionally on Mumsnet.

Oh yes, that was a good name.
Haven't seen SirChenjins on here for a few years.

So many witty names.

Musicgirl Mon 26-Sep-22 17:33:34

My favourite is SirChenjins - very clever. I haven’t seen her here for a while but she is occasionally on Mumsnet.

NotTooOld Mon 26-Sep-22 17:05:04

I chose mine because I'm definitely not - too old, that is. I wouldn't mind changing it but I don't know how. It was not my first/second/third choice. So many good names seem to have been taken already.

Bijou Mon 26-Sep-22 16:59:17

I wish I had chosen a different name when joining.
Bijou has been my nick name since I was three months old when some French speaking aunts said “quell petit bijou” on seeing me for the first time.

Azalea99 Mon 26-Sep-22 16:53:11

I’m Azalea99 because there was already a Kate49, so I decided on Azalea49 but mistyped!

Chestnut Mon 26-Sep-22 16:14:15

One of the most intriguing names is of course Chewbacca, a fabulous choice, but I can't imagine looks like her namesake.

Also love Anniebach because I immediately know she's Welsh and imagine her surrounded by rolling green hills and valleys. That makes me think of my mother's family.

LauraNorderr Mon 26-Sep-22 16:13:27

Oh yes I agree Jaxjacky, EkwaNimitee is clever and also MissAdventure

Jaxjacky Mon 26-Sep-22 16:08:30

I like EkwaNimitee clever. along with SueDonim

mrshat Mon 26-Sep-22 15:58:58

I'm still here Urms and delighted to have caused amusement to many!!! It never crossed my mind that my name could be misinterpreted!!!! It comes from a long way back when I was still working (a lot of multitasking!) so some friendly folk named me Mrs Hat as in "go and ask Mrs ........ which hat she is wearing today".
I seldom post - not much to say, but do try to catch up daily.
Keep safe and well folk and keep smiling wink

Juno56 Mon 26-Sep-22 15:40:34

Whenever I see the name Marydoll it makes me think of my very favourite doll when I was a child. Mary was soft and squashy with golden hair and I loved her very much ?. I hasten to add that I do not picture the GN Marydoll as soft and squashy ?.
A poster up thread asked why people had numbers as part of their username. In my case I wanted Juno because when I joined GN I imagined that everyone would be domestic goddesses (which I definitely am not) so I would have the name of the queen of the Roman gods. For some reason I was not allowed to call myself just Juno so I had to add a number.

LauraNorderr Mon 26-Sep-22 15:22:28

Don’t worry Callistemon all in order here.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 14:50:08

I must admit I misunderstood Orlin at first, LauraNorderr, thinking he was 'all in' ie feeling worn out!

LauraNorderr Mon 26-Sep-22 14:36:21

Nice to know that my username is appreciated. Had to add the extra r when I returned from a brief absence.
I like SueDonim and also think that MOnica is a clever one..
Mumofmadboys also makes me smile as I too am the mum of mad boys or perhaps I am madmumofboys.
I do think that after a while we become familiar with poster names and are drawn to some of them in spite of their name.
I must admit I’m more often drawn to the cheery and upbeat posters, too many to mention but will single out Urms, who brings sunshine to the threads whether from Manchester or Malaga.

Joy241 Mon 26-Sep-22 14:11:01

Castlemon. And Urmstongran I too had to reregister and this easy for me to remember

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 14:10:21

?

I like Terribull as well and read it as Terrible.

I wonder if there are any Terry Bulls in RL? It's probably not unusual

TerriBull Mon 26-Sep-22 14:08:32

I thank those who gave the thumbs up to my name, I think I had terrible in mind when I chose it, rather than bullish possibly I can be both though. I do try to live up to my name occasionally grin

Sometimes I wonder whether it's time for a change, I have toyed with other user names such as A.King-Legge shock

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 14:06:15

grannyrebel7

Usuallyright name annoys me.

I think it's meant to be a joke!

Yes I read Mrs Hat the other way as well.
I didn't. I must have led a sheltered life ?

lizzypopbottle Mon 26-Sep-22 13:57:23

My parents would never allow me to be called anything but Elizabeth. One day, when I was about three years old, our next-door-neighbour leaned over the garden wall and said, "Hello Lizzy Pop Bottle!" I bristled, climbed on my high horse and replied, all hoity toity, "My name's Elizabeth!" The story was retold many times so, when I needed a user name, that one seemed appropriate.

Another one I've used in the past, on another forum, came from a tourism poster promoting Scotland's "untamed beauty" but it was quickly shortened to UTB. ?