Gransnet forums

Chat

Microwaves been out of fashion?

(109 Posts)
Zoejory Tue 27-Sep-22 00:07:31

Sorry for the Daily Mail link but I've just read this article about Alice Beer discussing microwaves on This Morning.

Apparently they've been out of fashion since the 80s. Nobody uses them any more. Really?

I don't think we even had a microwave in the 80s but have one now which is used 3 or 4 times a week.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11251413/This-Morning-viewers-baffled-Alice-Beer-claims-microwaves-havent-used-1980s.html#comments

Doodledog Fri 30-Sep-22 17:59:04

I've never had a soup maker, although I do make a lot of soup with the aid of a sharp knife and a stick blender smile). My son has one though, and uses it a lot.

M0nica Fri 30-Sep-22 13:10:20

All of us have different eating patterns, or rather cooking patterns and what devices we us depends on those. I use my air fryer less than I expected, mainly because I do not eat lumps of meat. I do not like chicken so never roast a chicken piece in it or anything like that, on the other hand we eat a lot of casseroles and stews, so my slow cooker is constantly in use as is my microwave. I also have a griddle on my cooker so things like sausages, bacon, tomatoes get cooked on the griddle.

We have a lot of soup, but I found a soup maker more trouble than it was use, thankfully it broke under guarantee, so I was able to get my money back.

We all do things our own way, and find what suits us. DD has a small airfryer and uses it constantly.

Doodledog Thu 29-Sep-22 21:21:34

'Don't mock what you haven't tried' has long been my motto.

I have an air fryer, and use that alongside a microwave, a pressure cooker a slow cooker and an oven. They all have their uses. I have been out this evening and came home to find that Mr Dog had prepared some stuffed baked potatoes, which were cooked in the microwave. I reheated mine in the air fryer to crisp up the skins and they were delicious. I made spiced cheesy lentils in the pressure cooker yesterday, and had a dollop of those, heated in the microwave whilst the potatoes cooked, as a side dish (or were the potatoes the side?). Not a ready meal in sight, and I had a nutritious meal within minutes of getting home. None of my gadgets will go to the charity shop.

(Now, the spiraliser is another matter grin)

Reggie20 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:15:35

Ah, but we are all out of date now, as the new fangled thing is - ta da da.. the air fryer!
I looked at them.. they seem ok to warm things up in or cook a couple of bits of chicken.. well, we have microwaves for that, right?
Watch for many, many airfryers in charity shops before too much longer.. ;-)

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:55:02

grannypiper

Does she know how many microwave meals M&S sell every week ?

Microwave meals ?

Ms Beer would never lower herself to the standard of M&S ready meals!

grannypiper Thu 29-Sep-22 19:07:46

Does she know how many microwave meals M&S sell every week ?

Theoddbird Thu 29-Sep-22 18:49:54

Not had one in probably fifteen years. That was when one I had stopped working and I decided I didn't use it enough to replace. I think they are a waste of space. Just my opinion...

Shizam Thu 29-Sep-22 18:34:09

I bought one for the first time only a few years ago. Just a basic model. It’s so useful. I’m very slow to embrace gadgets which is my loss! ?

Lizzie44 Thu 29-Sep-22 17:46:03

Never had a microwave, never wanted one. However, I'm impressed with the info in these posts about the saving in fuel costs. Could be tempted to get one but these days my brain is a bit slow and I fear I might struggle to understand how to use one. Not good with new and/or technical gadgets. Will ponder.

Margiknot Thu 29-Sep-22 17:15:02

We had a microwave multi function table top cooker ( wedding present) before we had a full size gas cooker back in the 80s or fridge. The microwave was our first appliance! I had just returned from a warm climate where cooking was almost all done by microwave, to avoid excessive heat in the house. Perhaps stand alone microwaves have been replaced by multifunction microwave cookers now?
We use our multifunction microwave every day. Perhaps Im out of date too!

Awesomegranny Thu 29-Sep-22 17:13:36

I find they are great for reheating food, and jacket potatoes

Peaseblossom Thu 29-Sep-22 17:00:22

That’s utter rubbish, I use mine every day. To reheat drinks I’ve left to get cold, to make milky coffee, to heat up meals, to soften hard butter, to defrost items, to cook sponge puddings, etc. etc.

Bijou Thu 29-Sep-22 16:59:59

I inherited my first microwave from my mother in1990.
In those days a comprehensive book came with it. There is very little you cannot cook in a microwave.
Now that because of my mobility problems and age I cannot cook anything involving saucepans of hot water or a frying pan, I use the microwave all the time from heating a cup of milk to cooking a Bolognese sauce . Much quicker but tremendous saving on electricity. I do not buy ready meals everything is cooked from scratch. An egg only takes 40 seconds and bacon four minutes, a frozen fillet of fish three minutes.
I do use my breadmaker because I am worried about all the additives in supermarket bread.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 29-Sep-22 16:57:25

Utterly invaluable and much cheaper than they oven

garnet25 Thu 29-Sep-22 16:51:15

I also have a combined microwave/oven with a grill. I use it quite a bit as it is so fast. However, for me, the best use is for making frothy milk in my old cafetiere, I froth the milk using the plunger then pop it in the microwave for 1 minute giving me lovely warm frothy milk for cappachinos.

semperfidelis Thu 29-Sep-22 16:38:00

I have used a combi convection oven, with grill and microwave function for over 29 years. They have the advantage of being a small oven which is very quick to heat, a grill which is useful for browning dishes, or just be used as a microwave for reheating and cooking fruit and vegetables. They are brilliant!

suelld Thu 29-Sep-22 15:58:08

I had my first Microwave in c.1983… it lasted and was regularly used until c. 2000 . At that point I moved house and my adult sons insisted it was old and ugly ( which it was!) but it still worked and was a nice large size I countered… but sons insisted I get a new modern one and paid for it… the new one immediately blew up! So another replacement followed! Last year I was hospitalised and whilst there my youngest son moved into my house to help - and somehow managed to blow up that microwave!! So he bought yet another for me!
Oddly however, though I wouldn’t be without one, I bought a microwave mug cake recipe book for that youngest son ( 41 ) who normally lives near London ( I’m in West Wales) and he told me he doesn’t have a microwave…. I was shocked I thought it was an essential piece of kit for a single bloke! shock

jocork Thu 29-Sep-22 15:28:41

I bought one in 1990 as we built an extension and finally had room for one. My daughter was a baby so it was used a lot for heating up baby food in the beginning, but I wouldn't be without it. I start jacket potatoes off in it as it speeds up the process so don't need the oven on as long, though I like them finished in the oven for a crispy skin.

The only mothballed microwave I'm aware of is the one at my church which normally lives on top of a high cupboard, but even that one is currently down on the kitchen surface as we used it about a week ago to heat up a vegetarian alternative meal as most of the attendees at our alpha course were eating cottage pie and we just had one vegetarian to cater for. We've left it there until the current series of meetings is over in case we need to heat up a separate meal again.

Irismarle Thu 29-Sep-22 15:28:02

I use mine every day to warm the dinner plates (5-10 seconds at medium). Also for starting baked potatoes and softening carrots; also for melting things. I often pop in half a cup of coffee that I’ve allowed to get cold. I occasionally buy ready made desserts like sticky toffee pudding when we have visitors that say microwaving gives the best results. I wouldn’t be without mine though I don’t use it a huge amount.

jerseygirl Thu 29-Sep-22 14:45:17

I got one in the 90's i think you could get them in the 80's but they were too expensive. I wouldn't be without mine, that and my airfryer

Grannyjacq1 Thu 29-Sep-22 14:19:47

I heard someone on the radio talking about washing lines and the concept of 'drying your washing outside' as if it was a new concept!! Really?? smile

Caleo Thu 29-Sep-22 14:06:18

I use mine for making cocoa with oat milk, getting the lid off rock hard ice cream, warming my tea as I like it half oat milk. I use the microwave in conjunction with the table top mini oven when I make a large casserole for guests in the mini oven and need the mini oven for quickly roasting par-boiled potatoes.

Amalegra Thu 29-Sep-22 13:49:49

Wouldn’t be without my microwave. So handy, quick and cheap for so many things! Once you are familiar with them, can be used for dishes that take quite a time on the hob and in the oven, such as sponge/steamed puddings which I love. An absolute necessity along with my slow cooker and air fryer.

Grantanow Thu 29-Sep-22 13:47:31

I'm afraid the Daily Wail is full of rubbish. Here it's horses for courses - microwave, oven, hob, air fryer as needed. Better read The Guardian!

PamQS Thu 29-Sep-22 13:45:53

@NotSpaghetti - my son and D-I-L had a crisis with the cooker in their rented flat, and asked if they could borrow my super-duper combo oven. As far as I know, with 3 small children they still use it frequently. Quickest jacket potatoes ever!