Gransnet forums

Chat

Houseplants

(36 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 19:08:35

Would you throw away an ugly plant?

I am getting more and more cluttered in here, and I have a very "plain" plant.

Should it go?

LilyoftheValley Wed 28-Sep-22 10:18:25

Freecycle. Great way to deal with anything unwanted or that does not fit.

Callistemon21 Wed 28-Sep-22 10:10:25

MissAdventure

Give a plant a home!

I'd adopt it but 'buyer collects' is out of the question!

Redhead56 Wed 28-Sep-22 07:56:17

It’s needs a bigger pot by the looks of it and some grit in the soil. I feel sorry for it no wonder it looks ?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 23:14:06

Well, hopefully it'll find someone to love and nurture it.
It's hardly been looked at here, so it's not fair on it.

Mapleleaf Tue 27-Sep-22 23:09:46

My orchid looks like yours, MissAdventure. It re-bloomed a couple of years ago, but nothing since. However, I rather like it’s glossy green leaves, and live in hope that it may bloom again in a few years, so it remains on the dresser in the kitchen. I hate getting rid of plants, and try my best to keep them going, probably because they’re living things (?), but sometimes, they give up and I have to bin them, sadly.

Esspee Tue 27-Sep-22 22:04:38

I offered my orchids free to a good home on Gumtree when I was leaving to go to New Zealand to live. I had loads of people asking to look after them.
They flower about twice a year with blooms lasting up to three months so almost half the year each one had flowers. When resting I put the plants in a bedroom out of the way.

crazyH Tue 27-Sep-22 22:00:21

Never heard of Olio - yes Miss A, it has to go ?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 21:55:49

Give a plant a home!

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 21:54:44

I'm a big fan of Olio.
The onus is on the person who wants something to come and pick an item up.

ixion Tue 27-Sep-22 21:51:46

Freecycle?

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 21:50:55

Bye bye orchid ?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 21:37:26

smile
Nope. No can do.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 21:35:57

I've never thought of matching my plants to my decor but then I'm not very stylish!

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 21:34:23

You could change it to a tasteful purple ?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 21:33:26

It's purple, though, and my living room is green and red.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 21:23:27

It's not ugly, it's a duckling waiting to transform into a swan
sad

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 20:37:08

I'm going to do it.

I'll put it on the Olio app, I think.

Someone can come and pick it up if they want it.

SueDonim Tue 27-Sep-22 20:31:58

I evicted two orchids recently. I’d spent time and money (for special food) on them, talked to them nicely, gave them a nice home on a window sill, all to no avail.

I then told them they were on borrowed time and if they didn’t pull their socks up, they were out. They ignored me so I followed though on my threat and by now I assume they’re compost in the council’s yard. grin

lixy Tue 27-Sep-22 20:27:25

Then do it a good turn and send it somewhere else. It will be happier and so will you.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 20:14:18

No, it fills me with resentment, actually.
Daft, I know, but it doesn't fit in here at all.

lixy Tue 27-Sep-22 20:11:07

Is it beautiful? Does it give you joy? Is it useful?

If not, then on to the pavement with a 'free to a good home' label or contribute it to a jumble sale/school fair. Someone will have the space to give it a chance to reflower.

Failing that, put it outside for a few nights. I put mine out into the garden for a bit of Summer freedom and the slugs absolutely loved it - nothing left to bring back indoors!

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 20:00:55

I don't want it to grow a big long stem again, though.
It reminded me of a periscope - the kind with an eyeball in the middle of it, like on the cartoons.

Rosie51 Tue 27-Sep-22 20:00:40

I managed to keep an orchid for 5 years with repeat flowering. You should have cut the long stem down to the highest node it would have sprouted a new flowering stem. Eventually it stopped sprouting new shoots, I got bored with it stagnating with just the leaves, so I binned it grin Suggest you do the same.

BlueBelle Tue 27-Sep-22 19:58:24

It will probably flower again they go into a static mode for a few months then suddenly burst out with new flowers
Put it somewhere you re not going to see it too much and just water it every fortnight and it might surprise you
Mine was at ugly stage for ages then burst out three or four new blooms it’s gone back to ugly again I just put it somewhere unimportant and who knows see what happens

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 19:46:16

This one seems to enjoy being ignored.
The leaves look like big droopy long tongues, now.
It's really dark green as well.